Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Deangelo Hall pick was great, but I have one issue with the play.

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Frankly, I don't see it. It seems to me like Doughty plants his feet right as Sanchez's arm is ****ed back and about to make the throw but he doesn't actually commit until it's clear that the ball is on its way. Hell, he even moves directly in front of Edwards en route to the flat. I'd say he played it pretty well and the only way a QB burns us on that kind of play is if we give the receivers ample time to find a vacant spot in the back of the end zone.

This is when you have nothing better to do with your time.

Sweet, sweet irony.

Agreed it was very hard to tell when Doughty left his man.....

I agree as far as being worried that we're going to get burned deep if our safeties leave their post too early, and that the 1/10 of a second might make the difference between winning an losing. So far though, I think they've been pretty good at stopping the long play (pass play anyways). Hopefully that keeps up and Doughty made the right decision.

I'm more concerned with our inability to stop the run so far.

I called you Hershey Pork, but it's true, I always thought of you as SSM. :pfft:

I know it was an INT, and good for us. But after seeing the replay I saw one problem that I expect to see exploited by a better QB.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a10c08/Hall-picks-off-Sanchez

If you watch the replay on NFL.com they show an aerial view and you'll be able to plainly see that Reed Doughty leaves his assignment (Braylon Edwards) to go after the ballm which Hall was already doing. Now in this case it wasn't an issue as Hall made the pick and he was there to help block down field. But any QB that pays better attention than Sanchez will see this and undoubtedly use it against us.

If the QB were to pump fake in that situation and both guys leave their assignment all that has to happen is the QB just needs to put the ball right over the top to the WR running the post and he's got a wide open TD.

I think Hall made the right decision going for the pick as he had help with Doughty. But with Keller running an out route and Edwards running a post over top the out, I can see that getting us at times during the season if it's not corrected earlier. Also considering Doughty's speed (or lack thereof) would make it tough for him to recover in such a situation.

Noone left their assignment because they were playing zone. It was the classic bait and switch move that all secondaries run. The reason you can second guess the results is because our secondary baited Sanchez to throw. It was all planned so if you didnt know it was planned you'd think they were simply gambling, but they knew he would throw it there. ;)

I'm very impressed with Hall's ability to read and react in this defense.

Noone left their assignment because they were playing zone. It was the classic bait and switch move that all secondaries run. The reason you can second guess the results is because our secondary baited Sanchez to throw. It was all planned so if you didnt know it was planned you'd think they were simply gambling, but they knew he would throw it there. ;)

I'm very impressed with Hall's ability to read and react in this defense.

I think you missed SSM's point. I can assure you he knows that was zone coverage and he certainly wasn't questioning Hall's play on the ball. He merely expressed concern about possible exploits of that coverage if the safety (Doughty in this case) plays too aggressively.

If you watch the replay on NFL.com they show an aerial view and you'll be able to plainly see that Reed Doughty leaves his assignment (Braylon Edwards) to go after the ballm which Hall was already doing.

No worries bro, Reed was reacting to the ball after its thrown, which is what safeties are usually taught to do, to prevent from getting beat with a pump fake or *ahem Landry* double move.

I think you missed SSM's point. I can assure you he knows that was zone coverage and he certainly wasn't questioning Hall's play on the ball. He merely expressed concern about possible exploits of that coverage if the safety (Doughty in this case) plays too aggressively.

That's irrelevant based on the coverage we were in. The safety didn't play too aggressively on the play, and if he did he still cut in front of Edwards in order to wall him off. It was a good play by Hall and Doughty did nothing wrong. It was an end zone play, Doughty also has the back of the end zone as an extra defender.

That's irrelevant based on the coverage we were in. The safety didn't play too aggressively on the play, and if he did he still cut in front of Edwards in order to wall him off. It was a good play by Hall and Doughty did nothing wrong. It was an end zone play, Doughty also has the back of the end zone as an extra defender.

If you look at my post before the one you quoted you'd see that I more or less agreed with this assessment already. I just wanted to try and clarify what SSM's concern was since I'm pretty sure that guy wasn't getting it.

Archived