Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think we end the year at 11th or 12th in the east, in year 6 of the John Wall era rebuild. What a disaster.

It is so depressing to watch a team like Boston go on a multi-year championship run. Completely rebuild their roster in 3 years. Bring in a new coach. Gather young talent. Aquire draft picks. Meanwhile, we keep on our 10 year plan. It is embarrassing. 

Edited by Duckus

I wonder if part of the problem is layers and coaches came into it thinking that this was a set-up year, a year before Durant, and that built in some complacency?

That's exactly what I feel happened with all the moves towards making sure we had cap space next year instead of building on the the success from last year this season. There's no plan B if Durant doesn't come here, and we all see it coming.

We are giving up 10 3s a game and allowing 40 percent from 3. Dead last in the league.

Last year?

8 3s and 35 percent from 3.

What's crazy is that, in theory, we should be better at defending the three ball by going small and not playing Nene at PF. You get a faster defender for rotations and closeouts to the perimeter. But our three point defense has become the worst in the league. We're getting torched.

I think we end the year at 11th or 12th in the east, in year 6 of the John Wall era rebuild. What a disaster.

It is so depressing to watch a team like Boston go on a multi-year championship run. Completely rebuild their roster in 3 years. Bring in a new coach. Gather young talent. Aquire draft picks. Meanwhile, we keep on our 10 year plan. It is embarrassing. 

Thats always been the Ernie Grunfeld way. He's very much akin to Vinny Cerrato. No real long term vision, just band aids every year.

I still think some team will give him a max offer

teams are stupid

Not with his current numbers. He's shooting so poorly and turning it over so much that his advanced metrics are pretty bad. He would struggle to get Danny Green money if the contract were based on the numbers. 14.8 PER is below league average and his 98 ORtg is particularly terrible.

Two fairly serious injuries already this season also hurts him too.

But I also expect him to pick up his level of play and improve his numbers. I expect him to come alive for a stretch run, and for him to play big in the playoffs if we make it. That's his ticket to a max contract.

Has Beal ever had a good PER?  14.8 is higher than any season average he's had in the NBA. 

For Comparison purposes, here are the PERs for other SGs in their 4th year:

James Harden 23.0

Jimmy Butler 21.3

Kevin Martin 21.0

Klay Thompson 20.8

JJ Reddick 15.0

DeMar DeRozan 14.7

Wesley Matthews 14.1

Beal needs to get healthy and produce some big numbers.  Or he needs a desperate team like Dallas to make him an offer. 

I wish I had your confidence in him SM

Put it this way, I have confidence in his ability and his personality, but not his health.

He was playing at the level we needed before he got hurt, and then for a brief moment before this new injury popped up. The issue is that he keeps getting hurt and it keeps killing his ability to consistently produce.

But if you determine Bradley Beal is a key piece of your foundation, then I don't think you can let fear of injury push you off that determination. Even with a player with Beal's extensive injury history. Future injuries are still too unknowable. Steph Curry had the injury prone label during his first contract and has been a rock since he signed his extension. On the flip side, Westbrook and Durant were tanks that were near the league lead in minutes played during their first contracts and then lost a lot of time during the second deal with serious injuries. Unless you're talking about old players nearing the end of their careers, injuries are mostly a crap shoot.

Damn that drive was nasty.

Dallas' defense is soft. Every half court possession needs to start with a Wall drive to the rim as our first option.

Oubre's rebounding is fantastic.

Dallas's perimeter defense sucks and they don't have many rim protectors. We need to exploit the crap out of this. It will open up the entire floor for us.

So Dallas got a bunch of offensive boards in that first quarter and had a +4 turnover margin. They had tons more possessions and we are only down two. This is a winnable game. Just need to attack the rim relentlessly.

Oubre needs to get like 30 minutes tonight.

Attack Wall

Randy needs to be in Wall's ear: "no pull up jumpers before the five second mark. Don't care if you foul out on charges, drive every time you get a glimmer of a step.

March needs to do a better job on Pachulia.

Pachulia traveled on that possession, was in the key for more than three seconds, and then fouled Gortat as he came down with the rebound. Called for none. Impressive.