Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Let's talk standings.  

Boston only has 5 road games left the rest of the season, three of which are against the Knicks, Nets, and 76ers.  Cavs have 9.  Wizards 11 and they include Boston, Cavs, Clippers, Jazz, and Warriors.

Finishing top 2 is going be a battle.  Wouldn't be shocked if the east finishes 1- Celtics 2- Cavs 3- Wizards.  That's not good.  

4 hours ago, Destino said:

Let's talk standings.  

Boston only has 5 road games left the rest of the season, three of which are against the Knicks, Nets, and 76ers.  Cavs have 9.  Wizards 11 and they include Boston, Cavs, Clippers, Jazz, and Warriors.

Finishing top 2 is going be a battle.  Wouldn't be shocked if the east finishes 1- Celtics 2- Cavs 3- Wizards.  That's not good.  

Darn. I never thought of it that way. Whenever I thought of someone overtaking Cleveland for the #1 spot, I assumed it'd be us or no one. It never occurred to me that finishing in the top 3 could still result in us facing Cleveland prior to the ECF.

With that in mind, I'm now thinking that we can only afford to drop 1 game prior to the final Cleveland game. That Boston game might be a must-win.

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Remaining games.

Darn.....that means we have one of the toughest remaining schedules in the East, while Boston has the easiest remaining schedule in the league. Fortunetely Cleveland has one of the toughest remaining schedules in the league, though part of that is that they play us one more time.

30 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Darn.....that means we have one of the toughest remaining schedules in the East, while Boston has the easiest remaining schedule in the league. Fortunetely Cleveland has one of the toughest remaining schedules in the league, though part of that is that they play us one more time.

Yeah Boston has a cakewalk to end the year.  They've gotten most of their road games over with and only play two more teams from the West, neither of which will make the playoffs.  And they have four guaranteed wins coming from their crappy division opponents.

I just noticed that we have the best record against the Western Conference in the East.  This road trip actually helped us.

2 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Holy crap, Beal's ppg is now up to 23.2, ahead of Wall's 23.1!

That's as it should be.  Beal is our most talented scorer and it was unnatural for a pass first PG like Wall to lead his team in scoring every  year.  It was a sign of the weakness of our team, and also that Beal wasn't ready to fulfill his destiny of being the first option volume scorer for our offense.

Beal is making the leap and as a result, the team is making the leap with him.

Tangential discussion: a one star team is probably only going to be a 50+ win contender if everything is going right around him.  A two star team is a whole different animal.  Basically everything has to be going wrong for a two star team not to hit 50 wins.  You get a tremendous margin for error when you've got two stars powering you.

• Like 1

nba.com gave an interesting stat about the Wizards in their power ranking: only the Spurs and Rockets have trailed by 15+ points for fewer minutes this season than the Wizards.  They also pointed out that only the Pacers have come back to win more games when they trailed by 15+.

Meaning almost all of our games have been competitive the whole way, and we've shown the ability to dig out of those holes and come back.  We're a top five team this year.

Offensively we can beat you many ways. We can hit 3s, we can go inside, and Wall can always just take over games(well not always, but pretty often). Just wish we would be a little better on D. We give up too many 3s and easy dribble penetration. But we are able to stifften up and make stands late when it matters most(like that Wall block on Lillard).

• Like 1

Lou Williams is scoring 9 ppg on 25% shooting this month.  We dodged a bullet there.  The Rockets paid high for him and he's in the process of regressing to his mean.  They got fooled by him putting up big numbers gunning for an awful Lakers team.  I can't believe the Lakers had the nerve to demand Oubre with our first round pick for Williams.  And we haven't even gotten to Sweet Lou's disappearing act in the playoffs yet.

Meanwhile Bojan is average 18 ppg on 53% shooting during that same stretch.  And we dumped Nicholson for our trouble.  I think Bojan is flat out better than Lou Williams.  But not only that, he plays the two, three, and four for us.  The lesson here is don't trade first round picks to rent 30 year old 6' 98 pound guards for a year and a half.  Now it could also be don't trade first round picks for a three month rental of anybody, even if they're a stud sixth man like Bojan.  But we'll see if we're able to keep him this summer.

• Like 4

Here I sit absolutely excited for every Wiz game like never before. Honestly with the Ashburn circus, and the even worse god-awful apologists sipping Kool Aid because we signed Terelle Pryor, it's so nice to have the Wiz and Caps (losing streak be damned) to look forward to every night. I remember back in 2005 posting in the Wizards section of the forum, rooting for the Big 3, which despite some fun moments, was just never able to build something special. And then the disaster that followed with the guns ...

We deserve this for the ******** this franchise spun out for so long. Thom Loverro was on the radio as some clown was trying to knock down Wiz fans, and Thom said with what the fanbase gone through since the 1980s, they have a lifetime pass as far as he's concerned to quit or do whatever (which is 100% true by the way).

To watch legitimacy and relevance form game by game is so fun. Let's keep this going gentlemen! First step is a 50-win season. 

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 2

Oh I think we'll get to 50.  Barring a collapse.  I'm sitting here breaking down the schedule game by game to see if we can get to 54.  I think it's possible, but we're going to have to win a lot of tough games.  This is my take on the remaining ones:

@ Minny - surprisingly tough.  End of an exhausting trip.  Minny is playing league best defense since the AS break and recently beat the Clippers and Warriors

Dallas - tougher than it looks too.  Dallas has been playing really well the past several weeks and the Texas teams always seem to own us.

Chicago - this team is falling off, we should beat them

@ Charlotte - we need to win this game.  Second night of a back to back, so it will be tough.

@ Boston - this one will be rough.  But if we win it, that will be a huge help for finishing ahead of them in the standings.

Atlanta - we need to win this game too, but Atlanta is never easy to beat

Brooklyn - a must win.

@ Cleveland - another rough game, kicking off our last awful road trip on the second night of a back to back.  But Cleveland is struggling and we have a chance to win this one.

@ Lakers - a must win

@ Clippers - a tough one.  Probably going to take a loss, it's the second night of a back to back.

@ Utah - another tough but winnable game.  Utah has been up and down recently.  But they handled us when they came to DC

@ Warriors - they've been playing like crap but this is probably going to be a loss.

Charlotte - a must win

@ Knicks - also a must win

Miami - We need to win this one too.  We haven't beaten Miami this year and they're playing really well.

@ Detroit - Another must win.  But like Miami, Detroit is going to be fighting for their playoff lives.  This one could be dangerous

@ Miami - So could this one.  But again, we need to win it.

I see like 11 games we should win, but only like three or four gimmes.  This is a weird part of the season.