Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Shanahan denies Vincent Jackson trade rumor

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mike-shanahan/shanahan-denies-vincent-jackso.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

The San Diego Chargers have until 4 o'clock Wednesday afternoon to trade Vincent Jackson if the receiver's suspension is to be cut from six games to four. The Redskins have been mentioned as a team that could be interested in Jackson, but according to Coach Mike Shanahan, the team is not pursuing the receiver.

"That's another rumor that comes up, and it's a rumor. There's no credence to it," Shanahan said after practice Wednesday.

Asked if he'd like to the lay the rumor to rest, Shanahan said, "I think I just did."

i thought you were posting in the other thread? why post this here...not that it really bothers me, jw..

Well considering this is FINALLY going to be put to rest, I figured I'd post what came from Coach. No more speculation, and as Coach said he just put any further rumors to rest! F'n media won't leave him alone!

Well there goes any chance of any redzone threat by a wide receiver

So, these are the types of comments I don't personally understand. I don't think many of us are giving the WR's we do have a chance to blossom and become the "typical" redzone WR threat. Granted DT11 is probably the tallest cat we have, but they all need playing time to get used to: 1. Donavan 2. The new WC offense Kyle runs. 3. Who is our "true" top 2 receivers are going to be.

And by the way, haven't we spent enough time over "playmakers" in the past? It's time for us to groom our own playmakers.

Look at point #3 especially. IMO, I honestly think that what we are seeing right now at all offensive positions is a design by the coaching staff to get each player good game experience (hence the swapping on the OL, etc.). I've been thinking this since Coach made his first comments to the media about the leaks of practices. Why would he want to give any type of strategy or looks away unecessarily? Keep in mind we have played 2 games... 2! I don't think this is a new approach this week about working on the run game, as a matter of fact I think we will see the next 2 games being a heavy dose of CP/KW/MS. Although the Eagles game could change my theory with what's happened in recent events. We know what type of receiving threat we can be now, so why not work on getting the run game up to the same level?

Just a few thoughts I've been pondering, and I'll be curious to see what your responses are...

Per ESPN...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604433

Jackson's original five-year contract expired after last season. But because this is an uncapped year, he would have needed six seasons to become an unrestricted free agent.

Unhappy over not receiving a long-term deal in the offseason, Jackson refused to sign the one-year, $3.268 million contract he was tendered as a restricted free agent. When he and holdout left tackle Marcus McNeill didn't sign their tenders by June 15, the Chargers were entitled to offer them 110 percent of their 2009 salaries, essentially cutting $2.5 million off the tenders. If either reports this year, it would be for the final six games in order to accrue a season toward unrestricted free agency.

VJ was hosed big time. Hopefully the league will intervene after a deal gets done before the October 19 Trade deadline.

Basically AJ is getting a six year deal for a five year contract I think he had an inerrant right to reneogotiate in good faith or trade VJ and not use the fact that it was an uncapped year to his advantage.

A.J Smith (the Lord of no rings) was a real jerk in this case..IMHO. Enjoy Norv A.J.!

Per ESPN...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604433

Jackson's original five-year contract expired after last season. But because this is an uncapped year, he would have needed six seasons to become an unrestricted free agent.

Unhappy over not receiving a long-term deal in the offseason, Jackson refused to sign the one-year, $3.268 million contract he was tendered as a restricted free agent. When he and holdout left tackle Marcus McNeill didn't sign their tenders by June 15, the Chargers were entitled to offer them 110 percent of their 2009 salaries, essentially cutting $2.5 million off the tenders. If either reports this year, it would be for the final six games in order to accrue a season toward unrestricted free agency.

VJ was hosed big time. Hopefully the league will intervene after a deal gets done before the October 19 Trade deadline.

Basically AJ is getting a six year deal for a five year contract I think he had an inerrant right to reneogotiate in good faith or trade VJ and not use the fact that it was an uncapped year to his advantage.

A.J Smith (the Lord of no rings) was a real jerk in this case..IMHO. Enjoy Norv A.J.!

I don't like it when players complain that a franchise is using all options available to it as agreed upon between their players union and the owners. If they don't like the rules in place regarding the uncapped season, they should be angry at their players union who agreed to it.

That being said, when a guy has produced for you, shows no signs of regressing and his contract was set to expire anyway, you should do the right thing and extend his contract. I understood what Allen was doing here with all of our players considering none of them have done anything of note, have been on losing teams the last couple years and have not proven they'll be productive members of Mike Shanahan's Washington Redskins. It makes sense that we should exercise the option agreed upon by the NFLPA and Owners and tender them since a lot is up in the air. However, with Vincent Jackson very little was up in the air. For guys like Mcintosh and Rogers, it's simple, show us you can be productive members on this team with this coaching staff and you'll get paid. You've only been contributing members on a horrid squad before, so let's see if you can produce and contribute on a squad that can win.

But you can't say that to Vincent Jackson. He's produced under Norv, has shown no signs of regressing, has been durable and is still young. AJ Smith is totally in the wrong here.

i can understand that, first things first.Get the online fixed first and then everything else can truely be evaluated.Mankins of the Patriots would be a great pick up.While im prefer olineman that have more wieght he is a pro bowler that can move quickly and thus fits he zone blocking scheme much better than dockery.Does anyone know how quick and agile of foot Hicks is? i would assumwe that they are pleased beause they picked him and brought him in.We need to upgrade our oline.if they can make a couple of trades for at least a guard and a center then this thing can begin the work to come together.Then maybe by the end of the year this teams oline will be taken care of and they can move on to other parts like lb, fs and wr as well as oline depth and rb.even the qb of the future would be a good thought.i have faith in the Allen Shanahan duo and i wonder if they plan on either just work with what they have or are they willing to make the move for someone like Mankins?.HTTR

i can understand that, first things first.Get the online fixed first and then everything else can truely be evaluated.

Probably going to be the M.O. for the next few years when it comes to the draft and free agency.

Mankins of the Patriots would be a great pick up.While im prefer olineman that have more wieght he is a pro bowler that can move quickly and thus fits he zone blocking scheme much better than dockery.

Mankins has played in a man to man system his entire career in NE. Not sure if he has the skill set needed to be in this system. Either way, he will be one of the top OL in the free agency market.

Does anyone know how quick and agile of foot Hicks is? i would assumwe that they are pleased beause they picked him and brought him in.

Hicks played in a ZBS while he was in Minny and played multiple positions. For a team rebuilding their OL, the signing of Hicks couldn't have been better.

We need to upgrade our oline.if they can make a couple of trades for at least a guard and a center then this thing can begin the work to come together.Then maybe by the end of the year this teams oline will be taken care of and they can move on to other parts like lb, fs and wr as well as oline depth and rb.even the qb of the future would be a good thought.i have faith in the Allen Shanahan duo and i wonder if they plan on either just work with what they have or are they willing to make the move for someone like Mankins?.HTTR

Huh? He will be a UFA next year and won't cost the Skins a draft pick at all. He should be one of the teams top priorities in FA next year.

Are you sure ?, because I read this on the web : "Cole also explains that Jackson has a potential weapon to employ against the Chargers' apparent fallback plan of squatting on Jackson's rights all year, letting him leave as an unrestricted free agent, and collecting a third-round compensatory draft pick in 2012. If Jackson's free-agent deal in 2011 is structured with low first-year compensation, the Chargers would face the reality of collecting a lower compensatory pick." PFT

"For example, sources say Jackson’s agents will attempt to get back at Smith by making sure their receiver, once he ends up with a new team next spring (or later, depending upon the uncertain labor landscape), has an inordinately low base salary for 2011 – which would likely reduce the compensatory pick the Chargers would receive for losing Jackson from a potential third-rounder to a sixth- or seventh-round selection."

Link

Archived