Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Morris's production is dropping because his role is different. Prior to the Allstar break Morris was the anchor off the bench. Now it's Bogdonovic. No chance is he taking that role back from Bojan.

its not the production that worries me, its how he's going about his game thats troubling

1 minute ago, TheItalianStallion said:

I'll take the win, but the play of Oubre, Porter, and Morris as of late is very worrisome. I'm no longer convinced that we're the favorite to face Cleveland in the ECF.

Especially not if we fall out of the third seed and have to play them in the second round.  I can feel it coming.  The swift kick to the nuts of falling behind Toronto in the final week of the season.

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Mahinmi 7 steals?!?  Is that a record?

I doubt it, but there were records set:

The Wizards shot 53 free throws, the most in the NBA this season, and made 42 of them. The Suns were 26 of 33.

No one benefited more than Bogdanovic, who set a franchise record for free throws made by going 16 of 16.

http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=400900343

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

definitely a finger gun though

It was and I KNEW that's why he was ejected. Lol

I'm not tripping off of Porter. He'll get the stroke back and he shows up in other areas that we need. He stays getting those air ball offensive rebounds.

Morris is a concern. He's not giving the effort he was when I first started watching this year in mid-January. I don't know what's up.

Also, there's no way I'm going to be able to stay up for these games. Fell asleep in the middle of the third. Woke up and info commercials were on lol 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

Totally missed this during the game. Wtf lol

I couldn't wrap my head around it when I first saw the clip this AM...but apparently, a drumstick rolled on the court.  Harambe looks funny, but he did the right thing.  Could have been a bad injury if someone stepped on it.

Anyways, SO happy to wake up and read that we won the game last night.  The +/- wasn't looking good for Gortat...Mahinmi must have been reading the criticism on here and took it to heart.  Dude was ballin'. 

The more and more I think about it, I'm coming to the conclusion that Gortat WILL be traded this offseason.  The biggest takeaway is that moving him frees up cap space to re-sign both Bobo and Porter.  Secondly, I don't think there would be a crazy decline with our offense if we had both Mahinmi and Smith as our starting/backup 5s.  Gortat, for as good as he is with screening and running the PnR is SUCH a liability on defense that it almost negates his impact on offense.  He's going to get eaten alive in the playoffs if he doesn't improve. 

I wouldn't trade Gortat unless I absolutely had to.  He's an iron man on a bargain contract and Mahinmi is injury prone.  Mahinmi also fouls a ton and he can't shoot free throws so playing him late in games is an adventure.  Gortat is a much better offensive player than Mahinmi.  He helps John and Brad so much because he might be the best screen setter in the game and he couples that with being a terrific PnR finisher.  He's also a threat on the offensive glass.  He's the ideal dirty work 5th option center and has adjusted to his steady decline in offensive role without a word of complaint.

He's not a great defensive player, but he's not terrible.  He works on that end and closes out on three point shooters when the guards hang him out to dry.  When the guards and Morris commit to playing that end of the court, we play really good D.

If you've watched the Spurs this year, then you've seen how effective a good three man rotation of PF/Cs can be.  And when Pau went down, they didn't miss a beat.  They just increased the work load of David Lee and DeWayne Dedmon and Pop takes a hot hand approach to the position.  Some nights we'll need Gortat's offense more than Mahinmi's defense, and vice versa.  Scott will get the feel for rotating them as Mahinmi works his way back and becomes a familiar part of the line ups.

About the playoffs--I think it's the opposite RA15.  I think Gortat is going to be a major boon.  Most of the EC teams are soft as Hell inside.  Cleveland and Boston are tiny and shallow at the position.  Toronto only has Ibaka, Valanciunas is still unreliable.  Indy and Atlanta have some size, and having front court depth helps us deal with them.

And God forbid, if we actually made it to the Finals, then you're facing one of two options:

- A Golden State team that's soft inside too.  Cleveland murdered GS inside in the last two Finals and Zaza Pachulia would probably be the fourth or fifth best big on our team.

- A San Antonio team that's strong as hell inside.  If we want to match up with them, we're going to need a lot of bodies to throw at them.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1