Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Frazier is garbage.  He dribbles into trouble on offense and goes under screens way too much on defense.  I would much rather have PG by committee with Meeks and Beal until Wall gets back, then Sato can slot into PG2.

I also love watching an unbridled Sato play, he reminds me quite a bit of Greivis Vazquez running the point, with more hops.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I really dont understand what they are waiting for on this. 

A Gortat trade?

Regardless of what happens the rest of the season, he is the one guy who definitely has to go this offseason.  We need to replace him with a cheap young big.

Gortat is a negative presence for us both on and off the court.  He is neither a bad contract nor a bad player for the majority of NBA teams.  But he is for us because of the money we committed to his back up.  And because Mahinmi is a better fit for us now than Gortat is and Gortat's presence is blocking us from using Mahinmi the way we need to be doing.  The roster construction makes a lot more sense if you trade Gortat, promote Mahinmi, and find a young center to groom as Mahinmi's back up.  Just about everything falls into place if you do those things.

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Otto can't play extended minutes banging at the 4 because of his hip. It's our best lineup, but we really shouldn't run it very often until playoffs are nigh

Agreed.  Not just because of the hip either, Otto is not physically strong enough to handle a ton of minutes at PF even when his hip is feeling good.

That's why I've backed off on the position that Morris needs to be traded.  He's a good player when he plays hard like this.  He's got some JR Smith in him.  They're unpredictable and there is no middle ground with them.  But when playing well, he can win you playoff games.

We shouldn't need to overplay Otto at the four either because, even if we dump Gortat, we have six high caliber rotation players at forward and center:

- Sato, Oubre, and Otto at SF

- Otto, Morris, and Scott at PF

- Mahinmi and Morris at C

Seven if you include Gortat.

From that, you should be able to figure out how to keep Otto's PF minutes under control.

For now I would just be going to that Oubre/Mahinmi/Otto combination in crunch time.

12 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Frazier is garbage.  He dribbles into trouble on offense and goes under screens way too much on defense.  I would much rather have PG by committee with Meeks and Beal until Wall gets back, then Sato can slot into PG2.

No thanks.  Meeks is washed.  He's been the common denominator in almost all of our worst line ups.  Frazier has been better than him all year and deserves to be playing over him.  The Frazier/Sato and Frazier/Beal back courts work better than the ones with Meeks.

^^^ Hilarious!

Hm, yes, the Wizards definitely should ship out a 22-year-old two-way wing with brain-melting athleticism who can guard multiple positions and hit 40 percent of his three-pointers, plus a first-round pick that would give them their best near-term shot at ever replacing that skill-set, to get an aging 29-year-old center who can’t score from outside the restricted area or play in fourth quarters and who will never ever get better than he already is and who isn’t all that good even now and who only has one extremely expensive season left on his hilariously oversized contract. :rofl89:

• Like 3

I kind of like the Morris = JR Smith comparison, mentality-wise. But Morris is one of those guys that plays better when pissed off or insulted. I call it the Steve Smith effect. JR is a crapshoot. 

Anyways, I gave Morris the benefit of the doubt the first half of the season. Surgery right before the season sucks. He's been playing great for a few weeks now. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

If you have solid core with 3 max players basically. 

Not to mention relatively young... 

1st rounder shouldn't matter that much. 

Draft picks matter financially as an offset to those max contracts and as depth.  If they draft well, the team will stay athletic, young, and fairly deep.  This is especially important to a team that is good but not yet a sure championship contender.  A team like the Warriors can shift gears into "win now mode" where the goal can be to purely assemble the best talent for a short term.  Age matters less.  If you look at Golden State's bench it's pretty much all older players.  Young (32), Livingston (32), Zaza (33), Iggy (34), and West (37).  

If a team goes with a short term plan prematurely, they run the risk of ending up like the Clippers (one example of many).  Team gets old, fails, and ultimately falls apart without having won a title.  There's no clear path for getting back either as they have few young players to develop or build around, and no stockpile of draft picks to use.  

The wizards are not contenders today so they need to keep improving with an eye toward the future.  The way to do that is to stockpile assets in the form of draft picks and young players and wait for opportunity.  

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What's Gortat's contract situation like? Could we get a 1st round pick back for him?

No.