Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Porter is a good player. We need to utilize him more on offense but he also needs to be more aggressive. So many times i see him get an open shot and he pump fakes, drives, and passes. Just take the shot dude, you're the 3rd best 3 point shooter in the league % wise.

We definitely need a new C though. I think Morris is passable at PF with a better C. And Oubre, Sato, and Scott give us a decent bench. Even Mahimi is at least giving us some energy off the bench. But Gortat is finito save for the occasional screen and roll.

I just realized I was in section 415 on Friday. I hope you could hear me losing my at the balcony. @Renegade7

Gortat right now is indispensable because his screens are literally the only thing that stands between an unpredictable offense and frantic late clock mid range hell. That's on Brooks of course, but I digress. Marcin is giving it all right now. 

Scott won't be here next year. He earned himself a multi year deal- something we can't afford. 

Otto improved across the board for the 5th straight year. I have no doubts he will come into next season with an improved handle. 

5 hours ago, purbeast said:

Thanks. 

That is weird then because yesterday on Twitter they said they were giving out the give-away shirts from game 3 with purchases at the store between 3pm and 5pm, which would mean it opened up 3 hours prior to game time.  I wish I had known that so I could have tried to get down there earlier.  I also didn't expect them to sell out of jerseys at the team store, I would figure they would have boatloads of them in backrooms somewhere, since they have to re-up on them every few nights.

Maybe the three hours is a playoff thing. It's definitely two hours during the regular season.

17 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Maybe the three hours is a playoff thing. It's definitely two hours during the regular season.

Yeah I actually called the store today and they told me the same thing that you said - 2 hours before the game. I wonder if it really means "2 hours before the gate opens" though, since the gates open 1 hour before the game starts.  I'm going to game 6 too and want to be sure to get there early to get the damn jersey I want before they sell out!

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Hes going to have to if we plan to improve the team. I domt see another way for hit to happen unless he takes another leap. 

He needs to learn to dribble.  There's no need to complicate it any more than that.  Either he learns how to dribble the ball through contact with defenders around him, or he'll never live up to his contract.  Especially in the playoffs.  

Lowry can defend him, and has been doing exactly that, because he can't dribble with Lowry near him.  Last year the Celtics hid IT by having him defend Otto.  He couldn't dribble around that tiny bama either.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Destino said:

He needs to learn to dribble.  There's no need to complicate it any more than that.  Either he learns how to dribble the ball through contact with defenders around him, or he'll never live up to his contract.  Especially in the playoffs.  

Brad learned to dribble in an offseason. I have faith Otto can figure that out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I just realized I was in section 415 on Friday. I hope you could hear me losing my at the balcony. @Renegade7

Likewise : )   I love re-watching games I go to and hearing the crowd saying stuff I was apart of (even if it wasn't the whole arena).  The Airball chants, you know it, I booed every single Toronto foul shot.  I don't like yelling at my TV (it just feels weird now), but if I've paid for the right to tell you exactly how I feel about your performance, you better believe I'm going to do that.

5 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

My gut tells me Otto's getting moved during the offseason.

For what though?  He's max now and not living up to it, that's a bad combo in regards to trade value.

5 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Man, I really don't like agreeing with SAS, but when you're right, you're right.

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

When the crowd was chanting "eff the refs", I don't think I've ever heard a DC sports arena louder.

I haven't been to Nats or Caps game yet, but Wizards game fan experience is light-years above the Redskins at FedEx.  I still love going the Redskins games, but ya, I enjoy Wizards games more right now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Destino said:

Lowry can defend him, and has been doing exactly that, because he can't dribble with Lowry near him.  Last year the Celtics hid IT by having him defend Otto.  He couldn't dribble around that tiny bama either.  

Otto is scared to put the ball on the court.  He's had the training wheels on too long by being able to ride Wall's and Beal's coattails.

I also think his legs are still too skinny and that hinders his ability to get to the rim.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Otto is scared to put the ball on the court.  He's had the training wheels on too long by being able to ride Wall's and Beal's coattails.

I also think his legs are still too skinny and that hinders his ability to get to the rim.

Ye' neva tell no lie:

image.png.18f726e5c9a6e5b0607cc0317603efbe.png

Like seriously, he's a 4th year player and he still walking around looking like a vegan.  Is he ever going to fill out?

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Am I the only one who was relieved to see Beal freak out and get angry like he did after getting fouled out on that stupid ass call?  I love seeing that fired up competitor in him.

Now if I could just see the same from Otto, I'd feel a lot better.

I'm a firm believer that I'd rather have to dial someone down then dial someone up, so yes, I agree with you.

My question:  Paul George has a player option this offseason.  Is there a way we can sign him in the offseason at the same time we have Porter on the books and actively trying to trade him.  I'd be fine with borderline trading Otto for peanuts just to get that contract off the books so we can afford PG, but I want bird in hand to be safe (would not trade Otto until we got PG to agree to a contract).  Will CBA allow that?  

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Am I the only one who was relieved to see Beal freak out and get angry like he did after getting fouled out on that stupid ass call?  I love seeing that fired up competitor in him.

Now if I could just see the same from Otto, I'd feel a lot better.

Well the commentators sure liked it.  Couldn't shut up about it after the game. 

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm a firm believer that I'd rather have to dial someone down then dial someone up, so yes, I agree with you.

My question:  Paul George has a player option this offseason.  Is there a way we can sign him in the offseason at the same time we have Porter on the books and actively trying to trade him.  I'd be fine with borderline trading Otto for peanuts just to get that contract off the books so we can afford PG, but I want bird in hand to be safe (would not trade Otto until we got PG to agree to a contract).  Will CBA allow that?  

In the NBA you have to make balanced trades if the move you're making puts you over the cap.  One side can not take in more than 125% of their outgoing money unless they have the cap space to absorb the full value of the contract without going over.

That means to trade Otto without taking any money back, we would have to find a team with a ton of cap room that can absorb his contract fully.  Otherwise you gain only marginal cap room from trading Otto.  There aren't many teams with max cap space this summer.  And I'm not inclined to give Otto away for free for any reason, much less to speculate on the possibility that Paul George might choose us in an open market.

And it wouldn't be just salary dumping Otto either.  If you could just magically erase his salary, we would still have 98 million in cap commitments and the cap is projected to be 108 million.  10 million dollars in cap space ain't getting Paul George.  You would have to find a way to salary dump several other guys, including at least one of Marcin or Mahinmi, which WILL take assets to unload.

It's not happening.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's not happening.

Dammit, man.  I mean, Brooklyn is one of those teams that are expected to have the cap space to go after someone max this offseason, but I kept mixing up Gortat having one year left with the idea that he's probably going to retire.  It's against the rules to give him a briefcase of money without telling anyone if he agrees to retire right?  That sounds like some "My Cousin Vinny" **** right there, but that last year on his contract is just criminal in regards to his play on the court, especially since he's been hinting at being done for over a year now.

Edit:  and to be clear, no way do I want to trade Otto without getting a commitment from PG first, but its sounds like that's just not the way it works.

Edited by Renegade7