Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

At the current arc, Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, and Detroit will be contenders in the East for the next 5 years. That leaves us with Milwaukee, Miami, Toronto, and New York. So at best, we are 5-6th spot in the East from years prior, now, and into the forseable future. We should aspire to be more than that. Witt and Ernie have no idea how to do that. In seasons past it might have been ok to be mediocre. But everyone rebooted, drafted well, hired better coaches, and are looking good now. Mediocre isnt an option anymore.

I would like to know who we are going to target when Durant decides not to come here, because I dont see anyone worth sabotaging two seasons of FA signings over.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

PJ Ted took over the team in 2010. In five seasons we've made the playoffs twice, won a series in convincing fashion each time, and were a hair away from the conference finals last season. Snyder's owned the team for 15 seasons and only three have been winning seasons. And eight of those seasons have been last place finishes. The only three times we had good seasons, we didn't sustain any success from them. It was immediately back to being a laughing stock. I think you can expect, with confidence, for the Wizards to be a consistent playoff participant moving forward. I would be thrilled if the Redskins got to even that level of competence.

I did adjust my post to say he was a minority owner up until 2010. But with Pollin's failing health during that time, I'm sure Ted had some influence and Abe was priming him for the takeover.

I think the rest of East got better this year and we didn't. Sure the Wizards aren't a laughingstock, because no one cares. They've been the Clippers East for 30 years now. I'd venture to say we probably have the worst overall won/lost record in the East since 1980.

I don't see Otto as a star caliber player. He's going to be a good role player that has a 13 year career and plays for at least 5 teams.

Wall is a star point guard, but an inconsistent scorer at best. He needs offensive firepower around him and at least another ball handler on the floor with him. He also needs a better coach that can figure out how to use him off the ball, Wall works too hard for his points.

Beal is harder to figure out. He looks like an ideal third star. A guy that doesn't need to possess the ball very long to score and can thrive late in the shot clock. Think Ray Allen's role on the celtics championship teams. Pierce and Garnett could stop the ball and draw defenders, Ray had to shoot or attack the rim as soon as he caught it. What's that skill set worth?

I don't think these three are special together. There's something missing.

• Like 1

At the current arc, Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, and Detroit will be contenders in the East for the next 5 years. That leaves us with Milwaukee, Miami, Toronto, and New York. So at best, we are 5-6th spot in the East from years prior, now, and into the forseable future. We should aspire to be more than that. Witt and Ernie have no idea how to do that. In seasons past it might have been ok to be mediocre. But everyone rebooted, drafted well, hired better coaches, and are looking good now. Mediocre isnt an option anymore.

I would like to know who we are going to target when Durant decides not to come here, because I dont see anyone worth sabotaging two seasons of FA signings over.

The only team I see as a lock to be a contender in the East well into the future is Cleveland. Maybe Indy, if Myles Turner becomes a good second option after Paul George.

Would you trade our situation with anyone other than Cleveland's? I wouldn't.

We could sign a collection of players with the Durant space. It's huge, like 30 million dollars. How much did we really miss out on in free agency the previous two summers? Ariza? Remember, we didn't actually have much cap space to bring in outside free agents during that span.

Even if Durant turns us down, I don't think the opportunity cost of keeping the door open for him financially was all that high. That's why everyone has been on board with the plan. I can live with losing Ariza and passing on Patrick Patterson knowing we gave ourselves a real shot at Durant.

Personally, if I were GM and Durant turned us down, I would try and do this in the offseason:

1 - sign Jared Sullinger. I don't think Boston would match because they have so many PFs. If they do, then:

2 - sign Terrence Jones. I don't think the Rockets would match either.

I want one of these guys to get some young legs and three ball range to start at PF.

If I can't get one of them, then:

3 - sign Jeff Green. Try and get him on a short deal.

4 - sign Ryan Anderson. If I didn't get Jones or Sully, he'd start for us.

5 - sign Jerryd Bayless. Backup SG. Another ball handler and three point shooter.

6 - retain Beal

7 - retain Sessions. Backup PG.

8 - retain Dudley. He's been good so far.

9 - bring over Sato, groom him to be the eventual back up PG.

10 - offer our draft pick to Philly for Noel, and Charlotte for Cody Zeller. If they say no, then:

11 - sign Zaza Pachulia. I think he's available for the MLE. These are our back up C options.

My ideal scenario would leave us with this for our top 12:

PG: Wall, Sessions, Sato

SG: Beal, Bayless

SF: Porter, Dudley, Oubre

PF: Sully, Anderson

C: Gortat, Noel/Zeller/Pachulia

That's pretty good. 27 million would be plenty of money to get Anderson, Sully, and Bayless. And if I can poach a promising young C prospect like Noel or Zeller from Charlotte or Philly because of their oversaturation at the C position, then that would really set us up long term.

The only thing about that roster is I wish it had an Andre Iggoudala type on it. A true stopper on defense and someone who would be a real leader in the locker room. Iggy also facilitates offense and handles the ball. It's pretty amazing that Golden State has that on their bench.

That's why I would really try and pry Noel from Philly. If not, then maybe call the Nets about Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2015/12/03/marcin-gortat-to-miss-at-least-two-games-due-to-family-emergency/

Washington Wizards center Marcin Gortat is expected to miss at least two games to be with his mother, who has been hospitalized in his native Poland, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

things like that can't be avoided, just gotta give Gortat the time and space he neeeds.

this is more worrisome:

Nene, Gortat’s backup, has missed Washington’s last three games. A timetable for his return has not been announced, but he is expected to miss significant time.

Well, theres no way Sullinger escapes Boston. But in the event that he did, his effectiveness would be neutered by the presence of Gortat on the court at the same time. Sully is a 5 who can shoot from the perimeter. Any scenario involving Cousins also means Gortat has to go. Cousins best position is a 5.

That list of guys is not promising. A Sullinger, Anderson, or Bayless type of guy coming here is not going to bring us any closer to being a real threat in the East. Everyone has gotten better and has significant depth. I would start playing Oubre alot more. He's about our only wildcard in the bag.

I refuse to believe that Grunfeld has been an competent GM. With the exception of Beal, Wall and Porter his drafting has been absolutely atrocious. Selling off Jordan Clarkson, drafting Europeans who never play here, signing Martell Webster to an extension, trading the fifth pick for Mike Miller, Foye and some dude that I can't remember.

I mean good lord

Jarvis Hayes

Kevin Seraphin

Javale McGee

Nick Young

Andre Blatche

Jan Vesely

Tomas Sotaransky who I doubt ever plays for this team regardless of what people say

He picked another Russian guy in the first round who never played here.

He's awful. Randy is awful. This isn't knee jerk stuff. The team has been playing admirably in spite of these two. Teds loyalty to one GM already cost him one of the best players in hockey, how long before Ernie does something stupid and deals away Beal or Porter in one of his classic "awful trades" to try and keep the team competitive in the short term? Enough is enough.

I actually give Grunfeld credit for drafting Baltche. He was 2nd round pick who produced more than a 2nd round pick can typically be expected. Grunfeld showed his ass when he decided to extend Baltche.

That Foye/Miller trade was a fireable offense when it happened, and you can probably use it as a defense for justifiable homicide now that we have experienced Steph Curry.

Unrelated to the latest shooting horror currently stealing years of our lives:  How much would it take to get Clint Capela from the Rockets?  The few times I've watched him, and really the few opportunities he's had, he looks pretty good.  He has no chance behind Howard and we could really use a young big.