Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Weapons minus guns and knives ok with you? I don't want you crying when I whip out the baseball bat covered in barbwire and put it upside your dome. And I'll make sure Vishal will be there. They'll probably need the extra set of hands to load you into the ambulance.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Weapons minus guns and knives ok with you? I don't want you crying when I whip out the baseball bat covered in barbwire and put it upside your dome. And I'll make sure Vishal will be there. They'll probably need the extra set of hands to load you into the ambulance.

No weapons, only fists, lets settle this the old fashioned way. I'll make quick work of Vishal, and proceed to take my time beating you to a pulp. While Vishal is out cold, I'm gonna spraypaint LEBRON on his back, ala the old WCW/NWO days, and for you, I have an authentic Lebron James Miami Heat jersey that will look perfect, when draped over the top of your concussed body. :)

Hell if Hubbs wants to come I'll gladly whoop his ass too, just because.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/11/dwyane-wade-on-gilbert-arenas.html

Dwyane Wade on Gilbert Arenas: "He decided to get into the fight"

Near the end of the first half of the Wizards' 105-94 loss in Miami on Monday, Gilbert Arenas pulled up from deep behind the three-point line to quickly drain a shot that silenced the crowd. It wasn't quite a "Hibachi" moment, but it was a reminder of an earlier era when Arenas would routinely end or begin runs with a quick three-pointer.

And, it was a welcome sight for Heat all-star guard Dwyane Wade, who has noticed the change in Arenas's play in recent weeks. Wade has spent some time with Arenas the past two summers in Chicago, where they both train with Tim Grover, and knows how hard he pushed himself to get healthy again. But Wade was understandably concerned when Arenas arrived at training camp looking despondent and distant.

"Gilbert's dealt with a lot of things on the basketball court, but off the court as well. You always like to see a guy who comes through adversity, especially when it looked like earlier in the year, he wasn't there mentally with the team," Wade said. "He decided to get into the fight and have some great games for them."

With his 23-point game on Monday, Arenas moved ahead of John Wall as the Wizards' new leading scorer at 18.1 points per game. Ever since he returned to Chicago on Nov. 13, Arenas has been playing at a different level, beginning with his 30-point outburst against the Bulls. In his past nine games, Arenas has averaged 21.6 points and 6.2 assists. He had a season-high 31-point game in a loss to Orlando on Saturday and handed out a career-high 16 assists against Detroit.

"He's one of the best talents we have in the game," Wade said. "He's a guy that defenses fear, because you never know what you're going to get from him. He puts pressure on you all the time."

With Wall missing six of the past eight games, Arenas has been asked to take on a greater offensive load than either he or Coach Flip Saunders had expected, with him working his way back from a strained tendon in his right ankle.

"I think he's playing great this year," said Arenas's former teammate, Mike Miller. "It was tough for him, coming into a situation like that. He's used to being the man -- I still think he is -- but they are going to put the ball in John Wall's hand more, but I think he's playing great."

Arenas has been mostly a jump shooter, as he continues to try to regain that burst. He also recently complained about trying to adjust to how officials are now allowing big men to jump straight up while contesting shots and not calling fouls on contact. He hasn't driven the ball as much, which is why he averages just 3.5 free throw attempts a game. But Arenas said he understands that he has to assume more responsibilities until Wall returns.

"Right now, I have to be aggressive," Arenas said. "I catch myself, like I did in the middle of the third and the beginning of the fourth [against Miami], just sitting there watching and I think that's when the game started slipping away and I think that's when I have to assert myself. When John comes back, I can go back to what I was before."

Arenas said he didn't get too caught up in his individual matchup with Wade. "It just feels good just playing in the NBA again," he said. "No matter who it is any night. When you're playing, you take it for granted that the game could be over any second. And I'm just happy to be out there to be part of it again."

And Wade is pleased to see Arenas looking more like the player he remembers. "More so, because I know Gil, I know some of the things he's been through, I'm just happy to see him play basketball and not be in the media about anything else, just basketball."

Gilbert is becoming Agent Zero again, even if he's not wearing the number anymore.

This is the first time in more than a year that I would strongly consider holding onto him if I were GM and got a decent trade offer. The way he's playing, I want to see more of him with a healthy Wall and a healthy McGee. Between Gil, Wall, Hinrich, and the explosion that has been Nick Young this season, I'm really starting to warm up to Flip's three-guard sets. Three guards and McGee is a pretty damn strong lineup (I'd obviously favor reverting to a normal set when resting our main guys). Now if we could only replace Blatche with someone who isn't a complete bum, we could have 5 players on the floor who, in my opinion, could compete with the best of the best.

:doh:

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2010/12/1/1847994/source-orlando-magic-discuss-gilbert-arenas-trade-with-washington

Source: Orlando Magic Discuss Gilbert Arenas Trade with Washington Wizards

The Orlando Magic have engaged the Washington Wizards in an ongoing trade dialog centered around Wizards shooting guard Gilbert Arenas, Orlando Pinstriped Post has learned. What Orlando would send Washington in return for the three-time All-Star is less clear, but the proposed deal likely includes shooting guard Vince Carter, according to a source. Wizards big man Andray Blatche, Magic forward Rashard Lewis, and Magic center Daniel Orton could also be involved. Both teams have a mutual understanding of what the trade might include, the source says, and it's unclear what factors are holding up the trade. What is clear around the league, however, is that Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith has his eye on Arenas. If Orlando is to make a major trade this season, Arenas will likely be the target.

CBS Sports' Ken Berger reported the Magic listened to trade offers regarding Arenas this summer, but rebuffed the Wizards due to concern over the salary remaining on his contract, which runs for three seasons after this one, at a total cost of $62.4 million. In early November, Marc Stein of ESPN.com reported "the Magic have cooled on the notion of a Vince Carter-for-Arenas exchange," citing "NBA front-office sources." However, the source who spoke to Orlando Pinstriped Post contradicts Stein's report, saying Orlando has indeed initiated the discussions with Washington of late.

A series of knee injuries limited the former Arizona Wildcat to 15 games between the 2007/08 and 2008/09 seasons, while a suspension for locker-room gunplay, in addition to more knee trouble, held him to 32 games last season. He's played in 13 of the Wizards' 16 games this season, averaging 18.1 points, 4 rebounds, and 5.3 assists while shooting 39.5 percent from the floor and 37.2 percent from beyond the arc.

Smith and Arenas have a longstanding relationship dating back to their days with the Golden State Warriors, where Smith served as the Executive Director of Community Relations and, during the 2002/03 season, Executive Director of Basketball Operations. Golden State selected Arenas with the 30th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft. He won the NBA's Most Improved Player of the Year Award in 2003, averaging 18.3 points, 4.7 boards, and 6.3 assists. He joined the Wizards in free agency that summer, and then re-signed with them in the summer of 2008.

Earlier this week, Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel reported the Magic are "willing to take a step back" via trade if it improves their long-term outlook.

In the Magic's win over Washington last Saturday, Arenas scored a season-high 31 points and shot 14 free throws in what one may fairly term a vintage performance. His game-winning runner attempt, however, glanced hard off the glass.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Liking what Nick Young is bringing to the table.

On a completely unrelated note, I really can't wait for the new Wizards uniforms next year. While the home uni is alright, the road uniform is atrocious. That blue is horrific.

Nice assist from Arenas to Blatche for a dunk. And Juwan Howard is in the game. I really can't believe he's still in the league.

Any pictures?

Trade one aging star for another? No thanks.

I like Gilbert - but you HAVE to trade Gilbert for VC if offered. 100% - no question. Pull the trigger ASAP. Might hurt for me to see Gil go, but it would absolutely be the right thing for this team.

However, if they try and throw us Rashard Lewis, I would not be happy. I don't want his contract at all.

Edited by Duckus

I like Gilbert - but you HAVE to trade Gilbert for VC if offered. 100% - no question. Pull the trigger ASAP. Might hurt for me to see Gil go, but it would absolutely be the right thing for this team.

However, if they try and throw us Rashard Lewis, I would not be happy. I don't want his contract at all.

Um... why? Vince is older, and we're a young team that needs to grow into its own talent. Why exactly do we want to make a move that might secure the #8 or #7 seed in the playoffs for a couple years and extend our train ride to nowhere?

Um... why? Vince is older, and we're a young team that needs to grow into its own talent. Why exactly do we want to make a move that might secure the #8 or #7 seed in the playoffs for a couple years and extend our train ride to nowhere?

It is actually the ticket we need to rebuild and build around this young talent.

Expiring contract. You trade Gilbert to Orlando because Orlando wants to get better for a championship run. Orlando trades VC to us because they know we can dump him at the end of the year.

Orlando gets better now with Gilbert.

We get out of the Gilbert contract, dump VC, and have room for FAs. We then build 100% around Wall and McGee over 2-3 years.

The trade basically gives us nothing after this year, but gets us free of the Gilbert contract. VC sucks. His trade bait is his contract.

It would be considered a "smart" trade if the Wiz pulled it off.

Edited by Duckus

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2010/12/1/1848642/gilbert-arenas-trade-rumor-magic-vince-carter

Carter has a partially guaranteed deal for the 2011/12 season. If he is not waived before June 30, 2011, Carter's salary of $18.3 million becomes fully guaranteed; if he is waived by the above date, he pockets $4 million and becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The $4 million figure will stay on his team's cap for that year.

If we were to waive him we would take a 4 million cap hit for next year. But that would be it. Would be really nice to have that space to build around Wall and McGee.

Then again, I think Gil seems to be turning it around so I am torn.

Vince is an expiring contract.

Arenas is a perfect fit for Orlando. He's Jameer Nelson on steroids. He does everything Nelson does but much better.

Too bad besides Vince's contract, Orlando has nothing to offer us. If we are sending Gilbert away, I'd like to have at least some kind of young talent come back as compensation. JJ Reddick would be nice but Nick Young does everything Reddick does so it's a wash.

I would like to see Arenas in Orlando though. I want him to find success in the league once again. He was a dynamic star in DC and he deserves better after being screwed over by the pathetic medical staff.

Edited by No Excuses

Vince is an expiring contract.

Arenas is a perfect fit for Orlando. He's Jameer Nelson on steroids. He does everything Nelson does but much better.

Too bad besides Vince's contract, Orlando has nothing to offer us. If we are sending Gilbert away, I'd like to have at least some kind of young talent come back as compensation. JJ Reddick would be nice but Nick Young does everything Reddick does so it's a wash.

I would like to see Arenas in Orlando though. I want him to find success in the league once again. He was a dynamic star in DC and he deserves better after being screwed over by the pathetic medical staff.

Ah, didn't think about the contract angle. Hmmm. That makes the deal at least tempting, but like I said before, Arenas is coming back so strongly that I'm not sure I'd want to deal him anymore, not yet anyway.

http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2010/12/1/1848642/gilbert-arenas-trade-rumor-magic-vince-carter

If we were to waive him we would take a 4 million cap hit for next year. But that would be it. Would be really nice to have that space to build around Wall and McGee.

Then again, I think Gil seems to be turning it around so I am torn.

I would consider Gil for Vince straight up but I'm not including Blatche (even though he's frustrating at times).

Heck, I'm not even sure I want to trade Gil at all....especially when it'll strengthen a division rival.

I would consider Gil for Vince straight up but I'm not including Blatche (even though he's frustrating at times).

Heck, I'm not even sure I want to trade Gil at all....especially when it'll strengthen a division rival.

Yea, I am torn on it. I 100% don't want Lewis involved in the deal.

But Vince for Gil would be tempting. Problem is that Gil is just starting to look like his old self. I kind of want to see where this is going.

If we trade Gil, it's not going to be to Orlando just to get an expiring. We extended Gil knowing his injury situation. I really don't see them giving up now just as he's starting to look like his old self, the player we basically gave the max to. And to trade him, a player with a LONG memory that holds grudges, within the division? That would be beyond stupid.

I think this is another case of a blogger throwing something out there simply because there are a lot of things on both sides of the deal that appear to make sense at face value.