Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Deangelo Hall pick was great, but I have one issue with the play.

Sweet Sassy Molassy

I know it was an INT, and good for us. But after seeing the replay I saw one problem that I expect to see exploited by a better QB.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a10c08/Hall-picks-off-Sanchez

If you watch the replay on NFL.com they show an aerial view and you'll be able to plainly see that Reed Doughty leaves his assignment (Braylon Edwards) to go after the ballm which Hall was already doing. Now in this case it wasn't an issue as Hall made the pick and he was there to help block down field. But any QB that pays better attention than Sanchez will see this and undoubtedly use it against us.

If the QB were to pump fake in that situation and both guys leave their assignment all that has to happen is the QB just needs to put the ball right over the top to the WR running the post and he's got a wide open TD.

I think Hall made the right decision going for the pick as he had help with Doughty. But with Keller running an out route and Edwards running a post over top the out, I can see that getting us at times during the season if it's not corrected earlier. Also considering Doughty's speed (or lack thereof) would make it tough for him to recover in such a situation.

Hard to tell. Reed appears to me to read the same thing as Hall. Hall releases his man because he knows he has safety help. Reed starts to release his man (same player Hall released) when Sanchez starts to throw the pass. It doesn't appear Reed did anything wrong.

Also must consider that the QB only has so much time to throw. Every once in a while Hall is going to get burned, but that is the price you pay for more turnovers. He is not the only CB to do this.

So.... you're saying it's an issue he was running toward the ball? I don't see that as a problem!

I think he is trying to say that if an elite QB, like Manning, Brees, etc. had read the play and saw Reed looking at the ball and pump faked to the receiver Hall was covering, Reed would have bit on the pump fake and gotten froze, leaving his assignment wide open for an easy pass.

He's probably right. Landry bit all last year in the free safety spot, primarily because he's a strong safety by nature/instinct, but still, it happened.

If I am understanding you correctly, couldn't it just be a case where both Hall and Doughty noticed Sanchez staring down the WR?

Honestly you could be right. Also in all fairness, I don't know if the ball was out of Sanchez's hand when Doughty followed, it's hard to tell from the video. But I remember watching the game last night (I DVR'd it) and replaying it and being concerned that Doughty left his man completely uncovered which could have been used against him. It wasn't but I wouldn't be surprised to see that same type of play be used by the Colts and Peyton burning us for it.

Again, I could be totally wrong as I don't really know anything more than what I saw on TV/the internet, but it did make me raise my eyebrow and wonder if he was just doing the right thing and going after the ball or if he was playing too aggressive and leaving his assignment unattended.

I think he is trying to say that if an elite QB, like Manning, Brees, etc. had read the play and saw Reed looking at the ball and pump faked to the receiver Hall was covering, Reed would have bit on the pump fake and gotten froze, leaving his assignment wide open for an easy pass.

I hear that... but he didn't actually make a mistake, is my point. He was diong what he was told to do... go for the ball. If he made a mistake, that's something else, and we should pick on him. The beginning of the night... they were picking on Reed on EVERY throw. Reed got into a little rhythm and eventually found a groove. I'm not saying he was phenominal, but he wasn't terrible after the first few throws his way.

I undrstnd wht the OP is sayin but i disagree bcuz if u look at the replay, Sanchez is a half second away from being sacked by AC. He drove the right tackle into the backfield & was jus gettin off the block. Anothr split second & it still wouldve been a big play for the defense.

The DBs kno that the QB has to get rid of the ball so IMO it was a good gamble by Hall. Also, Reed does not leave the receiver til aftr Sanchez releases the ball. It was an easy read for 2 veteran players as Sanchez stared down his receiver.

I hear that... but he didn't actually make a mistake, is my point. He was diong what he was told to do... go for the ball. If he made a mistake, that's something else, and we should pick on him. The beginning of the night... they were picking on Reed on EVERY throw. Reed got into a little rhythm and eventually found a groove. I'm not saying he was phenominal, but he wasn't terrible after the first few throws his way.

You say he didn't make a mistake, then you turn around and contradict that statement. Like I've already said, I don't know for sure if he made a mistake. But it did make me take note after seeing the play. Also when you consider we were running Cover 2 zone and Hall's zone assignment is that intermediate sideline area, which he covered correctly (in my estimation) and Doughty's zone is the deep middle/sideline area depending on the route run by the receiver. It seems to me that Doughty should stay back and make sure the ball doesn't happen to go to the WR who's running a post over the coverage.

I'm not trying to nitpick, maybe I am, but without having all of the info I figured it was something that's worth noting and discussing as it's not like we weren't burned by that exact type of safety play last season

You say he didn't make a mistake, then you turn around and contradict that statement.

I didn't contradict myself. On that throw, he didn't make a mistake. Period. He jumped a route after the ball was released. I said, from the beginning, knowing Moore was out, that the Jets were picking on him, not that he was a problem. Again, he isn't the best safety out there, but he DIDN'T make a mistake. Why crucify the guy for nothing?

I didn't contradict myself. On that throw, he didn't make a mistake. Period. He jumped a route after the ball was released. I said, from the beginning, knowing Moore was out, that the Jets were picking on him, not that he was a problem. Again, he isn't the best safety out there, but he DIDN'T make a mistake. Why crucify the guy for nothing?

I'm not crucifying the guy, don't take it that way. I'm merely dissecting the play, to me it looked like he started downfield before the ball was thrown so I decided to bring the discussion here to see if anyone sees it similarly. Where I said that you contradicted yourself, in your post you stated rather definitively that he didn't make a mistake, but in the second sentence you said "if he made a mistake" which seems to go against the definitive statement that was my point. As I've already said, I don't know for sure that it was a mistake by Doughty, I'm not saying that he should be burned at the stake either. It's my observation, and I figured good fodder for discussion on a rather slow day.

If anything, Doughty was only slightly early in leaving his man. I do know, however, that Sanchez is a qb whose hands are big enough that he can do a complete passing motion pump fake. So if he would have pumped, I think there would have been a good chance of a TD. It's hard to tell though.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I think Doughty would have been okay on that play if he bit a little. Sanchez would have had to make a fantastic throw.

Hall will give up plays, but he'll make big plays too. You gotta take the good with the bad, although this preseason it's been almost all good from our CBs.

He'll let some big plays go, like we've had Redskins teams do in the past, with the bend but don't break theme. We were never a threat to create turnovers in the past though, so I'm liking how it seems we might be able to start expecting big plays rather than just holding a team to 3.

I see what you're saying SSW, and he either left his man a fraction of a second early (it's hard to even tell in slo-mo), or he made a perfect decision and left right after the ball was out. It looked like, right before the ball was out, Doughty was standing directly in front of Edwards, and a pass to him would have had to be perfect to connect without Doughty at least knocking it down.

I'm sure Haslett knows the difference since it's his scheme, and Doughty will be rewarded/chastised appropriately.

I think Hall's play was perfect.

EDIT: and what happenned to Hershey Pork? You decided to go back?

Archived