Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Christian Ponder is the perfect Shanahan QB

gutlead74

The offense last year was predicated on the strength of the team and that was not the running game. Year one of teaching their version of the ZBS to an over the hill center, a power blocking LG, a journeyman RG, a rookie LT and a RT coming off of hip surgery doesn't bode well for a Shanahan style offense. Kyle's playcalling in Houston was heavily slanted towards airing it out because their OL was much better at pass blocking than run blocking, even with Gibbs there as their ZBS guru. Not to mention when you have Andre Johnson as your best offensive weapon and a litany of under achieving and oft injured RB's.]

OC's that like to run-run those that like to pass- pass.

And our ypc this year wasn't bad we just didn't try.

You can try to explain it away anyway you want.

But the fact that Kyle's offense has a 57.24/42.7 pass/run ratio vs Mike's close to 51.8/48.6 represents a big difference in playcalling tendencies.

And if you want a true and accurate depiction of how Shanahan's offense works and how it wins much more often when he runs the ball more, see: http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?315837-Reconcilement-of-the-Shanahan-s-offenses-through-the-numbers-and-outcomes

I appreciate you making my point.

That link shows the Mike Shanahan offense vs the Kyle Shanahan offense.

You're probably wondering what Kyle's was this year?

651 pass attempts (sacks included) 605 w/o sacks to 349 rushing attempts.

That's a run-pass ratio of approximately 65-35/60-34 w/o sacks.

While I don't think Christian Ponder will be a first round pick, he just very well might be the steal of the entire draft for whichever team selects him in the later rounds. Jake Locker will be drafted after Blaine Gabbart and Cam Newton. But Ponder, I reckon, will be the best pro QB out of all of them. He's worth a pick in the second round.

personally i dont think any qb is worth a pick in the 2nd round. if you weren't confident enough to take him in the first, and neither were 31 other teams, than theres a reason for that. and history only further proves that point.

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2011/01/the_lack_of_success_of_secondr.php

• 1 month later...

Archived