Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/morning-tip-if-cream-rises-top-says-kelly-oubre-im-cream

Morning tip: If cream rises to top, says Kelly Oubre, 'I'm the cream'

Recent history suggests that coach Randy Wittman will bring along a rookie like Kelly Oubre slowly, if for no reason other than to make the 19-year old earn his stripes before getting on the court with a veteran team such as the Wizards.

But the 6-7 small forward has been raising eyebrows since training camp opened Tuesday, showing a three-point stroke that was absent during Las Vegas summer league play and an exceptional defensive IQ. And based on how he's talking -- he doesn't spell it out but strongly implies it -- he thinks he'll be a Rookie of the Year candidate. 

"I have a chip on my shoulder even more now because throughout the whole process people were saying they questioned my work ethic so that's why they passed on me in the draft. The Washington Wizards got me and I'm going to make sure they got something that's going to be something serious," Oubre said in a 1-on-1 with CSN's Chris Miller during training camp this week.

"I don't want anybody to question the things that I do or anything. Because I'm going to work, first and foremost. And I'm going to give it my all.

"I fell to 15 in the draft and I really took that hard. After the draft I came straight to D.C. and I was in the gym. That was just pure fire in my heart because I know there's not (14) guys better than me in my class at least. ... The cream rises to the top, and I'm the cream."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I feel like Oubre is going to sit most of the first half of the season. Then something is going to happen and he will be put in on a regular basis and will start to show some promise. Or I may just be optimistic and Randy will just bench him since there's no D-league to send him to.

Im pretty excited about Oubre, but i have some serious concerns that Randy will wait to unleash the potency of our offense until the playoffs (again). Everyone can tout Randy as a great coach, and perhaps he even deserves some credit for improving every year and getting this team to gel. But not playing Otto last year because you couldnt play Pierce at the 4 during the regular season isnt a good excuse. Paul's defense alone was cause enough to play Otto more. There were no excuses to be had for playing Webster/Butler over Otto last year. Benching Gortat during the 4th for a month or more was bad management. Letting Beal take a billion poor shots rather than playing to his strengths is directly on him. This team is a good 6-10 games better if Randy kicks his own mental mistakes. If Oubre has potential, it will show. But i dont see him getting on the court when you have Dudley, Anderon, Neal, ( and possibly Webster/Temple) ahead of him on the depth chart.

Next year Anderson, Neal, Dudley, Gooden, Nene, Temple, Webster, Sessions, and Blair will all most likely be gone. While Beal will certainly be signing for the max, Satoransky will be (finally) coming in to back up Wall, and Humphries will be my pick to be resigned of the bunch. That means very little pt this year, with plans to get him minutes next year. Unless of course, there are mass injuries.

Im pretty excited about Oubre, but i have some serious concerns that Randy will wait to unleash the potency of our offense until the playoffs (again).

I'm not concerned about this at all.

Based off all available info, uptempo is the way we're playing. Period.

Click to read the rest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/marcin-gortat-looking-forward-to-more-small-ball/2015/10/04/e9320fe2-6acd-11e5-9bfe-e59f5e244f92_story.html

Marcin Gortat looking forward to more small ball

When Marcin Gortat agreed to spend the next five years of his career with theWashington Wizards last summer, the affable center understood he was enrolling for an operation incompatible with his skill set. Gortat assumed he would play alongside a traditional big man, in this case Nene, most of the time, and not in anything that resembled the groundbreaking pace-and-space systems he loved performing in with the Orlando Magic and Phoenix Suns.

And he didn’t mind, at least not enough to reject $60 million. The Wizards had been successful in his first year in the District, advancing to the postseason for the first time in six years, and Gortat was a vital component.

But his opinion changed last season. He noticed teams had figured out how to defend him and Nene. Defenders stuffed the interior, stifling guard penetration and torpedoing the frontcourt’s efforts.

“It was just too crowded,” Gortat said.

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/beal-goodbye-long-2s-hello-stepback-3s-and-all-defense

Beal: Goodbye long 2s; hello stepback 3s and All-Defense?

When the Wizards take the floor for the first preseason game Tuesday vs. the Philadelphia 76ers, not only will the entire offense look different but Bradley Beal's shot selection will be under the microscope. His goals are three-fold: Eliminate long two-point shots, add a stepback three-point shot and become an NBA All-Defense team selection.

"I did evaluate it after the season," Beal said of the spots where he took so many shots in averaging 15.3 points.

"Sat down, looked at film, looked at statistics on paper. It just made sense to eliminate those shots. Those are bad shots and as a team that's what we're doing now. We want to eliminate those long 2s as much as possible. Just be aware on the floor. It's going to be hard to say we won't shoot them because there are going to be times when we're going to be open."

In order to do this, Beal has to incorporate more variety into his three-point range from where he made 40.9%. He has to be more than a catch-and-shoot perimeter threat.  

I have been working on my stepback," he said of offseason with Drew Hanlen, a strength and skills coach consultant. "I have been working on my 3s off the dribble this summer."

So has any reporter asked where the real Randy Wittman is? Long two point attempts weren't just a thing Beal did because he wanted to. It was part of the offense. Now suddenly Beal is eliminating those, team is taping off squares for spacing in practice, and Wittman himself is joking about Hump shooting threes?

What the hell is going on here?

• Like 1

So has any reporter asked where the real Randy Wittman is? Long two point attempts weren't just a thing Beal did because he wanted to. It was part of the offense. Now suddenly Beal is eliminating those, team is taping off squares for spacing in practice, and Wittman himself is joking about Hump shooting threes?

I've been thinking the same thing.  :lol:

much like a player, Randy is saying all the right **** in his contract year lol

• Like 2

Reading predictions, etc., don't think Wizards are getting enough credit for offensive overhaul. If legit it's going to be like a new team.

Wizards won 46 games while shooting as many long 2s as the Timberwolves, Knicks, Lakers. If that changes, the offense is going to be better.