Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Christian Ponder is the perfect Shanahan QB

gutlead74

To bad Ponder got injured in tonights game. However, from what I saw his performance in the first quarter and a half was not that good. The way I look at it I am not sold on Locker or Ponder. I did not see much of Colin Kaepernick from Nevada plus he was injured when they played Boise State in the Bowl game. That brings us to Ricky Stanzi according to CBS Sports Line he is projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round I really like the kid and I think with some good hard work and a few years under his belt he could be a Star in the NFL. However, IMHO, I think we should pass on drafting a QB this year get a true center and a noise gaurd and continue to build our offensive line.

Link to CBS Sports Line Draft Board: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_QB

To bad Ponder got injured in tonights game. However, from what I saw his performance in the first quarter and a half was not that good. The way I look at it I am not sold on Locker or Ponder. I did not see much of Colin Kaepernick from Nevada plus he was injured when they played Boise State in the Bowl game. That brings us to Ricky Stanzi according to CBS Sports Line he is projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round I really like the kid and I think with some good hard work and a few years under his belt he could be a Star in the NFL. However, IMHO, I think we should pass on drafting a QB this year get a true center and a noise gaurd and continue to build our offensive line.

Link to CBS Sports Line Draft Board: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_QB

Huh?

Kaepernick led Nevada to a win over Boise this year....

Locker is much more talented. Ponder looked like dead weight. When they did let him throw he was erratic. He blew an absolute gimme chip shot 5 yard pass for a td. Simple bootleg pass. Great call good blocking and a wide open back ready to walk in for a score. I seriously doubt that would qualify as a good fit for our offense.

Which pick do we spend on Ponder, or any other QB? We have a first, second. 5th, 6th and 2 - 7th round picks. Picking around number 12, in the first round you have a choice of picking up the best center or the best guard or the best nose tackle or the second best wide receiver, but at this point in the draft you're only going to get the 4th or 5th best quarterback. Around pick 44 (2nd round, assuming picking 12th) you'll get the 6th or 7th best quarterback or the second best guard or center, or a top 5 wide receiver, or the third or 4th best outside linebacker.

This is the worst possible example of picking for need. Even for a guy who wants to pick for need the thought of spending your first round pick on a 5th or 6th best qb ranks high among the boneheaded. Trading up is mortgaging the future. Drafting a QB in the later rounds to develop is precisely what you already did when the Skins got Beck. Why would anybody bring in another developmental QB after you just finished developing one? Are you training QB's for other teams? Just more boneheaded ideas.

If you didn't take care of it in free agency, draft a great offensive lineman or a great wide receiver to complement Moss. Give one of your QB's some tools to work with and quit looking for greener grass on the other side of the fence. When you have draft picks to spare, then waste whatever you want. But for now, keep your draft picks, build a team and leave the QB position alone.

True. Didn't realize he was 6'6. Why are average guys like Ponder and Locker graded so much higher than guys like Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor??

Size is a big factor with Tyrod he's not the biggest or tallest QB with Kaerpernick people have issues with the offensive scheme he runs and he doesn't have the best arm strength and I'm not much of a fan of his arm motion, it just looks very quirky. The other difference is that Locker and Ponder run somewhat pro style offenses. Locker ran more of a spread against Nebraska but I've seen games where they run predominantly pro style looks with a few spread options in the game

+1

Not only that, I was never really impressed with the guy anyway. He isn't all that great of a QB in college plus he's all banged up. Definite pass

I started to get on his bandwagon because I'm a seminole fan but after seeing his body of work I don't really get the sense that he'll be some great quarterback in the NFL. If the coaching staff decides to get him though I wouldn't throw a huge fit because they would see something that we obviously do not, but still if it were up to me I'd definitely be looking elsewhere.

Who do you like if they can't pull off the impossible and get Luck? What do you think of Potts? How about Mallett?

• 1 month later...

ha.

Ponders Party

Pack of Ponder

the Ponder Partnership

Ponders Pals

Pick a Peck of Pickled Ponders

Obviously, I'm no scout.. Something about this dude, though, stood out to me..

I'm guessing he's a reach at 10... at the moment..

alot can happen..

here's a crazy scenerio:

Ponder gets hyped. Skins send McNabb to Cardinals & draft CP @ 5 :D

^ or grab ___ @ 5 & pickup whichever qb falls

edit: this is fun

The hyperbole of being a 'perfect fit' aside.

I would have said no Ponder isn't a fit for Shanahan's offense because if you look at Mike Shanahan's Denver offenses the QBs had big arms guys that and could really move.

But after watching a season of Kyle's Houston version of Mike's offense I think a QB like Ponder could work.

Archived