Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

He did give a few blips about what Lebron did going back to Ohio, somewhat leading the DC area on.  But I'd agree with you that it was pretty clear the offseason before last that he wasn't coming home. 

At the same time, he's still the epitome of a puss.  My kid worshipped the guy, all the shoes/clothes/etc.  He's basically dead to us, not for dissing DC - but for joining the frontrunners.

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

He NEVER strung anyone along or gave any indication that he was going to sign here in DC. 

You're right.  He never wronged us in any way and never acknowledged any desire to play here.  Although he did string OKC fans along IMO.

But this wasn't karma.  Durant never actually hurt anybody and he's a good person.  His decision to leave OKC for GS was beta male and mercenary but it wasn't malicious.  Injuries just happen due to random chance.  Well, they happen to everyone but LeBron, whose bones and connective tissue are apparently made of adamantium.

• Like 2

I didn't say I wished injury. But, yea the idea that something happens when you join a super team to take the easy ride to a championship, is karma. Have you never head of the term " basketball gods" or "football gods"? I'm not sure there has ever been a situation in any sport where a former mvp in his prime chose to join up with a super team like he did. 

And yea, I remember the whole KD DC represent shoes and redskin appearances. That dried up real fast after he went to GS. 

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He did give a few blips about what Lebron did going back to Ohio, somewhat leading the DC area on.  But I'd agree with you that it was pretty clear the offseason before last that he wasn't coming home. 

At the same time, he's still the epitome of a puss.  My kid worshipped the guy, all the shoes/clothes/etc.  He's basically dead to us, not for dissing DC - but for joining the frontrunners.

The way people hate on KD for joining GS, you'd think GS actually won the championship.  

What was he supposed to do, go to a .500 team to prove a point to people that don't matter?

Edited by justice98
  • Like 2

Just now, justice98 said:

The way people hate on KD for joining GS, you'd think GS actually won the championship.  

He probably would have joined the Cavs if it was possible. 

When I say he's dead to us, I really just mean indifferent, as in could care less to even follow him.  I don't hate him, I just think he's a sissy.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, justice98 said:

What was he supposed to do, go to a .500 team to prove a point to people that don't matter?

Lets be honest...the Wiz were the best fit for him.  Pass first elite PG, top-tier former coach, team loaded with young talent that would be poised to take over the East as LeBron aged, long term full max deal, hometown adoration and league-wide respect.

Durant scrapped it all to front-run for a ring and piss off Westbrook.  That's just what it is.

39 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Gortat is such a strong mother ****er that he threw a dude at KG.  All man!

See avatar.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I guess he he could have not joined the winningest regular season team of all time that already had 3 Allstars on the roster. 

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

People hate Goliath.  People hated LeBron too when he made the Miami super team.  The basketball world didn't truly embrace and respect him again until he was back in the Finals again as an underdog in Cleveland.

Players like Durant are special and only come along once in a blue moon.  Out of the thousands of players that will play in the NBA during his career, he is one of the very few who can go down as a legend whose legacy will shape his era.  People want these kinds of players to compete for and win rings on their own terms, as the leader of their own team, not as the mercenary addition to someone other guy's great team.  We want these guys to be the platonic ideal of the competitor and it's a big part of them proving themselves worthy to be considered a legend.  KD going to GS just took a dump on that and showed he's not that kind of competitor and doesn't care about leaving that kind of legacy.  It was disappointing for people like me who believed in him and wanted to see him be remembered as this generation's Larry Bird.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Yes, because that's what men do. Doing what he did proves he has a baby duck(autocorrect). 

And yeah im half joking....but not really. 

BUT, I don't think people get Durant's personality at all, and that misunderstanding is what leads to so much anger.  I know I didn't realize a lot of things about him before he left OKC.  Durant is not the archetypal alpha male NBA leader like LeBron or Kobe or Jordan or Bird.  He doesn't have that kind of ego and doesn't think in that way.  Durant is a very authentic and selfless guy for a super duper star NBA player.  And I think he's more sensitive and thoughtful than his peers and he's a big picture thinker.  I think the basketball world gets frustrated with him for not being an assertive alpha male type but I think his cooperative personality has actually helped and will continue to help him be so successful in his basketball career.  And that's not to say he's not ambitious, because he definitely is.  He's going to win multiple rings and MVP awards and be remembered as one of the most successful players of his era.

And I also think he's got the perfect temperament to be a coach and would like to see him go that route after his playing days are over.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The Wizards were a .500 team last year but the two years prior were clearly on the upswing. And I'd say this season is proving they're the team that swept Toronto more so than the team from last year. Durant didn't want to come here for the exact reason they talked about last night during the game. All his family and friends would be bugging him for tickets and other stuff had he played here. It simply wasn't worth the headache to him. I like KD but he should've at least gave us an interview. Maybe he could've seen this team would be a better fit for him but whatever. 

I made my peace with Durant not choosing us a while ago.  It was clear he wouldn't pick us probably midway through last season.  The comments he made about that shameful video tribute we made to him when OKC played in DC were a huge red flag.  That was an embarrassing blunder.  And Durant was right that it was disrespectful to Wall and Beal.

I wish he had given us the chance to make our pitch, and it's a little insulting that he considered Boston and not us because we're a ****ing way better situation than them.  We actually have a real chance to win in the playoffs.  Same for Horford choosing them over us.  But whatever.  The silver lining is that Wall and Beal are really coming into their own as leaders and that wouldn't have happened if KD had come and taken over our team.  And Otto has blossomed, which also wouldn't have happened if he were coming off the bench.  We're in a good place because Wall and Beal are studs.  I believe they were the best perimeter players in their draft classes and as such, there should come a point during their prime years when they are are among the top two or there players at their positions.

Re: those videos of Bojan and Beal that Brave posted,

Beal's become a pretty good passer.  Him rounding out his offensive skill set and demonstrating an ability to set up teammates and play lead guard when Wall is off the court is a game changer for us.  I'm curious to see how Brandon Jennings can play with both Wall and Beal because, between them, that's three pretty good passers that can generate a lot of gravity in opposing defenses.  And they can push the tempo and wear opponents down over the course of the game.  I think getting him is going to turn out to be a real godsend that should help stabilize the play of the bench.  Like Wall said, his unshakable swagger can really help a second unit that is very young and/or not all that assertive.

On Bojan, my two favorite things about him are his basketball IQ and his cold blooded pressure situation shooting ability.  That video shows a little of both.  Notice how well he moves to space the floor and give his teammates a target.  He is fantastic at getting lost behind a distracted defense and cutting to openings around the basket and quickly flipping situations where the defense has the advantage (loose balls, early sequences during changes of possession, offensive rebounds where the defense has the numbers, etc.) into easy buckets.  He's got great instincts like Otto and is going to really be able to take advantage of all that gravity that Wall and Beal generate.  He's a really good fit for our offense and I really hope we can keep him this summer.

As far as his defense goes, he's a worker and he's big and strong.  Those help him deal with his limitations, namely, poor change of direction ability and lateral speed.  He's the kind of guy that you can mask in a good system with other good defensive players and still field a strong defense.  He's the kind of guy the Spurs have on their bench, and if he had played for them instead of Brooklyn, people wouldn't think he's such a lousy defensive player.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Lets be honest...the Wiz were the best fit for him.  Pass first elite PG, top-tier former coach, team loaded with young talent that would be poised to take over the East as LeBron aged, long term full max deal, hometown adoration and league-wide respect.

With all due respect to the current run of prosperity this season, can you really blame KD (or anybody else) for being skeptical of the Wiz coming into this season?  

But he fit in just fine in GS.  And purposefully having to go through Lebron doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do.

40 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

The Wizards were a .500 team last year but the two years prior were clearly on the upswing. And I'd say this season is proving they're the team that swept Toronto more so than the team from last year. Durant didn't want to come here for the exact reason they talked about last night during the game. All his family and friends would be bugging him for tickets and other stuff had he played here. It simply wasn't worth the headache to him. I like KD but he should've at least gave us an interview. Maybe he could've seen this team would be a better fit for him but whatever. 

They were a 46 win team 2 years ago, after being a 44 win team the year before that.  I wouldn't necessarily say that's "clearly on the upswing".  That's marginal year to year improvement.  If you're KD, and you're base level is conference finals, you don't fool around trying to make a mediocre team good.

I wasnt upset about Durant not coming here. I said he wasnt coming here 4 years ago. I hate the fact that it kills the competitive balance of the league. That was GS's 10th! loss of the season. They were preordained to make it back to the next 2 finals minimum with that roster. Its a chicken little move that hurts the league, on top of it being possibly the lamest move of any professional athlete ever.

And no, Lebron's triplet move with Ray Allen playing the ring chaser cant be forgotten. Unfortunately, last year's win flushed that stain away. But every team with Lebron has a chance and will eventually be loaded because the dude is not human. I swear, dude has played like 39 min a game for the past decade, yet looks almost as athletic as ever.

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They were a 46 win team 2 years ago, after being a 44 win team the year before that.  I wouldn't necessarily say that's "clearly on the upswing".  That's marginal year to year improvement.  If you're KD, and you're base level is conference finals, you don't fool around trying to make a mediocre team good.

And they made it to the second round of the playoffs in back to back years with a very young nucleus of potential star players. I mean, I'm not sure if you're just arguing for the sake of arguing but this will be the third year out of four that they've played pretty damn good basketball. I mean they were a John Wall injury from making the conference finals a short time ago. KD on this team is a championship caliber roster. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

What did you all think about Beal getting run at the point last night?  It obviously shows a lack of trust in Burke, and I hope Jennings can help remedy the bench situation. 

I think it's a natural role for him when Wall is out.  I like seeing him play lead guard even when his handle gets so damn loose because I want him to grow that part of his game.  Like I said before, him becoming a good facilitator is a game changer for our team because it'd give us two high gravity playmakers.  That's one way to go from being a good team to an actual contender.

And I like Brandon Jennings in the role as the back up PG from an Xs and Os standpoint because he's a good passer too.  The second unit needs that because Kelly and Bojan are gunners and Mahinmi and Jason Smith can't create shots.  And Sato isn't ready to be that guy yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

With all due respect to the current run of prosperity this season, can you really blame KD (or anybody else) for being skeptical of the Wiz coming into this season?  

But he fit in just fine in GS.  And purposefully having to go through Lebron doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do.

No, I don't blame him or hold any resentment at all.  But the facts are the facts...KD is front-running and ring-chasing in his 20s.  And you can't really blame anyone for being skeptical of that.

15 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

how many of you would want to have to see Ernie Grunfeld most days you went to work?

Hit me with that MLE and I'm in the office early every day!

• Like 4