Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

My opinion of growing up is making that game winning shot.

Gotta take the good w/ the bad. 

THere are a lot of guys out there who would have made excuses.  He owned up.  Let's hope that he can learn from this and be better going forward. 

We have a real gem on our hands w/ Brad Beal.  Might sound crazy...but I think there is a real good chance that he ends up in the debate over who the best SG is in the NBA within the next 2-3 years.  Also..anyone peep that he's now officially listed at 6'5"?  Kid...yes, KID, is only 20.  Still might grow another inch or two.  Drafted him at 6'3". 

• Like 1

We have a real gem on our hands w/ Brad Beal.  Might sound crazy...but I think there is a real good chance that he ends up in the debate over who the best SG is in the NBA within the next 2-3 years.  Also..anyone peep that he's now officially listed at 6'5"?  Kid...yes, KID, is only 20.  Still might grow another inch or two.  Drafted him at 6'3".

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up, but I kinda wonder if there was any resistance from Wall to get that last shot instead of Beal. I mean Beal's been hot all game, had a career night and we go to Wall who's barely in double digits on the night. I know Wall is a pass first pointguard so don't take this comparison too literally, but I wonder if there was some Iverson in him on that last shot thinking he's the max player so he should be the one to win the games?

Oh, and I was also thinking....did anybody else think that the FT shooting and poor performance in the first half could have been caused by exhaustion? I know they hadn't played since Friday night but during the game I was wondering if this 7 man rotation is wearing out out players and if we were seeing it evident in the FTs.

Regardless of the possible foul call (well, he was fouled but the NBA changes the rules in the last minute) he kinda choked that.  That's gotta be off the backboard and in.  Of course shooting like 50% from the FT line was the real issue but damn,backboard and in...it was right there.

Between this, the Vikings game and the Capitals pissing away a 3-1 lead with under 5 minutes to play vs. Phoenix, crappy weekend all around sports-wise.

Yep. He choked hard. I have grown so jaded about Washington sports. My general, sweeping opinion is that there will never be another championship here. Ever. 

Personally, I think Wall is about as unselfish as they come.  There are times when he tries TOO hard, but for all purposes, he did have a clear path to the hoop (despite the hack).  Whatever play was drawn up, worked.  It just wasn't executed properly. 

Outside of the FT debacle, there were a lot of positives.  This was a game where the Wizards beat themselves.  Sounds weird to say that, but this team is close to really turning a corner. 

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up, but I kinda wonder if there was any resistance from Wall to get that last shot instead of Beal. I mean Beal's been hot all game, had a career night and we go to Wall who's barely in double digits on the night. I know Wall is a pass first pointguard so don't take this comparison too literally, but I wonder if there was some Iverson in him on that last shot thinking he's the max player so he should be the one to win the games?

Oh, and I was also thinking....did anybody else think that the FT shooting and poor performance in the first half could have been caused by exhaustion? I know they hadn't played since Friday night but during the game I was wondering if this 7 man rotation is wearing out out players and if we were seeing it evident in the FTs.

I doubt exhaustion was the reason for the missed FT's. We missed free throws early in the game, we missed them late in the game. Just a horrible night from the line.

I do agree that the tight rotation will eventually cause fatigue, but I don't think we're seeing signs right now.

Edited by StillUnknown

What sucks is our entire season falls on Nene's ability to stay on the court.  Not good odds.

Not just Nene. Even more so John. We might actually be able to tread water while Nene is out. If John misses a lot of time we're completely ****ed.

I hope Wizards fans have been living well lately, building up that good karma. I should start volunteering at a food bank or something.

Assuming they stay healthy, 2-4 isn't going to cut it. This team needs to start winning because right now they are tied for last in the east. Yes it is early but positioning early is essential for a team likely to lose each time a Wall or Nene takes a day off.

Last night was a blast to watch but if this team is to make the playoffs they need to be .500 or very close to it much of the season. I'd like to see wins against Cle twice (got to beat your competition), Dallas, and Toronto. 4 of the next 6 with three wins on the road.

If this is a playoff team those are winnable games. I think Minn is a hard team to beat even at home and the Spurs will win by 15.

Edited by Destino

Gotta take the good w/ the bad. 

THere are a lot of guys out there who would have made excuses.  He owned up.  Let's hope that he can learn from this and be better going forward. 

He measured 6'4.75" in shoes at the combine. I don't get why he was ever listed at 6'3. He's not going to be the only guy in the league to go unshod. But I bet he's close to 6'5 without shoes now. He's a physical presence.

It doesn't sound crazy to say he's going to be one of the best SGs in the NBA, and I think it'll be by next year or the year after. For one thing, he's a lot better than James Harden and Klay Thompson were at this age. And right now, that's his only competition under the age of 25. I think he's going to be the best SG in the NBA soon.

The SG position is weak though. Fewest number of difference makers at the position compared to the others. And the old guard of Kobe, Wade, Johnson, Vince, Allen, Manu, and T-Mac are headed towards retirement. I think a lot of guys who would have had to play SG in the past are playing PG now.

Assuming they stay healthy, 2-4 isn't going to cut it. This team needs to start winning because right now they are tied for last in the east. Yes it is early but positioning early is essential for a team likely to lose each time a Wall or Nene takes a day off.

Last night was a blast to watch but if this team is to make the playoffs they need to be .500 or very close to it much of the season. I'd like to see wins against Cle twice (got to beat your competition), Dallas, and Toronto. 4 of the next 6 with three wins on the road.

If this is a playoff team those are winnable games. I think Minn is a hard team to beat even at home and the Spurs will win by 15.

Well, I don't think we actually have to win on the road as much as you think just to make the playoffs. You can get in with a losing record on the road. Gotta win at home though.

We really got dicked over by having 6 of our first 8 games on the road. This is probably our toughest month of the schedule, 10 road games against just 7 home games, and catching Miami, SA, OKC, and Indy on the road. In hindsight, I wish we had caught some of our games against Chicago early on, while they're playing like crap, and games against Philly later when they'll probably be playing like crap.

Oh I don't think we need to win too much on the road I just think those we have to beat the teams competing for the 6-8 because that's just what you have to do if you wan to take their spot in the playoffs, and I don't think much of the Raptors or Mavericks.  We'll get are butts handed too us routinely against most teams on the road.  

Oh I don't think we need to win too much on the road I just think those we have to beat the teams competing for the 6-8 because that's just what you have to do if you wan to take their spot in the playoffs, and I don't think much of the Raptors or Mavericks.  We'll get are butts handed too us routinely against most teams on the road.

Yeah we do need to beat the Cavs. Especially because they haven't played too well to start the season. Need to beat the Raptors too. The Mavs are feisty. And Texas road trips always suck.

We're getting the Spurs at the end of a back to back. They're going to beat us bad.

Well it'd be a surprise. They just wrapped up a back to back where they beat the Knicks by 31 and Philly by 24. And they rested Duncan and most of the rest of their starters played less than 30 minutes. They get tomorrow night off.

I think we've also lost something ridiculous like 14 straight to SA.

I think they're going to whup us. If we actually win, it'll be a big feather in our cap.