Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I mean, Wall is second in the east in assists only behind LeBron, so that has to count for something in regards to guards, where he's 6th highest scoring guard in the East.  I agree that he isn't playing as well as he did last year, but I think he sneaks in.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

That's what makes adding Kara so good. She didn't have the ego to deny doing a 3 person call with Phil. She understood the significance he had on the franchise and us as fans. 

Having said that, it's nice having someone closer to my age call the games. She has lingo that I just connect with better. Her commentary on the second time Beal destroyed Prozingas was epic. She said Unicorns can go to the graveyard too. Lol

Were you watching a few games ago when Chris Miller tried to call her out for using "dope"?  I had a good laugh when she wrote "not dope" on his picture later in the broadcast.  You're right her age adding something to the broadcast. 

If I had my way, they'd always have all three of them in the booth.  I think the three are better than any pairing and Phil and Kara are both better when they don't have to talk too much. 

• Like 3

Just now, Destino said:

Were you watching a few games ago when Chris Miller tried to call her out for using "dope"?  I had a good laugh when she wrote "not dope" on his picture later in the broadcast.

I actually remember the first part when she said dope. Probably missed the second part. That's hilarious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Oubre and Sato, two young players developing. Dare I say, credit to....Ernie Grunfeld???

Sato is 26, he's not a "young" player by NBA standards.  He's inexperienced but his youth was spent in Europe because he refused to come here.  Remember he was drafted the same year as Bradly Beal (2012).  I think he finally agreed to join the Wizards when he became eligible for a guaranteed deal.

Oubre is 22, so he certainly is a young player that's developing well, but he was also the 15th overall pick.  How much credit am I supposed to give a GM for a 15th overall pick looking good coming off the bench in his 3rd year?   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Oubre is 22, so he certainly is a young player that's developing well, but he was also the 15th overall pick.  How much credit am I supposed to give a GM for a 15th overall pick looking good coming off the bench in his 3rd year?   

None.  Ernie exists only as a whipping boy.  Maintain a consistent approach.

• Haha 2

Speaking of Oubre, he's lucky they came back with a vengeance. I was going to be on his tail if they lost that game. Des did remind me of just how young he is though, but even at 22, he needs to know that he has to control himself at all times no matter the situation. Those three aggressive drives and dumb foul led to four scoring possessions for the Knicks.

I am just nitpicking, but they can't have mess-ups like that against better teams in the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Speaking of Oubre, he's lucky they came back with a vengeance. I was going to be on his tail if they lost that game. Des did remind me of just how young he is though, but even at 22, he needs to know that he has to control himself at all times no matter the situation. Those three aggressive drives and dumb foul led to four scoring possessions for the Knicks.

I am just nitpicking, but they can't have mess-ups like that against better teams in the playoffs.

There are two things Oubre does that need to stop

1 - Gambles far too much on defense.  This results in easy buckets for the other team or stupid fouls far more often than steals. 

2 - He gets tunnel vision around the rim.  He's improved, this doesn't happen every single time as before, but he needs to accept that three defenders waiting for him at the rim means that it's time to pass the ball. 

But... the fact that we're talking about such a short list is encouraging.  Last season I'd cringe as soon as he started driving to the rim in traffic. 

• Haha 1

Kelly is never going to be as good as Otto.  Otto understands the game at a level that Kelly will never reach and he is a significantly better shot maker.  Otto is one of the ten best finishers in the NBA when you consider every part of the floor.  He is a true dead eye.  Combine that with his anticipation and high level of offensive skill and you get limited turnovers and very infrequent cold spells.  And elite efficiency ratings.

But Kelly excels at areas where Otto does not and thus he can play a different role than Otto does.  Finishing above the rim and through contact for one.  Defending on the ball for another.  That left handed shot is hard to block.  His strength, lateral speed, length, and aggression make him our best on-ball stopper.  So he brings unique value to the table.

Between Beal, Porter, Sato, and Oubre, we have the perfect set of wings.  You could play all four together and have an amazing line up.  We need to keep all of them for the duration of the Wall era.  But that means we have GOT to find some quality bigs (growing up in the same window as them) before Oubre and Sato get expensive.  Time is running out for that.

I want Trey Lyles and I want Nerlens Noel.

18 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kelly is never going to be as good as Otto.  Otto understands the game at a level that Kelly will never reach and he is a significantly better shot maker.  Otto is one of the ten best finishers in the NBA when you consider every part of the floor.  He is a true dead eye.  Combine that with his anticipation and high level of offensive skill and you get limited turnovers and very infrequent cold spells.  And elite efficiency ratings.

But Kelly excels at areas where Otto does not and thus he can play a different role than Otto does.  Finishing above the rim and through contact for one.  Defending on the ball for another.  That left handed shot is hard to block.  His strength, lateral speed, length, and aggression make him our best on-ball stopper.  So he brings unique value to the table.

Between Beal, Porter, Sato, and Oubre, we have the perfect set of wings.  You could play all four together and have an amazing line up.  We need to keep all of them for the duration of the Wall era.  But that means we have GOT to find some quality bigs (growing up in the same window as them) before Oubre and Sato get expensive.  Time is running out for that.

I want Trey Lyles and I want Nerlens Noel.

Otto and Oubre (at age 22) are A LOT more similar than what you may have realized.

2mgma1d.png

I don't think it's that far-fetched to say that Oubre COULD be a better player by age 24/25....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Otto and Oubre (at age 22) are A LOT more similar than what you may have realized.

Fair point.  But I think you have to take into account that Brooks has been waaaay better for Oubre's development than Wittman was for Otto's.  Otto was also a late bloomer, particularly from a physical standpoint, whereas Kelly is precocious.

Otto made a quantum leap from age 22 to age 23 as everything started coming together for him: he grew a ton as an athlete and shooter and he got a coach that started maximizing his development.

I definitely wouldn't expect that kind of leap from Kelly next season.  It'd be amazing, but I don't think it's realistic.  I don't see the seeds for the kind of growth in Kelly that there were with Otto.