Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, Fight4RGIII said:

I just watched Sportscenter's "Sights and Sounds" of the first half of the NBA season with about 5 minutes of highlights and clips. Like 10 Knicks highlights. Wizards shown once, the Lebron game tying 3. That's it.

TV serves the media markets, right?  That's the only way to explain seeing "highlights" for the Lakers (19-39) and the always dysfunctional Knicks (23-34), even when those teams lose the game in which those plays occurred.  The Lakers, for example, can get blown out but the espn recap shows Nick Young hitting a three.  lol

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love that Otto drained four threes in Paul George's face in the first quarter.  Then after George had to close out hard to get him off the three point line he put the ball on the ground and took it to the rim.  He had Paul George off balance all night.

Kid has a high basketball IQ. That was always his things. As he adds more tricks to his bag, he will take advantage of cats like that more and more. 

Our whole squad is pretty damn smart on average, I think. 

• Like 1

Yeah Otto never takes bad shots and he is always in position to make key rebounds and he moves to give his teammates an outlet when they get stuck.  His instincts are off the charts good.

You're right that this is a smart basketball team.  John is a basketball savant and the team is smart enough to keep up with him now.

I'm in an argument with two posters on RealGM who talked about bringing back Nick Young or Jordan Crawford.  That would drop our team BBIQ by like 50 points.  We need to have a strict no clown policy.

Not going to lie I wouldn't have a problem with Crawford here. We need a little ignorant ass scoring off the bench. But I have many more options ahead of him. 

I know. that contradicts everything that we do well right now. But we need someone on that bench that can post numbers. 

• Like 1

No problem at all with Crawford. Never had a problem with the dude. I'd gladly have him on the team. Heck, I'd take 1 extra chicken sandwich coupon over Thornton. Probably have to give House a shot though. Crawford was never a clown. He took issue with a dumbass coach who had no clue what he was doing.

As I recall, Crawford played pretty well in Boston before they chose to build through the draft and bring in Thomas. A good call on their part. 

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Crawford was a clown.  There was no such thing as a terrible shot to Crawford and he got himself cut for starting **** with Beal.  I understand that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but Big Balls sucked and there is a reason he's in the D League now.

Perhaps he's been humbled?  Perhaps he's ready to receive Otto the Redeemer?

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Crawford was a clown.  There was no such thing as a terrible shot to Crawford and he got himself cut for starting **** with Beal.  I understand that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but Big Balls sucked and there is a reason he's in the D League now.

We are talking about a different Crawford lol 

I totally forgot when had the other one here! 

Edit: I was talking about this guy, not his.....cousin? 

Image result

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love that Otto drained four threes in Paul George's face in the first quarter.  Then after George had to close out hard to get him off the three point line he put the ball on the ground and took it to the rim.  He had Paul George off balance all night.

Made your case for not trading Porter for PG, at least that night.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

We are talking about a different Crawford lol 

I totally forgot when had the other one here! 

Jamal is definitely not a clown.  He was a good player and his sixteen season career is impressive.

I honestly think the reason Jordan was able to play so many games in Boston is because he was passing himself off as Jamal and Danny Ainge was confused.  I'm pretty sure that's who Ernie thought he was trading for when he made that deal with Atlanta back in 2010/2011.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Made your case for not trading Porter for PG, at least that night.

After Paul George dropped 30 something on us the day after I made that point.

The question remains an interesting one.  Do you value overall talent or fit more?  Otto is a better fit playing alongside Beal and Wall, but George is a bigger talent.

It was the same dynamic with Jimmy Butler and Beal.  Beal is a way better fit with a PG like John, but Butler is a better overall player.  For now anyway.  That one is easier for me to answer because Beal is almost as good as Butler.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The question remains an interesting one.  Do you value overall talent or fit more?  Otto is a better fit playing alongside Beal and Wall, but George is a bigger talent.

It was the same dynamic with Jimmy Butler and Beal.  Beal is a way better fit with a PG like John, but Butler is a better overall player.  For now anyway.  That one is easier for me to answer because Beal is almost as good as Butler.

I'd have to go back and compare PG's stats to what Otto is doing right now at his age.  Dude hasn't even reached his final form yet, and neither has Panda, so potential has to be factored into this.  Think PG would be used somewhere in the middle of what he's doing now and what Otto is doing if he was here, but Otto's potential once he starts to fill out that frame and match what PG is doing on defense might make the trade a bad idea.  Dad said don't do it last night, and again, that was a helluva dent in the argument for making that trade last night.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Paul George is a much better perimeter defender, and having two very good perimeter defenders would be a major advantage in today's NBA.  I'm not sure he's a bad fit offensively either.  His ability to attack a close out might reduce Walls assist numbers but he's a good enough shooter to experience the Wall effect.  He's never had a team that got him as many easy baskets as the Wizards would.  

Also don't underestimate the advantage of having play makers in the post season.  In addition to adding shot creation, it makes it harder to stash a bad defender for the opposing team.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Paul George is a much better perimeter defender, and having two very good perimeter defenders would be a major advantage in today's NBA.  I'm not sure he's a bad fit offensively either.  His ability to attack a close out might reduce Walls assist numbers but he's a good enough shooter to experience the Wall effect.  He's never had a team that got him as many easy baskets as the Wizards would.  

Also don't underestimate the advantage of having play makers in the post season.  In addition to adding shot creation, it makes it harder to stash a bad defender for the opposing team.  

I'm not sure PG is a much better defender than Otto at this point.  He's got a worse DRPM than Otto this season.  And a worse ORPM for that matter.

Otto is a smarter player than George and a better shooter from every part of the floor.  There is no doubt in my mind that he's a better fit for our offense than George because of his incredible shooting ability and talent for making an impact at a low usage.  When you've got Wall and Beal, you don't need Paul George pounding the ball for a quarter of your possessions.  You make a valid point about needing playmaking in the postseason, but I have enough faith in Wall and Beal to get it done in the postseason, that I don't think we need a third playmaker.  Also, I wouldn't rule out Otto becoming a facilitator down the line.  Georgetown ran their offense through him his sophomore season with good results.

It's settled in my mind--when you factor the difference in age, fit, efficiency, and impending salary, I wouldn't trade Otto for PG straight up.  I think Otto is going to be a flat out better and more successful player than George when all is said and done.  He's not as athletic but he's smarter and more skilled.