Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Shanahan denies Vincent Jackson trade rumor

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

Thank god. We need to keep our draft picks and stop trading them away ala Vinny

Agreed. I think we have a good team, but we do have some holes to fill, and to do it the right way would be to fill them w/ draft picks. Vincent Jackson would have been an upgrade @ WR, @ the rigth contract, but he wasn't worth what the Chargers wanted.

Are you sure ?, because I read this on the web : "Cole also explains that Jackson has a potential weapon to employ against the Chargers' apparent fallback plan of squatting on Jackson's rights all year, letting him leave as an unrestricted free agent, and collecting a third-round compensatory draft pick in 2012. If Jackson's free-agent deal in 2011 is structured with low first-year compensation, the Chargers would face the reality of collecting a lower compensatory pick." PFT

"For example, sources say Jackson’s agents will attempt to get back at Smith by making sure their receiver, once he ends up with a new team next spring (or later, depending upon the uncertain labor landscape), has an inordinately low base salary for 2011 – which would likely reduce the compensatory pick the Chargers would receive for losing Jackson from a potential third-rounder to a sixth- or seventh-round selection."

Link

A compensatory pick would not come from the team signing an UFA. The picks are awarded by the league and come at the end of the 3rd, 6th and 7th rounds.

So the Skins would not have to give up a pick. ( hence the term Unrestricted Free Agent)

According to Jay Glazer yesterday on NFL Total Access, the Chargers were being adamant on what they want for Vincent Jackson and were not budging. They want a 2nd and at least a 3rd next year. That's ridiculous. Jay said that teams asked them to look at a player on their team and they simply refused, sticking to what they want.

Would he ever say, "yes, we are interested in trading for him"?

I think this line of thinking is funny... he could easily say "we explore all options as a franchise when any player is available" easily. He doesn't have to deny it outright at all. He may be lying, but that's speculation and there's no reason to assume he is.

I too watched the press conference, and to me it looked like he wanted to skip over it really fast.

I could understand not wanting to touch on it, might bring some disention in with the other WR's, or it could be that they still have some long range plans.

And if its just a rumor, why didnt he shoot it down last week ???

He was asked about it it and said the team is always looking to upgrade a position.

Remember, Vjax can still be traded, he is just going to miss a couple more games.

Gives the FO more time to trade AH, and get some draft picks.

Archived