Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Some people mistake me that all I care about is individual stats but that's never been my game," he said.

"I don't think a lot of people really get that."

"I love to get assists. I love to get 10 assists before I score 30 points. It's just that I have the ability to do both.

A lot of guys never had the ability to be able to do both. It's great to do that, but I feel like if I ain't winning then it don't mean s*** to me."

Wall's numbers are historically good for his age and he is aware of the company he's in. He is one of only four players to average at least 18 points, nine assists and four rebounds per game through their first eight NBA seasons. The other three were Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson and Chris Paul. Johnson and Robertson are Hall of Famers and Paul will be there someday. 

Statistically, Wall is on a Hall of Fame track, but he wants much more than a plaque in Springfield, Massachusetts.

"I think about all of that. Everybody thinks about the Hall of Fame and being the franchise scoring leader and all that," he said. "I have all of those goals, but it don't mean s*** if you don't win at the end of the day. You can be a loser and have all of these records, but what does that stand for?"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Sounds bad but we are saving roughly 7m

Now that I understand the terms of the trade, it doesn't seem as bad as I first thought.

It's not good, but it's not horrible.  The Meeks signing was a total bust and Still is right that giving Meeks a player option was a stupid and inexplicable mistake.

But getting out of his contract to lessen our luxury tax bill and free up the roster spot is the right call.  His suspension for PEDs made him an anchor.

We have two roster spots open right now.  We have to get to at least 14.  I wonder who is going to get the new spot?

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Now that I understand the terms of the trade, it doesn't seem as bad as I first thought.

It's not good, but it's not horrible.  The Meeks signing was a total bust and Still is right that giving Meeks a player option was a stupid and inexplicable mistake.

But getting out of his contract to lessen our luxury tax bill and free up the roster spot is the right call.  His suspension for PEDs made him an anchor.

We have two roster spots open right now.  We have to get to at least 14.  I wonder who is going to get the new spot?

it reduces the bill for this season, but it costs us a cheap asset when those will be increasingly important given our salary cap circumstances the next couple of years.

we got like 110+mil tied up in 5 guys next year. draft picks will be essential. nobody good is coming here for the vet minimum

• Like 1

Some good stuff from Albert Burneko from his NBA preview

By the end of last season, coach Brad Stevens probably was getting a little bit too much credit for this—you’d have thought he was steering Tatum around the court with an Xbox controller, judging by some of the praise—and the players too little. But still. Particularly as a Wizards fan, it’s pretty remarkable to watch how well and with how little apparent friction Stevens’s Celtics integrate the strengths and mitigate the weaknesses of literally everyone who makes his way onto the floor in a Boston uniform.

And there are some deeply imperfect assholes on this team! Morris and Smart are assholes! Irving is a dull, performatively galaxy-brained flat-earther! Rozier is a hothead who wants to fight everyone! Baynes looks like a hipster bartender from Brooklyn dressed up like a switchel brewer from colonial Vermont and I hate him! Put these same players in Wizards uniforms and the result would be a clown car plunging into a volcano. In Boston they’re a model of interpersonal harmony.

The point here is that the Celtics can roast in hell.

for the rest click here (and you really should, if only to see the gif he chose to represent the hornets): https://deadspin.com/a-timely-preview-of-the-2018-19-nba-season-which-ah-1829802308

Sidenote: If the Redskins ever do change the name and all that, I think I just found the right logo.  "a clown car plunging into a volcano." ?

This is a must-win.  We're getting Miami coming off a tough loss on the second night of a back to back.  After them it's Toronto and then a five game West road trip.  Three of the five away games are winnable, but no road trip is easy.  We're going to lose to Golden State and Portland most likely, and it won't be easy beating Toronto.  If we don't show up these first seven games, we will find ourselves in a huge hole immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is a must-win.  We're getting Miami coming off a tough loss on the second night of a back to back.  After them it's Toronto and then a five game West road trip.  Three of the five away games are winnable, but no road trip is easy.  We're going to lose to Golden State and Portland most likely, and it won't be easy beating Toronto.  If we don't show up these first seven games, we will find ourselves in a huge hole immediately.

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Good lord.  The first game of the season is not a “must win”.

I agree with McQueen. THE #1 biggest mission for me this season is that the Wizards WIN GAMES THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO WIN. You flat-out don't achieve goals like 50 wins or top playoff seed if you don't WIN GAMES AGAINST TEAMS YOU CLAIM TO BE BETTER THAN.

I think I've said before in this thread but losing (or even splitting) the season series with teams like the Knicks, Hornets, Hawks, Magic or even mid-level teams like Miami only makes you a joke of a 40-win squad. A puff piece. A hollow playoff entry. Every game like tonight's matchup is a MUST F***ING WIN.

Edited by Chachie