Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

WTH kind of sense does it make to play three games in four days and then get four days rest?

They really need to cut the season down so that they can space the games our more.  If they want to rival improve the product they have to have a predictable schedule, nights your team is always playing, and no back to backs.  The game simply isn't as good when one team or both are on tired legs.  

Lol, it's been three games into the season and the team is 2-1. Chill

We stole two wins against teams that aren't good. The team isn't playing well yet. If we were in this situation, and it was the case that the role players were playing well and Wall and Beal just had slow starts, I'd be less worried. I'd expect Wall and Beal to bounce back and get going. But playing the way we have: getting star contributions from Wall and Beal while most of the role players either look washed up or like they don't fit... that's scarier. Because it might be the case that Dudley/Gooden/Nene are washed up and that Humphries and Neal don't fit.

We're not going to miss the playoffs or anything. But not having a good enough bench is what screwed the Warriors, Blazers, and Pacers over from 2012-2014.

So the plan this summer is to resign Beal to a max deal, while also swaying KD away from OKC?

Has Leonsis asked Snyder and the Lerners' to chip in yet?

Nene, Webster, Dudley, Anderson, Gooden, Sessions, Neal, Blair, and Temple all either have expiring deals or non-guaranteed money after this season.  Wizards will have the cap room. 

• Like 1

Kawhi is shutting down Melo. Otto's not on his level...

Yet.

Although I still think Otto did a more than respectable job guarding Melo. He stayed in front of him all night and didn't lose him on the perimeter many times. Got a hand in his face when he was shooting. For some reason Melo just doesn't miss shots against us. Put him and Jeff Green on a team together and we'd never beat them.

And better team defense overall.

That will come I think.

I'm not sure where we're going to get better play at the four from. We're going to have to cope with journeyman PFs and cobble together minutes from Dudley and Porter at the spot.

If we're just totally inept at the position, wouldn't mind seeing Oubre get run and bumping Dudley and Otto to PF the majority of the game.

But can he defend? 

I doubt it unless he's asked to guard a shooter.  Otto right now is a swingman.  He just doesn't have the bulk to guard the 4.  He's about 3-4 inches taller than Beal but weighs about the same.  Against an average sized 4 he'd be at a 40-50 pound disadvantage. 

• Like 2

I doubt it unless he's asked to guard a shooter.  Otto right now is a swingman.  He just doesn't have the bulk to guard the 4.  He's about 3-4 inches taller than Beal but weighs about the same.  Against an average sized 4 he'd be at a 40-50 pound disadvantage. 

Exactly my point. I don't think, especially with how poor our defense has been so far, we could afford that mismatch on that side of the court. 

He can defend a 2/3.

Absolutely, and that is where I'd like to keep him. 

He'd guard the position better than the back-up caliber journeymen we are currently playing there, simply by being able to stay in front of people. But the main point of putting him in the spot is for going small and getting the offensive boost of a player who is a natural on the perimeter out there. Small ball means playing an extra wing and one less big.

Playing Kris Humphries and Drew Gooden at PF isn't actually going small since they are natural PFs. Playing them on the perimeter instead of the traditional four spot at the baseline, just moves the same player to a less familiar spot. The small lineups with three guards that we've used to close out games are the ones where we've been effective, and I think we should go to them more frequently.

The Warriors spend over half the game in small lineups.

So is it fair to add the Jordan Clarkson trade to the list of Ernie debacles? With the exception of Beal, Wall and Porter, he has to be considered one of the worst GMs ever.

It pains me to watch Clarkson play. Yet another second round pick that I have gotten excited about, only to have to chair pulled out from under me minutes later. 

Not sure where Clarkson would fit in our backcourt though. Wall/Beal/Sessions/Neal is awful strong. Getting minutes and putting up numbers for the worst team in the league doesn't mean that you're a winning quality player.

That's very true. It just sucks watching a guy that we gave up for cash play so well.