Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This team's chemistry is off the charts, and now that they've added some pieces to the bench and Mahinmi is healthy, the roster doesn't really have any weaknesses.  Health and a lack of experience are really their only potential obstacles.  Otherwise this team is loaded and the pieces fit together.  They're good enough to win a championship.

The roster is 11 deep and rich in top end talent.  And the coaching has been terrific.

• Like 1

This team lacks a wing stopper, that's a big weakness when Lebron awaits in the post season and others in addition.  Looking beyond this season, I doubt we'll be able to keep this team together.  The Wizards are going to drive up Bogs asking price with the way he's playing here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Destino said:

This team lacks a wing stopper, that's a big weakness when Lebron awaits in the post season and others in addition.  Looking beyond this season, I doubt we'll be able to keep this team together.  The Wizards are going to drive up Bogs asking price with the way he's playing here. 

Kelly Oubre.  He's not consistent yet, but he's brilliant when he's on.  A true junk yard dog.

You're right that we won't be able to keep the whole team together.  Jennings is a hired gun for the rest of this season.  And we might have to dump Jason Smith to keep Bojan.  The core of the team is in tact for the next few seasons though.  John, Marcin, and Keef all have two more years after this one on their deals.  Mahinmi has three and Beal has four.  We have two more years of team control for both Sato and Oubre before they hit restricted free agency.  And Otto is going to get a five year deal.  Jason Smith has a 1 + 1.

The Wizards are fortunate that they have almost their entire rotation on multiyear contracts and none of them are bad now that Nicholson is gone.  Bojan and the back up PG position are really our only question marks heading into the summer.

As for Bojan's price, I think it's almost certain he'll get the MLE or slightly less.  There are only like 14 teams with significant cap space this summer, whereas the whole league had it last summer.  The middle class of players (of which he falls into) is going to get squeezed.  Remember, the rookie and minimum salary scale went up with the new CBA, and there are new provisions to help teams keep their max players, so their portion of player revenue went up too.  The cap is also projected to come in lower than we expected going into last summer's free agency period.  And there are also a lot of max and near max free agents hitting the market this summer, the teams with significant cap space are going to be chasing them.  That means most teams are only going to have the MLE to offer, so that's what Bojan is looking at.

The days of Reggie Jackson, Mozgov, and Deng getting the kind of money that they did are probably over.

Our real long term challenge is going to be finding the money to keep Oubre, Sato, and Keef, in a year where all three of them + Wall and Gortat expire.  Wall will probably qualify for huge money and obviously we have to pay him whatever it takes to keep him.  That will probably be Gortat's final year in DC unless he takes a pay cut to stay with the team.  Same for Keef, unfortunately.  And who knows how much Sato and Oubre will cost at that point?

• Like 1

I told ya'll bout bogs, man. He is a perfect fit for this team. He was lighting it up in Brooklyn last year, and has the green light from anywhere on the court. He has no fear to put up a shot with a man closing in on him. He's completely locked in at the task at hand, no frills. It's the same kind of shooting fearlessness that guys like Brad have. No, Otto isn't like that, but with Otto you are getting a guy who can do everything and anything on both sides of the court and hits wide open shots with lethal efficiency. Just two days ago we beat GS on an Otto rebound put back. Gotta keep both of them going in to next season. 

Its a small sample size, but I may have to eat crow about Smith not being able to share the court with Mahinmi. He was awesome last night. 

• Like 3

I was watching with my mouth hanging open in the 2nd as our bench EXTENDED the lead.  When was the last time that **** happened? 

And y'all say what you want about Jason Smith.  In 9 minutes last night he had 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and was +16. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I was watching with my mouth hanging open in the 2nd as our bench EXTENDED the lead.  When was the last time that **** happened? 

And y'all say what you want about Jason Smith.  In 9 minutes last night he had 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and was +16. 

For the most part Jason Smith has been getting nothing but praise in this thread since he stopped playing like a fish out of water. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I like Oubre, but he's rarely "on."  He's got potential, but he's HORRID on offense. 

He's a couple years away from being a consistent decent offensive player but he can play D now and that's going to be valuable in April and May.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that with a healthy Mahinmi, we would have beat Cleveland.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This offseason the Wizards will keep Otto and Bojan and go into next year with almost their entire rotation intact.  They'll win 58-60 games and get a one or two seed and John will win MVP.

Reading that just made me feel all warm and fuzzy. 

I'm riding high on my positive predictions from before this year started.  I predicted 52 wins in the preseason and that was the high mark on RealGM.  I looked like a moron over the first month of the season, but now there is actually a really good chance that I was pessimistic.  After this Toronto game on Friday, we don't play another good team until we go to Boston on March 20th.  That's nine straight games against teams who are .500 or lower.  And this is the part of the year where the lottery teams get serious about tanking.  We could rip off a 12 game winning streak if we win tomorrow.  The schedule picks up after Boston, with games against Atlanta, Cleveland, the  Clippers, Jazz, and Warriors all interspersed in that stretch.  We'll take a bunch of losses then, unless those teams are resting players.  But then our final five games are against sub .500 teams, and we'll likely be fighting for the two or three seed, so we'll still be trying to win.

We could go into Boston with 44-46 wins and then split those next 8 games during the tough stretch, and close out the year winning 4 or 5.  55 wins is within reach.  And it might be necessary to get the two or three seed.

Now consider this, think of how much having that built in chemistry from keeping our starting five together from last year (for the first time in forever) helped the starters this season.  They are one of the top line ups in the league.  Now imagine if we have that kind of continuity and extant chemistry throughout our entire rotation heading into next season.  Same coach too.  That's basically how the Raptors were able to win 56 games last year.  We'd be looking at a 60 win team.  It's not crazy because I think we've basically been a 60 win team ever since the team clicked in early December.

And 60 wins is almost a guaranteed one or two seed, in either conference.

And getting a one or two seed means your best player will be a favorite for MVP.  I know I've talked about it a couple times before, but there have only been like four times since the merger that the MVP has come from a team that wasn't a top two seed.  Once was Moses Malone for a four seed Houston Rockets that was one game out of the two seed.  Also this was right after the merger and the norms for the award hadn't been as well codified.  Another time was Julius Irving for a 3 seed 76ers, but they actually tied Boston for the most wins in the league that year.  Same deal for Moses Malone the next year, as the three seed 76ers won the second most games in the league that year.  Then Jordan of course won it in 87-88 on a three seed Chicago team after submitting the greatest individual season by a perimeter player in league history.  And then it hasn't happened since.  Until maybe this year, when Harden or Westbrook appear to be the favorites.  LeBron might still win it though.

Anyway, with Curry and Durant seeming to cancel each other out of the award, and Kawhi not really getting a whole lot of run, John playing for a 60+ win 1 or 2 seed means he'd probably only be competing with LeBron and Harden for the award.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 1:02 PM, RonArtest15 said:

Streaks are made to be broken...nothing wrong with optimism.  Coming off the heels of how they fared in the playoffs the season before, I don't think guessing they'd win 50+ is that outlandish. 

Optimistically, I'm thinking 52 wins this year....that's with optimal health.

Realistically, I'm thinking around 46.

Hmmm....

• Like 2