Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Thank God they're finally trying to reform the officiating though.  Adam Silver is so much better than Stern was.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/02/nba-improving-officiating-more-refs

All of the ideas presented in the article are good.  But they still don't go far enough IMO.  The league's officials are so dirty that they have to push most of these old heads out.  You will never convince me that Tim Donaghy is the only NBA ref who was point shaving.  And you will never convince me that the refs don't hold grudges and **** over the owners/coaches/players they don't like.  We never got resolution or a house cleaning after the Donaghy scandal.  And the league has always looked the other way at officials with blatant bias, to the point where professional gamblers profit off of tracking the biases.  There is a culture of corruption in NBA reffing that you'll never get rid of without identifying and forcing out the bad eggs.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Lebron left his team to join superstars in Miami.

Durant went to Golden State and has been their best player and arguably the best player in the NBA this season.

There is ZERO evidence that Durant is like that. You guys need to stop this "hot takes" sports analysis.

That's not a "hot take", that's based on years of listening to Durant and understanding the type of guy he is. He's super friendly, I don't think he has a reputation of being nasty on the court or going out to steal people's souls like others (ie Westbrook). It was also pretty much confirmed this offseason that he didn't want to deal with the hero ball aspect of OKC, which is more than understandable.

He has been the best player on the team this season but he would've been more than okay to be 2nd or 3rd. Kobe for example, probably never thought he was second fiddle to Shaq. Again, there is nothing wrong with being a nice guy. He's going to get his rings.

Having an opinion on someone doesn't = hot take.

• Like 2

One more thing about the officiating:

I get why the NBA swept the Donaghy scandal under the rug and hasn't been willing to clean house.  Making the extent of the corruption in the officiating public would be so damaging.  It would taint the legacy of everything that happened in the league before.  The NBA is proud of its history and celebrates it almost as much as the MLB celebrates theirs.  It's a big part of the brand.

They're probably 100% right that it's less damaging for the league to have dirty, awful officiating if it gets normalized and lost in the endless churn of an NBA season that holds thousands of games than it would be to expose the problem.

They also probably don't want to tangle with the referee's union if they can avoid it.

But despite that, I still don't care.  The league needs reform.  The players and fans deserve a well and honestly officiated game.  Without that, the NBA will never truly shed it's mom and pop reputation and become the king sport.  It's one of the two biggest issues the league has (the other being competitive balance).

26 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

That's not a "hot take", that's based on years of listening to Durant and understanding the type of guy he is. He's super friendly, I don't think he has a reputation of being nasty on the court or going out to steal people's souls like others (ie Westbrook). It was also pretty much confirmed this offseason that he didn't want to deal with the hero ball aspect of OKC, which is more than understandable.

He has been the best player on the team this season but he would've been more than okay to be 2nd or 3rd. Kobe for example, probably never thought he was second fiddle to Shaq. Again, there is nothing wrong with being a nice guy. He's going to get his rings.

Having an opinion on someone doesn't = hot take.

Durant been disrespecting the media the last 3 years. Durant is a regular dude, but I dont know about this super friendly stuff.

And I have no idea how you can say he isnt "nasty" when he walked into teh Warriors team and became the best player on the team and is arguably having the best individual season in the NBA. (his efficiency is crazy this year)

There is no evidence of anything you are saying except it feels like it comes from media hot takes. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thank God they're finally trying to reform the officiating though.  Adam Silver is so much better than Stern was.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/02/nba-improving-officiating-more-refs

All of the ideas presented in the article are good.  But they still don't go far enough IMO.  The league's officials are so dirty that they have to push most of these old heads out.  You will never convince me that Tim Donaghy is the only NBA ref who was point shaving.  And you will never convince me that the refs don't hold grudges and **** over the owners/coaches/players they don't like.  We never got resolution or a house cleaning after the Donaghy scandal.  And the league has always looked the other way at officials with blatant bias, to the point where professional gamblers profit off of tracking the biases.  There is a culture of corruption in NBA reffing that you'll never get rid of without identifying and forcing out the bad eggs.

I don't know about point shaving, but I do think that there is a mandate from the league to make sure certain players, teams, and cities get the benefit of the doubt. I'm sorry but a no name scrub rookie got more FT attempts then John Wall the other night vs. the Warriors, that should NEVER happen. If Wall played in NY or LA he'd be a league leader in FT attempts.

I agree though that there needs to be an overhaul in the officiating crew. But I think that's an issue in EVERY sport.

Not that I'm complaining, but why didn't Toronto make a serious push for Jennings?  And you would think that Jennings would have a shot at a starting role with Lowry's injury.  Looking forward to seeing him in action tonight.

Tonight's game is huge.  A win should put us at 2-1 over the Raptors which could be big for the playoff seedings.

Anyone listen to the Bill Simmons podcast with JJ Reddick?  It was a couple weeks ago.  But Reddick said he stole Beal's "Throw and Go" technique that Beal uses with Gortat, kind of a variation of a pick and roll.  Thought it was really telling that such a seasoned veteran like Reddick was actually learning moves from Brad.  I know Brad's been in the league for awhile but the guy is still only 23.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Durant been disrespecting the media the last 3 years. Durant is a regular dude, but I dont know about this super friendly stuff.

And I have no idea how you can say he isnt "nasty" when he walked into teh Warriors team and became the best player on the team and is arguably having the best individual season in the NBA. (his efficiency is crazy this year)

There is no evidence of anything you are saying except it feels like it comes from media hot takes. 

What you say to the media is irrelevant. Larry Bird was nice in the media, but he also literally gave people inferiority complexes on the court with his trash talk. Yeah, walking onto a team that was already championship-worthy isn't really nasty just because you happen to be more talented than everyone else.

It is not a hot take that he didn't want to deal with the "who will take this last shot" or "who will close" stuff that he did in OKC. That's pretty well-known at this point.

Again, I will not blame a guy for going to get rings in a sport where you are judged as an all-time great on getting rings. And playing with Russell would probably be annoying because he's a chucker like Kobe circa 2006.

Anyway, agree to disagree but it just sounds like you assume I'm dissing KD and I'm not.

Edited by Sticksboi05