Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Like Getting "The Wave" For Driving Decisions Made By Someone Else?

Hubbs

A related annoyance...not so much the old lady because she probably couldn't help it, but what really irks me are people who get into their cars knowing a car is idling there waiting to pull into their spot, and they take their sweet damn time pulling out. They adjust their mirrors, double check their packages to make sure they didn't leave anything in the store, run an 8 point auto-safety check, poke around in their purse looking for their keys, readjust their mirrors, turn the car on, search for a radio station. check their mirrors one more time, and then finally pull out at zero point zero zero two MPH. Then the passive-aggessive jerks act like they don't see you as they pull away.

You should have gotten out of the car and fought him

About 4 years ago I was sitting at a traffic light in McLean, VA...if you know the toilet bowl building, you know exactly where I was.

I was the 2nd car in line. Light turned green, the guy in front of me didn't go. I waited a second, politely beeped my horn and he still didn't go. Beeped again...still nothing. I couldn't go around him in the other lane since there was a steady stream of cars going through the intersection in the left lane.

I LAID on my horn. Held it down for a good 5-10 seconds. Still nothing. Light turned red...I was pissed.

This little skinny guy in his late 40's gets out of his car, starts walking toward me, he was heated. My window was rolled down and he starts yelling at me...had some accent but I couldn't tell what it was. "I GO WHEN I WANT! I MAKE THE DECISIONS!!" I started laughing pretty hard and he fumed back to his car.

For a second there, I thought I was gonna have a fight on my hands, though.

I'll tell you the one that kills me. I drive between GW parkway and Georgia Ave on my way home from work everyday on the Beltway. Now, at the 270 split, there are 3 lanes for 270 traffic, 3 lanes for 495 traffic. Usually, the 3 270 lanes are backed up a lot worse than the 495 lanes. This leads to a situation where EVERY SINGLE ****ING DAY I watch a dozen people roll along at 15mph in the left of the 3 495 lanes, trying to jump ahead of everybody and merge into the 270 traffic. Drives me nuts. Get in line or find a way to merge at speed. When I'm feeling especially angry on a given day I'll ride that left lane of 495 traffic and just lay on the horn for anyone who tries to slow down traffic so they can cut ahead of the rest of the 270 traffic. I know it's not illegal but god damn, could you be more selfish and less courteous of the rest of the driver's around you? If you ever hear about a gun fight at the 270 split due to merging problems on the news, it will probably be me. :ols:

As far as the wave thing goes, I don't see a problem in that situation.

Another situation where I frequently see the wave is on my commute every morning into work. Where traffic merges from 3 lanes into a one lane on-ramp onto rte 66. Most people merge reasonably alternating, however there are those that zip up and cut in at the last second. When I let someone merge over in front of me, the wave is appreciated. When some douchebag zips up and cuts over at the last second (cutting across solid lane lines at that point) forcing his way even when I haven't opened a space for him, his wave (when given) is usually met with the finger.

About 4 years ago I was sitting at a traffic light in McLean, VA...if you know the toilet bowl building, you know exactly where I was.

I was the 2nd car in line. Light turned green, the guy in front of me didn't go. I waited a second, politely beeped my horn and he still didn't go. Beeped again...still nothing. I couldn't go around him in the other lane since there was a steady stream of cars going through the intersection in the left lane.

I LAID on my horn. Held it down for a good 5-10 seconds. Still nothing. Light turned red...I was pissed.

This little skinny guy in his late 40's gets out of his car, starts walking toward me, he was heated. My window was rolled down and he starts yelling at me...had some accent but I couldn't tell what it was. "I GO WHEN I WANT! I MAKE THE DECISIONS!!" I started laughing pretty hard and he fumed back to his car.

For a second there, I thought I was gonna have a fight on my hands, though.

So you basically allowed some old, skinny dude to punk you?

Archived