Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Vesely would be a nice fit for Golden State. Bet they could get him from us for a song too.

Two things about that.

1- I'd like those tshirt unis better if they didn't burn my eyes.

2 - they can have Jan and Nene for David Lee.

Edited by Destino

Two things about that.

1- I'd like those tshirt unis better if they did burn my eyes.

2 - they can have Jan and Nene for David Lee.

Hmm, that's actually a brilliant trade idea. At least on the surface. Just from the perspective of what each team gets in players, it benefits both:

GS gets a Nene and all that he brings, which is probably more than Lee does TBH. Better defender, bigger, versatile and highly efficient offensive game, ability to pass out of post and hit shooters and cutters for easy buckets. Then they get Ves to groom, they don't have a lot of highly drafted young projects to work on, Thompson and Barnes are already starting. Ves as a lengthy defender, rebounder, facilitator from the top of the key at the 4 spot makes sense for them. Bogut/Nene is a nasty defensive tandem and they've got great size, GS would actually be able to play some defense and Ves gives them the kind of long term athletic defender with size they really don't have. Nene is a bit cheaper over the long term than Lee is too.

DC loses some size because Lee is not a good option at the 5 at all. They lose some defense because Lee is a somewhat poor defender. We also take on a bit more salary and Lee's contract is the same length as Nene's. But Lee is a year younger. And we get back a hustle guy and a true PF who is a bigger volume scorer than Nene at around the same efficiency rate and a more productive rebounder.

The salaries wouldn't have worked this year for that deal, but they probably work for next year when we'd be making the trade since Lee is scheduled for a 1.134 million dollar raise and Vesely is scheduled for about a 300K dollar raise and the difference in money that needed to be made up this year was about 600K.

A couple things to note, the Warriors are over the luxury tax this season and are scheduled to be over it next season and Vesely puts them just a little bit further over it. They are going to want to get under it, but their problem is they've got FOUR players with big player options, two of which are really bad for GS: Richard Jefferson has a whopping 11 million dollar option and Andris Biedrins has a 9 million dollar option. :puke:

I think everyone knows there is no way in hell Biedrins and Jefferson decline those options. No way in hell either could command anything even remotely close to that in a new contract.

The other two options are good ones for the team: Brandon Rush for 4 million and Carl Landry for 4 million. I'd imagine they hope both players pick them up.

So they don't have a ton of control in their financial future and would probably hesitate to make any deal that increases their tax hit. I'm thinking we would have to take back one of those turd contracts to make it work, which means we would probably have to put Ariza in the trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=b4kvu3o

That deal is on this year's salaries, which are meaningfully different than next year's. Lee is scheduled for a 1.1 million dollar raise and Jefferson has a 900K raise coming where Nene has no raise scheduled, Ves is only for 300k, and Ariza is scheduled for a 470K raise.

So GS would actually be cutting about 1.22 million in salary while gaining an extra contract, which might be enough to put them under the luxury tax by itself. They'd be replacing Jefferson with a guy who can actually play, getting bigger, and getting a young prospect with upside. Their team defense would massively improve and they'd actually have a chance to thrive in a slowed down half court style game in the postseason. The deal makes a lot of sense for GS, though something tells me they'd be stubbornly unwilling to part with Lee.

But it starts making less sense for us when you talk about losing Nene and Ariza and Ves plus take on an awful contract just to get back David Lee. We lose two of our top six players, potentially our starting SF if Martell doesn't stay.

Plus our team defense would take a huge hit from losing Nene and Ariza. Jefferson is a pretty poor stopgap at SF at this point in his career. You know he'd just pull a Rashard and fake an injury and collect a paycheck all year.

I think you have to get a draft pick back from GS or some sort of extra incentive.

Okafor's expiring deal also makes this tough to swallow because that means we'll be left without a 5.

I think the deal would be easier to make on our part if we get Noel in the draft.

Noel would be pretty ideal to pair with Lee to cover up some of his defensive problems. Lee could also be good to pair with Zeller because he rebounds so well, which is a bit of a weakness for Zeller. But that FC might be terrible on defense. Hmm. I don't know that this deal would make sense for us unless we got Noel in the draft.

I know i'm a G-TOWN homer but I love Otto Porter he will be such a complete glue type player alot like Loul Deng. He won't be a megastar but is gonna be a hellva team player and a great fit for the Wizards but i'm not sold he leaves early though.

Edited by Samuels

I know i'm a G-TOWN homer but I love Otto Porter he will be such a complete glue type player alot like Loul Deng. He won't be a megastar but is gonna be a hellva team player and a great fit for the Wizards but i'm not sold he leaves early.

After a game like today, he is likely to leave. If he beasts out during the tournaments, he's really leaving.

He willed the Hoyas to victory today.

Did Otto Porter dunk the ball at any point during today's game? I've still not seen him dunk a basketball and I find that odd for a guy his size and length.

You know what, I don't remember him dunking today. :ols:

---------- Post added February-23rd-2013 at 09:19 PM ----------

The refs are tripping right now smh....

The Wizards are horrendous when trying to eat clock. They stand around and run a play when there's so little time that they often have to jack up bad shots. And usually the plays they run is "Sit around with Wall for 18 seconds and have him try to force a foul on the drive". Wittman needs to step it up.

Beal with the crucial play. He just makes the right plays at the right times. He's a lot smarter and more athletic than Harden, he's going to end up being a better player than him.

Houston is somehow a dumber team than we are. You guys ignored me, but I'm telling you, they're a low IQ team that runs a gimmicky college style offense where they live and die at the 3 pt line. And as such, they hang around .500. Harden is kind of a dumb player. Or if he's not and this is something new this year, then he's got a mandate from the Houston coaching staff to go out and play dumb basketball.

If they make the playoffs and get matched up with San Antonio in the first round, they will get pounded.

They need Dwight. They aren't going to win anything with just Harden. They need a steady hand, someone who can play defense and who can slow the pace down and make use of interior space having all those shooters on the floor provides and keep them from wasting so many possessions with bad shots and forced passes.