Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I get that, but it's only for one more year than what they would get back from the Wiz. More importantly, they will need someone in return that they think can fill some of the scoring void left by Rudy Gay. It just doesn't make sense for them to do a straight up deal.

Yup, you guys are sippin the surp if they are going too trade Gay for Okafur. Its Nene or the #1 pick most likely protected along with Okafur.

I like Rudy Gay he has elite size and athleticism and can knock down any shot on the floor.

I am fine with either line up

Wall

Beal

Gay

Noel

Okafur

Wall

Beal

Gay

not sure who is here yet maybe Saraphin

Nene

Also I might be wrong, but I thought the new salary cap taxes started the summer of 2014, so going into the 2014/2015 season rather than next year.

My understanding is that the new tax kicks in for the 2013-14 season and the repeater penalty kicks in the following year. The first is a much bigger hit for teams that are way over the cap than they have been paying so far. The repeater portion however is a tsunami wave potentially for some teams that they'll have to make moves to minimize.

Here is an article talking about the impact to the lakers next season

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/18/sports/la-sp-lakers-luxury-tax-20120918

Here is one discussing the Heat and the repeater penalty for 2014-15

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ian_thomsen/12/06/sixth-man-nba-cba-nicolas-batum/index.html

Edited by Destino

I've wanted Rudy Gay for the last two years. There is no possible way Ted and the Wizards would even consider a trade for Gay that included Beal. That being said, I don't see the trade happening. Right now Memphis is 24-11 (4th in the west) and could make some noise in the playoffs. If they trade their leading scorer and can't replace his production (which I doubt they can) it wouldn't make any sense (why would a playoff team do that)...unless they were trying to pull a Mavs and drop money to try to become players in the 2014 FA.....but I doubt a mid-market team like Memphis would do that being that they aren't even in the discussion of a good free agent destination.

I really don't see them having too much value in Okafor or Nene and Beal is really the only guy that makes sense for them. The only remote possibility I see for a trade is them trading Gay for Okafor, Crawford, Webster, and next year's unprotected 1st. I'd do that trade if I was the Wizards, but if I'm Memphis....I'm not making a trade....the team is 24-11 and right in the thick of things....why mess with that chemistry and trade your leading scorer?

My understanding is that the new tax kicks in for the 2013-14 season and the repeater penalty kicks in the following year. The first is a much bigger hit for teams that are way over the cap than they have been paying so far. The repeater portion however is a tsunami wave potentially for some teams that they'll have to make moves to minimize.

Here is an article talking about the impact to the lakers next season

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/18/sports/la-sp-lakers-luxury-tax-20120918

Here is one discussing the Heat and the repeater penalty for 2014-15

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ian_thomsen/12/06/sixth-man-nba-cba-nicolas-batum/index.html

I see. Miami is in a fix. They're going to have to move Dwyane Wade. Realistically, that's their best option. It sucks for Miami fans but he'll be the least valuable member of the big 3 by that point. They'll still contend with LeBron and Bosh but it's going to be a huge blow. And LeBron might not stay if Wade isn't there. Pretty crazy stuff.

The writing has been on the wall for the Lakers for the past year or two. Their way of doing business became unsustainable as soon as the incremental tax was increased during the lockout. The Howard trade was a desperate attempt to grab another ring for Kobe but it's not going to pan out and every week it seems more likely he's going to sign somewhere else this summer. The Lakers might be forced to get rid of Kobe before he retires.

Though I have no doubt they'll be back soon enough. You know if they decide to tank next year Stern's last act will be to make sure they get Wiggins.

---------- Post added January-14th-2013 at 02:01 PM ----------

Hmmm...

Okafor/Vesely for Gay works per the ESPN trade machine.

It's probably not quite the deal they were looking for, but honestly, I think both sides win with that deal.

Memphis is going to probably some perimeter scoring because that's their one weakness that could show up in the playoffs. They want to try and make a run this year. I could see them preferring Crawford or wanting a scorer like Martell as part of the deal.

Long term, your deal is good for Memphis. It gets them out of Gay's contract. It gets them a talented prospect. It gets them a pretty good big man who buttresses them against a Z-Bo injury.

On our side we consolidate our rotation a bit, pick up a guy who would presumably nail down the starting SF spot, without paying too terrible a price in assets.

If we trade for Gay we need to then trade Ariza ASAP IMO.

I've wanted Rudy Gay for the last two years. There is no possible way Ted and the Wizards would even consider a trade for Gay that included Beal. That being said, I don't see the trade happening. Right now Memphis is 24-11 (4th in the west) and could make some noise in the playoffs. If they trade their leading scorer and can't replace his production (which I doubt they can) it wouldn't make any sense (why would a playoff team do that)...unless they were trying to pull a Mavs and drop money to try to become players in the 2014 FA.....but I doubt a mid-market team like Memphis would do that being that they aren't even in the discussion of a good free agent destination.

I really don't see them having too much value in Okafor or Nene and Beal is really the only guy that makes sense for them. The only remote possibility I see for a trade is them trading Gay for Okafor, Crawford, Webster, and next year's unprotected 1st. I'd do that trade if I was the Wizards, but if I'm Memphis....I'm not making a trade....the team is 24-11 and right in the thick of things....why mess with that chemistry and trade your leading scorer?

You and me might be the only ones that like Rudy Gay everyone else thinks he's a overrated, overpaid ball player whos best days are behind him at 26 years old.

I would do the trade you suggested but I would have too top 3 protect that pick.

I don't know what Memphis is thinking is well Zebo is on the block as well

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Hmmm...

Okafor/Vesely for Gay works per the ESPN trade machine.

I'd rather do something like Ariza+Vesely+Singleton+top 7 protected 1st. Maybe I'd ask for Speights or Arthur back in such a deal if Booker can be swapped for Singleton. Ideally i'd still be pursuing cousins over Gay though.

Memphis almost certainly has to deal either Z-Bo or Gay because of their salaries. They are going to have to pick their poison and the longer they wait, the less leverage they are likely to have. Beal would probably get a deal done for them. We're not going to offer him though. I think the reports we put him in a package are crap. If we turned down Harden for Beal we're not going to turn around and trade him for Gay. Also we made Vesely untouchable last year, this FO is conservative with their young cheap players.

Still, I don't think they'll make a deal because they want to try and make a run this season. They don't know what this unit's ceiling really is because it's never been totally there for the playoffs. I bet they are going to turn down all the deals unless someone bowls them over so they can try to make one last run with this group.

You and me might be the only ones that like Rudy Gay everyone else thinks he's a overrated, overpaid ball player whos best days are behind him at 26 years old.

I would do the trade you suggested but I would have too top 3 protect that pick.

Gay isn't a bad player, he's just making 6 mil more than what he ought to. If we wanted to pay max money for a SF with potential we should have just planned to make a run for Batum, who is living up to his contract and then some. Gay has negative trade value right now, especially in this CBA era. Ideally it ought to be simply Okafor/Ariza for him and not a penny more. Even then, we're on the hook for bad production for an extra year, but large expirings can be used as good trade chips by competent GMs....and there lies the problem...

I don't know what Memphis is thinking is well Zebo is on the block as well

I've read that they are putting out feelers on Zebo....the only thing I can think of is A) the owners are very cheap and will absolutely not go into the luxury tax penalties for 2014 and are making preemptive moves to avoid that. B) Newly added Hollinger is completely retooling their roster to fit into his philosophies.

I don't get why people don't like Gay. He is very athletic, can attack the rim, and create matchup problems for other teams. He isn't a great defender, but has the tools to become one (kind of like Wall). A lineup that had Wall/Beal/Gay is a lineup of guards/wings that gets to the basket and doesn't settle for jumpers. Beal wouldn't be the #1 scoring option at wing anymore, which would allow him to settle in as a young rookie. I love this combination of players. You have these three with Nene at the center and you have 4/5 of a really good starting 5. You either roll with Seraphin at the 4 or you could throw booker in there until we can acquire a better option. Keep Crawfor/Price/Temple as the guards off the bench....could be an interesting lineup.

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/290876475069067265

Aldridge

@daldridgetnt

It would be a surprise if Wizards offered Beal for Gay. They like Gay. They love Beal.

---------- Post added January-14th-2013 at 02:23 PM ----------

I don't get why people don't like Gay. He is very athletic, can attack the rim, and create matchup problems for other teams.

The reason people don't like Rudy is because his production doesn't equal his talent level.....or his salary.

But with that being said, I'm not completely opposed to trading for him.

Perhaps Wall can help unlock some of his potential.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm skeptical. He's a seven year vet, I'd be surprised if he had much more upside left. He had the opportunity to be the franchise guy in Memphis too. If he had it in him, I think he would have seized that role.

His level of play should see some increase from playing with Wall though. You'd think it would anyway.

I'm skeptical. He's a seven year vet, I'd be surprised if he had much more upside left. He had the opportunity to be the franchise guy in Memphis too. If he had it in him, I think he would have seized that role.

His level of play should see some increase from playing with Wall though. You'd think it would anyway.

Mayo looks a lot better in a different offense than whatever the Grizz were running the last couple years so I think there is a chance. I don't think any improvement would be a major one though.

Edited by Destino

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/01/14/agent-bradley-beal-has-not-been-offered-to-memphis/

Agent: Bradley Beal has not been offered to Memphis

Wizards rookie guard Bradley Beal has not been mentioned in trade discussions with the Memphis Grizzlies involving swingman Rudy Gay, according to Beal’s agent, Mark Bartelstein.

The Memphis Commercial-Appeal reported Monday that the Grizzlies have “entertained” an offer from the Wizards that would include Beal in a larger package.”I’ve talked to both teams. There is absolutely nothing to it,” Bartelstein said.

“The Wizards have made it very clear that they are not moving Brad Beal.”

Multiple league sources confirm that the Wizards have spoken with Memphis about prying away Gay, the team’s leading scorer, with one adding that Washington is “pushing for” his services.

That push, however, does not include Beal, the third overall pick of the 2012 draft.

A source with knowledge of the Wizards’ thinking called the report of the team offering Beal, “100 percent not true.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

The reason people don't like Rudy is because his production doesn't equal his talent level.....or his salary.

But with that being said, I'm not completely opposed to trading for him.

Yeah, I get that...I do agree that he is overpayed. I also believe Nene and Okafor are also overpayed. Mid-market teams like Washington and Memphis have to overpay to get decent players. Gay is a 20 ppg 6 reb guy on a team without a good point guard. I think you are correct; John Wall could help Rudy Gay become a better player than he already is.

Gay is 5th in the NBA for scoring SFs (that is with Melo and James listed at SF...when you could argue they both play quite a bit of PF and shouldn't be in the same category)

I was told that the deal offered was Okafor,Webster,Singleton and our 2014 1st top 3 protected. In 2015 it would be unprotected. All second hand info.

Was told this again today. Memphis wants the 2014 pick unprotected. Beal is off limits. Could be smoke they've given me very good info in the past but I dunno.

Was told this again today. Memphis wants the 2014 pick unprotected. Beal is off limits. Could be smoke they've given me very good info in the past but I dunno.

If that is the trade proposal I am taking it and running and not looking back. 2013 pick isn't even in the fold? Wall, Beal, Gay,Noel, and Nene it's no way we are going too be that low in the lottery.

Listening to the game so I only know so much, but Glenn Consor its talking about how the mere presence of John Wall in a uniform makes my boy Vesely play so much better. That for whatever reason,.it just boosts Vesely's confidence. 8 points so far tonight :)

John is a leader. He just knows how to handle his teammates. You can see it between the plays. It's just in the body language between Ves and John that John knows how to communicate with him and get him out of his shell and to just relax. It's almost like John is a coach out on the floor for Jan, doing all the things a PG should. And it's not just when John is on the floor with him. It carries over even when John has been on the bench.