Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Danny Granger MIGHT be a target with Paul George turning into a star. Granger might be declining though but I think his contact is over after the 2013-2014 season

I wouldn't give up a top-5 pick for a soon-to-be 30, Danny Granger. His #'s have gone down every year since 2008. If we could add him w/o giving up our draft pick, I'd consider it.

What vet wing player would you trade our (supposed) top-5 pick for? Rudy gay wasn't worth it...and I'm not sure who else is (that's available). If we keep the pick, I'm all for Otto Porter. He'd be an amazing fit on the roster.

I have started to lean in this direction as well.

Danny Granger MIGHT be a target with Paul George turning into a star. Granger might be declining though but I think his contact is over after the 2013-2014 season

I think it's safe to say he's declining. I don't like his contract. I'd consider trading Nene for him straight up but I wouldn't put any draft picks in. And the only reason I'd put Nene in is because he's got an extra year on his deal compared to Granger.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 01:00 PM ----------

I wouldn't give up a top-5 pick for a soon-to-be 30, Danny Granger. His #'s have gone down every year since 2008. If we could add him w/o giving up our draft pick, I'd consider it.

Same. Nene for Granger swap makes sense on first blush. They need a PF with David West hitting FA this summer and Nene is better than anyone they'll find on the open market. They don't really need Granger with the emergence of George. We need a big man but we could get one in the draft hopefully. Granger gives us a face up forward and a shooter.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 01:05 PM ----------

What vet wing player would you trade our (supposed) top-5 pick for? Rudy gay wasn't worth it...and I'm not sure who else is (that's available). If we keep the pick, I'm all for Otto Porter. He'd be an amazing fit on the roster.

I think trading a top five pick for some vet wing would be a classic EG move. Shades of Mike Miller/Randy Foye.

Otto Porter would be a great fit but he's a reach at 5. At that point both Len and Austin have far better upside that him. Either trade back and get something in return or go with the BPA IMO.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 01:13 PM ----------

I've watched Noel wanting to like him and I don't see an offensive game. No back to the basket game. No face up game. No shooting. It's all built on being the best athlete on the floor and that doesn't translate. He's not as tall as Len, he's got a smaller frame, hes much lighter, and they might have the same wingspan. I do not agree that he's stronger where it counts, legs and base.

I don't think much of Nerlens game translates to the NBA and Lens game works better in the NBA. Neither is a franchise player though.

Locking down the paint and taking away practically every shot at the basket doesn't translate to the NBA?

Nerlens does have a back to the basket game. Poor guard play, which has effected Len's production, has been a problem for Nerlens too. His offensive potential hasn't been showcased at Kentucky, just like Anthony Davis's was not last year.

Also I think Nerlens is probably stronger than Len period. Len is very weak, it's probably his biggest flaw right now, aside from his tendency to disappear for games at a time. He got manhandled by James McAdoo.

Nerlens is someone you don't over-think it with. He has completely shown out the past month and has shown the most ability to dominate a game of anyone in the class. He's a potential franchise 5 and has the best overall set of tools in the class. You just draft him and consider yourself fortunate.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 01:36 PM ----------

I'm hoping Noel or Zeller are the BPA when we pick. I think everything would just be so much easier if they were. If you draft them you can trade Nene if you want. Make that Nene for Granger swap. Now you've got this lineup for next year:

1 - Wall

2 - Beal

3 - Granger

4 - Okafor

5 - Zeller/Noel

Then I'd start moving around the bench pieces to consolidate my depth. Bring in another shooting forward: try and get back into the mid to late lottery for one of the forwards that would be available--Porter, McAdoo, Mitchell, Bennett, etc.

As I said before, pick two of Crawford, Seraphin, Singleton, Vesely, and Booker and deal the other three. Probably deal Ariza. Probably try and bring Martell back for a short deal. Something like this for the bench:

6 - Crawford

7 - Martell

8 - Porter/McAdoo/Bennett

9 - Booker/Seraphin

10 - PG (Temple?)

I think that's a playoff team.

If we do nothing else I hope we get a top 3 pick and draft Shabazz Muhammed a potential ELITE create your own shot scorer like him is exactly what this team is missing. Don't mess this up Grunfield.

I'd take Muhammed...the only problem with that is he is a 2 in the NBA...so unless you plan to turn around and trade him or trade Beal....it doesn't make sense to have two top 3 picks at the same position on the same team.

I would have traded the pick for Rudy Gay in a heart beat....Gay can flat out play and he can score, which is what we need. He would have been much better playing with a god point guard and we are going to see this in Toronto.

Taking away every shot by leaping at it doesn't translate to the nba.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 04:46 PM ----------

If you all had to pick one of the two, Shabazz or McLemore? Why?

Shabazz. We need a scorer that doesn't need to be assisted to score.

Taking away every shot by leaping at it doesn't translate to the nba.
I definitely think Nerlens's defense will translate to the NBA. He's going to be one of the most athletic 5s in the league day one and he's got superior instincts, By the time he's 22 or 23 he'll probably be the best defensive 5 in the game.
Shabazz. We need a scorer that doesn't need to be assisted to score.

Fair enough. That is appealing. Shabazz seems like a good kid. My only worry is, can he make an impact in the game when his shot isn't falling and/or he's not getting a ton of attempts? Can he work off the ball as well as McLemore does? How does his athleticism compare to McLemore's?

It's funny, in some ways I think McLemore's absolute floor is higher than Shabazz's. Whatever happens, McLemore will pretty much be a permanent fixture in any NBA rotation because of how athletic he is combined with how great a shooter he is. I think Shabazz could potentially flame out. BUT, in other ways I see Shabazz's floor as being higher. Meaning, the team that drafts either Shabazz or McLemore to be their "star" is getting a safer value in Shabazz. He's a much safer bet to become that kind of scorer and that kind of player.

Whether that translate to that team becoming a 50 win contender is another story.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 06:01 PM ----------

I could see Shabazz becoming a player like Kyrie Irving where he's a super skilled offensive player and 25 PPG scorer that is also going to give up 25 PPG to the other guy.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 06:06 PM ----------

- James McAdoo is on ESPNU at 7:00

- Nerlens is on ESPNU at 9:00

I'd take shabbazz over mclemore because of his ability to create off the dribble and his cut throat scoring mentality. That said if i had the #2 pick and shabazz went #1 i would take zeller because i think wall would benefit more from a scorer in the low post that he could feed down low, or run pick and roll or pick and pop. He's also fantastic in transition and a good enough passer to kick out to beal on the wing. I'm a bit torn because i think Mclemore can be a star and has a higher ceiling then zeller, but i think zeller is a better fit for us. classic BPA vs need debate.

James McAdoo is having a hell of a game so far. He's making a big impact. Got a pair of nice steals and had some nice feeds, should have a couple assists but his teammates misplayed the opportunities. He's also got a pretty versatile offensive game. He posted up hit a nice turnaround fade. He faced up and drove the lane for an And-1 and he also drove to the bucket in transition for the finish. Drove the baseline for a reverse layup on another play. He can establish good post position and do work from there and he can be a pick and roll weapon. He defends the lane on D as a center for UNC, it's odd how fluid his role is there. Also I like that he boxes out every single time.

He's missed 4 of 7 FTs so far though. That's been the one downside of his game.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 07:36 PM ----------

McAdoo is not what the Wizards need.

I'd love to have him. I'd love to have a 3 or 4 that rebounds and has a legit face up game that can also run the floor and finish and hit shots from around the perimeter.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

James McAdoo is having a hell of a game so far. He's making a big impact. Got a pair of nice steals and had some nice feeds, should have a couple assists but his teammates misplayed the opportunities. He's also got a pretty versatile offensive game. He posted up hit a nice turnaround fade. He faced up and drove the lane for an And-1 and he also drove to the bucket in transition for the finish. Drove the baseline for a reverse layup on another play. He can establish good post position and do work from there and he can be a pick and roll weapon. He defends the lane on D as a center for UNC, it's odd how fluid his role is there. Also I like that he boxes out every single time.

He's missed 4 of 7 FTs so far though. That's been the one downside of his game.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 07:36 PM ----------

I'd love to have him. I'd love to have a 3 or 4 that rebounds and has a legit face up game that can also run the floor and finish and hit shots from around the perimeter.

I'm not spending our first pick on him. We need offense, not another athletic tweener. Maybe if we got another pick in the mid first round/late lottery.

I'm not spending our first pick on him. We need offense, not another athletic tweener. Maybe if we got another pick in the mid first round/late lottery.

Yeah I hear you. I wasn't saying take him with our pick. DX has him outside of the lottery. I was thinking he's someone you could target if you trade back in the first or trade for another pick in the mid first.

I think South Carolina is going to try and stretch the floor and get Noel out of the paint as much as possible.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

BTW McAdoo finishes off a superb game where his team got the blowout win. The numbers look pretty good: 20 points on 7-12 shooting, 6-11 from the FT line, 5 boards, 2 assists, and 4 steals in just 24 minutes. Just one foul and one turnover. He should have had a couple more assists and steals too but c'est la vie. Carolina got to rest everybody a good amount.

McAdoo and Noel came into the season with huge expectations and they started slow and took a while to get really comfortable in their roles. But they've come on so strong lately.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:15 PM ----------

I love seeing Noel pass from the key BTW. He just peers over the defense and whips it inside. It really reminds me of what the Bulls do with Joakim Noah.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:23 PM ----------

To me, the #1 seeds should be Indiana, Michigan, Kansas, and I guess either Arizona or Duke. Not Florida or Gonzaga.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:34 PM ----------

Trey Burke is good.

---------- Post added February-5th-2013 at 09:40 PM ----------

Good Lord Kentucky has some size. This lineup is huge. Cauley-Stein, Wiltjer, and Noel. Goodwin and Harrow can run and slash and Poythress can play all over. This team is coalescing. They are going to be dangerous in the tourney.

I'm kinda diggin' Isaiah Austin

His McGee frame is a concern. He's gotten bigger in the shoulders but long thin legs will make success at the 5 in the NBA difficult.

Did Nerlens guard Austin and Len when Kentucky played Maryland and Baylor? Anyone know?

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:37 PM ----------

Webster's shooting is keeping us in this game.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:35 PM ----------

Sounds like a disgusting amount of Knick fans made their way to the Verizon Center.

Webster is going to get a bigger pay day next season. Over 40% from three point land on the year and he's not strictly a catch and shoot player. Not a huge deal but certainly more than the million and change one year deal he's on now.

I'd love to keep Webster around next year but I want him to get a nice pay day, not necessarily from us.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:40 PM ----------

He's playing pretty well from what I saw. When he gets dialed in he can really shut down the paint.

And he has a jumper. Almost like a smarter, less athletic McGee with a jumper.

His McGee frame is a concern. He's gotten bigger in the shoulders but long thin legs will make success at the 5 in the NBA difficult.

Did Nerlens guard Austin and Len when Kentucky played Maryland and Baylor? Anyone know?

Nerlens and Cauley-Stein guarded Len and Len went off on them. That's pretty much what his draft status has been built upon.

I watched the Baylor game, Nerlens didn't exclusively guard Austin because Nerlens pretty much exclusively plays the 5 and Baylor played Austin at 4 a good bit. Nerlens spent a lot of time guarding Corey Jefferson IIRC. But bottom line, Kentucky goes very heavy with the zone so you're not going to see a ton of one on one battles shades of Hakeem versus Ewing.

I like this lineup actually. I want to play Wall with three other three point shooters as much as possible.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:49 PM ----------

Martell has a PER of 13.6, best of his career. He's been valuable to us this year, but he's still technically a below average NBA starter. You can't pay him too much.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:53 PM ----------

Austin is really quick. He is such an oddball. Fascinating player.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:57 PM ----------

I really like what Singleton is doing tonight. Please let him be out of the doghouse. Ariza has quietly started to play well the past few games.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 07:58 PM ----------

Wall just got Ish Smithed.

---------- Post added February-6th-2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

I wonder what Amar'e said to Wall? It's not like Wall to get chippy.