Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I wouldn't trade Beal - I like rooting for him. He would be Wall if we kept drafting busts. What I saw in the playoffs was fantastic... I mean, I have dreams of a Kobe/Harden type of stud when I watch him dominate.

Call me delusional, but Wizards need an organic improvement rather than trade a player.

We need another superstar to pair with Wall.  I think Beal COULD get there...but Boogie is cemented as one of the best 5's...if not THE best 5 in the game.  I like Beal, but I'd make that deal in a heartbeat...

If Cousins was the best five in the game, the Kings wouldn't cap out at 20 something wins each year.  Cousins is extremely talented but lazy and destabilizing and Beal is a gamer and a choir boy off the court.  You only add Cousins as the final piece to a team that already has rock solid leadership from multiple sources, otherwise he is going to kill your locker room.  There have been a lot of ugly stories from Sacramento about him getting pissed at the coaches or front office and tanking it on the court and apparently no one likes him there except the owner.  He's just not professional and you can't build a winner with him being one of the foundation pieces.  He needs to be a hired gun last piece for a team that's already really good.

DAldridge has the Wizards taking Looney from UCLA with Harrell from Louisville and Martin from LSU going later.

It is a roll of the dice.. could the Wiz rent David West for a year?

I'm not crazy about drafting Looney.  His draft stock is all over the place, with Chad Ford saying he's a potential top five talent.  Other scouts don't really like him.

Personally, I think he has solid potential but I don't love him.  I think he's kind of passive, doesn't have many offensive skills, and he's got a funny looking build.

But the main thing is he's got a hip injury that might require surgery that could keep him out his entire rookie season.  That seems like a really bad way to start off a career with Randy Wittman.  Otto Porter was a #3 overall pick and billed as one of the most NBA ready prospects in his class and an early injury basically made it so that he didn't solidify his place in our rotation for almost two years...

I think our best pick is a guy that can contribute early and earn Randy's trust right off the bat.

Any consensus on who we want to see drafted tomorrow night?

Seeing alot of love for Bobby Portis online, but seems like we'd have to move up to get him.

Not really consensus from what I can tell.  It's too hard to figure out who might be there.  The first seven or eight picks in the class are pretty well set to be from this group of players:

- Towns

- Okafor

- Russell

- Porzingis

- Winslow

- Mudiay

- Hezonja

- Booker

With maybe Stanley Johnson as a ninth.  One or two might fall out of the top nine picks, but in general, those are going to be the first nine taken.

After that, it's total chaos in the next tier:

- Frank Kaminsky

- Trey Lyles

- Myles Turner

- Portis

- Tyus Jones

- Cameron Payne

- Willie Cauley-Stein

- Kelly Oubre

- Sam Dekker

- Jerian Grant

- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Those guys could go anywhere within the next 11 picks or so.  So Portis could be there when we pick, or he could go 12th.  Who knows?  Only ones I'm pretty sure won't drop far are Cauley-Stein and Turner.  Cauley-Stein is just way too good an athlete to drop and I think his floor could be Indy.  And Turner has enough offensive skill with LaMarcus Aldridge-like height and length that it would be bizarre if he made it out of the lottery.

• Like 1

Hmmm. If Beal were coming out now, as a 21yo senior, I wonder where he would be selected in this deep draft?

Assuming, naturally, that he had a stellar career at Florida.

3rd behind Towns/Okafor. Easily a better prospect than D'Angelo Russell.

If Cousins was the best five in the game, the Kings wouldn't cap out at 20 something wins each year.  Cousins is extremely talented but lazy and destabilizing and Beal is a gamer and a choir boy off the court.  You only add Cousins as the final piece to a team that already has rock solid leadership from multiple sources, otherwise he is going to kill your locker room.  There have been a lot of ugly stories from Sacramento about him getting pissed at the coaches or front office and tanking it on the court and apparently no one likes him there except the owner.  He's just not professional and you can't build a winner with him being one of the foundation pieces.  He needs to be a hired gun last piece for a team that's already really good.

I'm not crazy about drafting Looney.  His draft stock is all over the place, with Chad Ford saying he's a potential top five talent.  Other scouts don't really like him.

Personally, I think he has solid potential but I don't love him.  I think he's kind of passive, doesn't have many offensive skills, and he's got a funny looking build.

But the main thing is he's got a hip injury that might require surgery that could keep him out his entire rookie season.  That seems like a really bad way to start off a career with Randy Wittman.  Otto Porter was a #3 overall pick and billed as one of the most NBA ready prospects in his class and an early injury basically made it so that he didn't solidify his place in our rotation for almost two years...

I think our best pick is a guy that can contribute early and earn Randy's trust right off the bat.

I'm sorry, but Boogie is in a similar situation in Sacramento that Wall was in here in DC.  You know the talent is there, but due to instability on the roster and craziness behind the scenes with the FO, how would you expect the Kings to have a winning product on the floor? 

You have an issue with his effort or disposition, then I'd have a real hard time believing that John Wall wouldn't keep him in line.  They have a great relationship and pairing those two together would be deadly. 

We missed the boat on Harden and it's water under the bridge, but pairing Cousins with Wall is a gamble I'd want to make....even if it takes Beal/Porter. 

*edit*

As far as the draft, unless we trade up to get Portis, I think he goes in the lottery.  Realistically, I think we'll be taking Grant or Looney.  Maybe EG can pull off some sort of a trade to get the team into the lottery to have a chance at someone like Portis/Lyles/Turner. 

Edited by RonArtest15

Call me prisoner of the moment but I'd put Russell ahead of Beal as a prospect. I love Russell's game and think he is going to be very special. His passing game is very underrated and he can score with the best of them.

Rick Pitino said Russell is the best passer he's seen since Magic Johnson. 

AND he can shoot the rock as well....

Should be a lock for #2 (I think he's a superstar in the making).

Curry and Tony Parker are examples of guards that aren't the best athletes but are terrific players (and champions). Super athleticism isn't really a requirement for a good guard and certainly not as valuable as handles, vision, and shooting.

• Like 1

Curry wouldn't be an MVP caliber player if not for his shooting, and Parker wouldn't have been the player he was if he wasn't one of the fastest players in the league. Russell's athleticism is a legit concern for projecting his ceiling. Maybe he won't be a superstar. But I do think he ends up being an All Star. You can't complain about that with a second overall pick.

I'd trade for cousins in a heartbeat.   shooters are way easier to find then legit bigs.   and if EG has a strength its finding wingmen.

As for the draft i'm i'd love Frank the Tank or Portis but I don't think they'll be there.  after that its a crap shoot.   I'd probably lean Looney, grant and then Anderson.

Curry wouldn't be an MVP caliber player if not for his shooting, and Parker wouldn't have been the player he was if he wasn't one of the fastest players in the league. Russell's athleticism is a legit concern for projecting his ceiling. Maybe he won't be a superstar. But I do think he ends up being an All Star. You can't complain about that with a second overall pick.

Chris Paul...Steph Curry...Rondo....

Russell's athleticism is a non-issue.  Like Destino pointed out, handles/vision/shooting will go a long way with him.  He's the goods. 

Parker's quicker than he is fast. Wall is fast. Parker's strength is his ridiculous scoring versatility off the bounce. He has so many shots that he's comfortable with. Spins, tear drops, pull ups...

Parker is a jet.  Might not seem like it now that he got old and fell off a cliff.  But there was a point, not that long ago, when he was the fastest PG in the league.  Not just quick but fast.  Check out this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/analysts-starting-track-fastest-players-nba-150028733.html

They used SportsVU to track the speed of players in those ten arenas and Parker topped out as the fastest at 20.9 MPH.  That's really fast for a basketball court if you think about it.  Usain Bolt's record reached during a sprint is 28 MPH.  Parker can stop and start on a dime too.  And he can run for days.  He's got elite speed.  Not much of a leaper and he's on the short end for the position, but he is also probably the best below the rim finisher in the league.

Russell isn't the shooter that Curry is, nor is he the athlete and finisher that Parker is.  But he is good at both.  He's a better passer than they are.  And he has an advantage of being able to play SG too.  A good kind of tweener.  You don't have to worry as much about his lack of speed or explosion if he's playing the two.  And if the match up at SG is too strong for him, then he can play PG.

Chris Paul...Steph Curry...Rondo....

Russell's athleticism is a non-issue.  Like Destino pointed out, handles/vision/shooting will go a long way with him.  He's the goods. 

Rondo and CP3 used to be jets too.  They are also the superlative passing PGs.  Russell is not the ball handler nor the athlete that they were, nor does he have their feel for running point.  He's a great passing combo guard.  Not a true point.

His athleticism is an issue.  It's something that all the scouts I've read bring up as his biggest limitation.

athleticism is COMPLETELY overblown when discussing a prospect like Russell who excels in so many other areas. 

If athleticism meant anything, Joe Alexander would be a NBA All-Star, many times over. 

Also, how are you going to quantify that Russell isn't as good of a ball handler than Paul/Curry at the same age?  Russell/Paul's TO #s are VERY close (both averaging under 3) , and when Curry was the primary ball-handler at Davidson as a JR, he averaged close to a full TO more than russell (not to mention he was 2 years older). 

• Like 1

Russell was also the highest chance for a bust because of his lack of athleticism.

RA15: check my post again, I said Russell is not the ball handler that Paul and Rondo were (he's not), not Curry. I said he's not the shooter that Curry is, he's not. Also, never said athleticism is everything, that is a straw man you've erected.

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojYahooNBA
Washington has traded for No. 15 and will select Kelly Oubre, sources tell Yahoo.

Brian WindhorstVerified account
‏@WindhorstESPN
Hawks will get 2 future second round picks from Wizards for trading back from 15 to 19

not a bad deal if they really liked Oubre

Edited by StillUnknown