Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wittman puts Temple in at the end of the game cold again, his man went right around him, but luckily he missed the lay-up.

I'd rather see Beal in iso, at least he has a chance at making the jumpshot if nothing opens up.

Yeah, he likely put Temple in because Beal has 5 fouls and wanted to be able to put him back in because he's our second best FT shooter. Sorta makes sense, but Temple has to keep his guy in front of him.

Beal's had some nice drives in isolation, so I'd tend to agree, but I'm fine with running a high screen for Wall and letting him use his speed to beat his defender to the basket, like he did with about a minute left.

Edited by MonkFan8

Wall is having a rough February in term of shooting percentage (.388) and turnovers. He'd better step it up or this will be Beals team sooner than we all expected. Beal had another 20 point game, his 4th in the last six games, and he's doing it efficiently. I do like that Wall is shooting though because this season isn't our year and he absolutely has to find a shot or two he can rely on.

This team is about to break off a 10-2 record in the next 12 games.....we could be finding ourselves in the 9th spot only a few games out of the playoffs with 15 games to go. Here is our next 12:

vs Detroit; vs. NY; vs. Philly; @Minn; @BKN; vs. Char; @ Cle; vs. MIL; vs. NO; vs. PHX; @Char; @ PHX

i think we drop a games to 2/3 of NY, Philly and BKN.....we should beat everyone else.

This team is about to break off a 10-2 record in the next 12 games.....we could be finding ourselves in the 9th spot only a few games out of the playoffs with 15 games to go. Here is our next 12:

vs Detroit; vs. NY; vs. Philly; @Minn; @BKN; vs. Char; @ Cle; vs. MIL; vs. NO; vs. PHX; @Char; @ PHX

i think we drop a games to 2/3 of NY, Philly and BKN.....we should beat everyone else.

Damn, right you are. The team is playing real well right now, even though tonight's win was kinda ugly. Don't really feel like going into a 3 paragraph dissection of the team right now as I've done in the past but Beal's play of late has given me great confidence for the future.

I thought Nene bounced back really well last night. I like having Nene at PF because he can switch onto centers and pretty much guard any big man in the league at his size.

It felt good getting revenge on the Raptors for last week.

The only negative of the winning for me is the fact we're winning our way out of the draft range for the top two big men.

If we do end up picking 7th or 8th, I think we could still get a good player though. I like Porter and Bennett in that range. Porter seems like such a ready fit.

I thought Nene bounced back really well last night. I like having Nene at PF because he can switch onto centers and pretty much guard any big man in the league at his size.

It felt good getting revenge on the Raptors for last week.

The only negative of the winning for me is the fact we're winning our way out of the draft range for the top two big men.

If we do end up picking 7th or 8th, I think we could still get a good player though. I like Porter and Bennett in that range. Porter seems like such a ready fit.

screw the pick....we still have an outside shot at the playoffs.

Wall is having a rough February in term of shooting percentage (.388) and turnovers. He'd better step it up or this will be Beals team sooner than we all expected. Beal had another 20 point game, his 4th in the last six games, and he's doing it efficiently. I do like that Wall is shooting though because this season isn't our year and he absolutely has to find a shot or two he can rely on.

Past two games he's had 2 and 1 turnover. Not bad. Would like to see his shooting improve though. If anything (like he did on that clutch possession last night), he needs to take the ball to the rack more often. There aren't many PGs in the league who can stay in front of him on defense. Wall reminds me an awful lot of Rajon Rondo.

The pick is way more important than scrabbling it out for an 8th seed.

I'll respectfully disagree.

Playing with purpose and WINNING games when it counts >>>>> getting a pick. This isn't like some BS 6 game win streak to end a year when most teams are laying down. We have something nice building here.

I'll respectfully disagree.

Playing with purpose and WINNING games when it counts >>>>> getting a pick. This isn't like some BS 6 game win streak to end a year when most teams are laying down. We have something nice building here.

If we finish 8th or 9th in the conference it'd be a nice story and a moral victory. But the only thing we'd get out of it is a mediocre draft pick and perhaps a beating by Miami in the first round.

If we get a high pick we get a potential franchise big man like Zeller or Noel. That is so much more important than temporarily feeling good about a year that's basically been lost since November.

Past two games he's had 2 and 1 turnover. Not bad. Would like to see his shooting improve though. If anything (like he did on that clutch possession last night), he needs to take the ball to the rack more often. There aren't many PGs in the league who can stay in front of him on defense. Wall reminds me an awful lot of Rajon Rondo.

agree about the clutch move to the basket last night. I heard somewhere that Gary Payton loves Wall and wants to work with him this summer; he said Wall reminds him of himself and he wants to work with him on his game....good news for Wall and Wizards' fans.

The pick is way more important than scrabbling it out for an 8th seed.

no way...nothing is guaranteed with a draft pick, but right now this team is building chemistry and confidence. I'd much rather go to the playoffs than be in the lottery....especially since we have been in the lottery four straight years now.

agree about the clutch move to the basket last night. I heard somewhere that Gary Payton loves Wall and wants to work with him this summer; he said Wall reminds him of himself and he wants to work with him on his game....good news for Wall and Wizards' fans.

That'd be great if they could make it happen.

Wall has the tools to defend like GP. If he could do it, this team would take a massive leap forward. They could be the #1 defense.

Wittman has earned the right to coach this team going forward. Players love the guy.

disagree on Wittman...I think he's horrible. I'd love to see how good this team could be with a competent coach. Wittman's rotations and late game substitutions are head scratching to say the least.

no way...nothing is guaranteed with a draft pick, but right now this team is building chemistry and confidence. I'd much rather go to the playoffs than be in the lottery....especially since we have been in the lottery four straight years now.

Nothing is guaranteed about anything in the NBA. But until we are a strong FA draw, a high draft pick is our single best avenue for improvement. This is probably the last time we'll pick in the lottery during the Wall era. An 8th seed is extremely improbable and it's not really that beneficial. It only gets us an ass-whipping from Miami and a draft pick that's probably a long shot to be a contributor. We've got a big looming need for a C next season and a need for a long term SF. We need this draft pick to net us a long term contributor at one of those positions.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 09:23 AM ----------

Wittman has earned the right to coach this team going forward. Players love the guy.

Grunfeld can go. I'll be interested to see what the decision is on him when the season is over.

Grunfeld getting fired would mean Wittman is probably the first guy to get the axe. A new GM would want his own coach. It'd also probably mean a deconstruction of this build since the new guy would want to choose his own direction.

I'm at the point where I would probably rather see John and Beal and this upcoming draft pick establish themselves as a quality build worth keeping intact for new management before Ernie is gone. I think our best bet is to get somebody like Zeller or Noel this year and then just play out Ernie's contract through next year before hiring the next guy. Next season they probably make the playoffs and get that taste of the postseason.

Then the job would be very attractive to potential GMs because you've got a playoff squad with two young cornerstones plus a big time center prospect to develop going forward. As far as available jobs go, it would probably be the easiest one to walk into and have success.

Grunfeld can go. I'll be interested to see what the decision is on him when the season is over.

Sorry, still not a fan of Wittman. The inconsistent rotations, the lack of a functioning brain on offense, and the complete lack of developing players still bug me. I think there are multiple coaches who could get more out of the roster we have now, the goal should always be about making sure we have as close to the highest quality that we can get at all positions. Coaches don't affect the salary cap, no reason to be bargain shopping.

Then the job would be very attractive to potential GMs because you've got a playoff squad with two young cornerstones plus a big time center prospect to develop going forward. As far as available jobs go, it would probably be the easiest one to walk into and have success.

That would be truest test of how basketball types view Wall going forward. If you believe he is still a potential franchise guy, the job is attractive, if not you probably wait for something better.

Edited by StillUnknown

That would be truest test of how basketball types view Wall going forward. If you believe he is still a potential franchise guy, the job is attractive, if not you probably wait for something better.

Well, that's true in theory but any NBA GM job is an extremely attractive job. If you give a guy an offer, he's probably not going to turn it down unless he's got something sure in his back pocket. Maybe a clear succession to a GM job in the near future at the organization he's already with. Other than that, you never know if you'll get another GM job offer in your life. If you want to be a GM, you pretty much can't say no to the opportunity.

Now whether that GM kept Wall or traded him/let him walk would be a good barometer. Then again, I think that GM would just as soon keep Wall because you need to have a good PG whether he's a franchise player or not. Wall is at least that. The GM would probably only deal Wall if we got something really nice in return, in which case, that'd be a good outcome too.

I think any GM would keep Beal.

I think Nene would probably be the most at risk player on the roster of getting dealt because of his age/wear and tear and his contract. Although he takes so little off the table on the court that any team in the league would be happy to have him if not for his cost.

The Wiz are starting to **** up now by winning three in a row, including a rare win on the road. We are watching our lottery pick slip away.

It doesn't matter at this point. It's a weak draft and we'd just get bumped out to #6 through #9 anyway and end up with some scrub that doesn't do squat. Quite frankly, I'm tired of playing for lottery positions. I'd rather they play for playoff positions.

Who would be down for a Wall and Seraphin for Valaciunas, Lowry & unprotected 2014 1st rd pick? We'd get back one of the most promising big men in the game, perhaps the most underrated point guard in the league and a lottery pick in the excellent 2014 draft for 2 headaches (Wall's forthcoming max extension and Seraphin's non-improvement and nonchalance)

If we finish 8th or 9th in the conference it'd be a nice story and a moral victory. But the only thing we'd get out of it is a mediocre draft pick and perhaps a beating by Miami in the first round.

If we get a high pick we get a potential franchise big man like Zeller or Noel. That is so much more important than temporarily feeling good about a year that's basically been lost since November.

I'd take 8th or 9th this year over having a top-5 pick. Seriously.

disagree on Wittman...I think he's horrible. I'd love to see how good this team could be with a competent coach. Wittman's rotations and late game substitutions are head scratching to say the least.

Wittman pretty much won us the Houston game on Saturday with his rotations and play calling in the 4th. I totally understand that you all think that he shouldn't be retained...but I think he's grown a heck of a lot this year along with the team. I'd like to see him get the chance to coach these guys up a little more. Who are we kidding? We all know that Wittman is a cheap replacement because we're still on the books for Flip. It won't cost anything to bring him back next year - or at least until Flip's contract is done for.

Sorry, still not a fan of Wittman. The inconsistent rotations, the lack of a functioning brain on offense, and the complete lack of developing players still bug me. I think there are multiple coaches who could get more out of the roster we have now, the goal should always be about making sure we have as close to the highest quality that we can get at all positions. Coaches don't affect the salary cap, no reason to be bargain shopping.

Coaches don't affect the salary cap, but it's still money out of Ted's pocket that he's paying Flip. I think it's easy for us to say that we should move on and look elsewhere for a different coach....but the players love the guy and have responded very well to how he's been running things. What I like most about Wittman is that he actually holds players accountable. He's not afraid to sit guys if they aren't showing enough progression. Most recently, Kevin Seraphin. Dude had all the opportunities in the world to flourish in this system and faltered. He's now glued to the bench. THAT is what I like most about him is that there is zero nonsense.