Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

..... Ha! Yeah, you're right...boasting about Gerrard but not about England against Moldova. I misunderstood.

Nope, you didn't. And again, he wasn't. I just like to point out Asiatic's delusion's. :)

Even more fun as I don't care in the slightest about England. But hey, what would a guy as experienced as Roy Hodgson know about football tactics and **** .....

---------- Post added September-8th-2012 at 09:09 AM ----------

..... Coates still has to improve for me....he is "goofy big" and is terrible in space, more than most center backs.....

He's actually been quite impressive in the limited first team outings he's had since he arrived at Anfield. Comfortable on the ball, pacey, strong in the tackle. No question he's still raw and developing, but I really hope he starts to push through this year and gets more games.

With Agger a consistent injury worry, Skrtel a consistent liability, and Carragher all but done at this level, L'pool desperately need the likes of Coates and Wilson to really step up and start pushing through.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Ha! Yeah, you're right...boasting about Gerrard but not about England against Moldova. I misunderstood.

exactly. Its what he has to cling to now since Gerrard has had a horrible start under Rodgers where all his central midfield deficiencies has shown through.

How is Abel Hernandez getting along. I really like that guy, he reminds me of a not as good Thierry Henry. Why wont Tabarez give him more matches? Also, was Tabarez still persisting with Forlan?

exactly. Its what he has to cling to now since Gerrard has had a horrible start under Rodgers where all his central midfield deficiencies has shown through.

Uh-oh. Here we go again. :)

How is Abel Hernandez getting along. I really like that guy, he reminds me of a not as good Thierry Henry. Why wont Tabarez give him more matches? Also, was Tabarez still persisting with Forlan?

I wouldn't put him in Henry's class but I definitely like him, ESPECIALLY since Cavani has been absolutely horrible for a long time now. Abel is a solid player, consistent, athletic, hungry...one of the few bright spots on the London 2012 campaign was when he came in against GBR pressured the ball, stole it from behind and created a scoring chance all by himself thus showing more "fight" in one play than many did in 3....Tabarez has to give him a shot, he has to play with Suarez who really only needs a consistent setup man to get off. Abel needs to play with Suarez against Ecuador.

Problem is, he's obviously not on Tabarez's radar....he just won't put him in. Cavani was screaming to get subbed yesterday and nothing...I just don't know what's up there.

Forlan's Golden Boot has earned him some cred but yeah, he's been disappointing for a while now and he's playing in the Brazilian league so his time at starter is coming to an end. I'd definitely keep him on the team though, he's got too much class.

Edited by Rodriggo

I wouldn't put him in Henry's class but I definitely like him, ESPECIALLY since Cavani has been absolutely horrible for a long time now. Abel is a solid player, consistent, athletic, hungry...one of the few bright spots on the London 2012 campaign was when he came in against GBR pressured the ball, stole it from behind and created a scoring chance all by himself thus showing more "fight" in one play than many did in 3....Tabarez has to give him a shot, he has to play with Suarez who really only needs a consistent setup man to get off. Abel needs to play with Suarez against Ecuador.

Problem is, he's obviously not on Tabarez's radar....he just won't put him in. Cavani was screaming to get subbed yesterday and nothing...I just don't know what's up there.

Forlan's Golden Boot has earned him some cred but yeah, he's been disappointing for a while now and he's playing in the Brazilian league so his time at starter is coming to an end. I'd definitely keep him on the team though, he's got too much class.

Forlan was poor in Copa America last year, outside of the final, and then had that disaster at Inter. I figured the writing was on the wall about his ability but I guess Tabarez has a different idea.

I wasnt saying Hernandez is as good as Henry, just that he plays like him and even runs like him. I really like him and figured he would have made his big move by now.

and based on this dominate performance by England, we can also deduce that the Lampard/Gerrard partnership works! *ignores almost a decade of it not working*

Neither should be anywhere near the England team now.

They have both had great domestic football careers. But neither has been great over a prolonged period of time for England. Good, but not great.

Time we moved on and built for the future.

They have both had great domestic football careers. But neither has been great over a prolonged period of time for England. Good' date=' but not great.

Time we moved on and built for the future.[/quote']

Hodgson had a real chance to build for the future this qualifying campaign.

Instead, the squads since the Euro's have more or less the same old feel to them.

Hail.

They have both had great domestic football careers. But neither has been great over a prolonged period of time for England. Good' date=' but not great.

Time we moved on and built for the future.[/quote']

that's an interesting question...who would you pair as the 'future' midfield for England? Wilkshere and Henderson? Cleavery and Rodwell? They need to figure out a way to get Joe Allen on the team

Cleverly looked WAY out of his depth on Friday. Pretty much the same way he has for Utd the start of this year.

Hail.

Who would you say is the future English midfield? I know Wilshere is supposed to be there, but he can't stay healthy. Henderson has the ability, but he hasn't looked very good since he transferred to Liverpool

Who would you say is the future English midfield? I know Wilshere is supposed to be there, but he can't stay healthy. Henderson has the ability, but he hasn't looked very good since he transferred to Liverpool

Wilshire definitely when fit. Rodwell, Shelvey. I like Landsbury who's just left Arsenal for Forrest. Ward-Prowse looks an excellent talent at Southampton already at 17. Out wide, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Youngs only 27. Tom Ince looks real promising at Blackpool.

There's some decent young players that could well give the National team a real boost.

Hail.

Henderson is too timid.

If Jack can come back its him, Chamberlain (when he moves central), Josh McEachran potentially (he is frail but he is so good on the ball), maybe Rodwell and Cleverly as well.

that's an interesting question...who would you pair as the 'future' midfield for England? Wilkshere and Henderson? Cleavery and Rodwell? They need to figure out a way to get Joe Allen on the team

Jack Wilshere is pretty much the only guy with the potential to be 'great' from the current crop of players. England need him to be fit in a hurry. Cleverly is a quality player, who again needs to stay fit.

Henderson, pass on that, his career is going to go on hold at Liverpool I think. Same probably applies to Rodwell once he gets confined to the Man City bench...

There are plenty of options on either wing position. The problem we have is that the current manager is not going to revolutionise the English game.

We'll breeze through the qualifiers before being embarrassed on the big stage......again.

Wilshire definitely when fit.

---------- Post added September-9th-2012 at 07:44 AM ----------

Jack Wilshere is pretty much the only guy with the potential to be 'great' from the current crop of players.

---------- Post added September-9th-2012 at 07:49 AM ----------

If Jack can come back its him

Everyone says Wilshere, but is he every going to be fit enough to play? Will injuries always be a part of his career? Can he be counted on, or do they need to go in a different direction? I think the wings look good with Ox, Walcott, Sterling (biased) and A Johnson

Completely forgot Adam Johnson out wide. Great shout.

And that's a pertinent question about Wilshere and his health. I personally (biased or not I've seen enough of him to judge) think Shelvey will make a fine International player that would give England something different in the attacking third. Rodwell's more of a holding midfielder, but a quality one if raw. It's another pertinent point from '74 that he might well get swallowed up at City the same way say Parker did when he foolishly chased the money at Chelsea. Even Cleverley is little more than a hard working guy who like most English youngsters with even a modicum of talent gets hyped to ridiculous levels and something he's not by a media desperate for someone to emerge for the National side.

But yeah, as regards the middle of the park, there is a real dirth of top quality talent coming through. A lot of promising players. But hardly what you'd envisage as being real International quality.

As we discussed through the summer, England will pay the price for a good few years yet of serious neglect at youth level of technical ability. Hopefully the way the FA has completely restructured youth football will start to pay dividends going forward. But it certainly won't start to show under this manager. Or probably the next.

Hail.

*Edit* And it's not just in the middle. You'd be struggling to name young, real quality in depth at the back or upfront as well. It's easy to slam Hodgson, and I do believe he should be introducing more young faces; but on the flip side of that, if the talents not there, he can't just put them in because their kids.

*Double Edit* And no need to tell you man, but your not biased on Sterling. If he keeps developing at the rapid rate he has thus far, he could well be the brightest English talent of the lot. Interestingly, I'm just reading an article on Jamaica trying to woo Raheem. That would be a shocking loss for England's future if he did plump for them as being able to offer him more.

We'll see about Wilshere. He's supposed to be back in October. I really feel for the guy and his struggles in getting back on the pitch. Wenger gave him the #10 shirt so that speaks volumes on his ability. Arsene might have trouble holding onto his top players, but it's inarguable that they can play.

So, there is a strong rumor that Sir Alex is asking the Man Utd. brain trust to do whatever it takes to transfer for Ronaldo in the near future. To tell you the truth, I don't know how to feel about this move if true. Didn't he leave Utd. because he wanted to play close to home some years back? GHH, what are you hearing over there about that? I'm pretty sure it's a rumor and nothing else.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/story/paper-chase-sep-09-alex-ferguson-to-tempt-cristiano-ronaldo-return-manchester-united-090912

One of the tabloids run a non-story IMHO that Ferguson had asked Utd to do whatever it takes to bring Ronaldo back after rumors in Spain that he's unhappy at Madrid not bowing to his alleged wage demands on a new contract. With zero quotes from Ferguson. International week, and some journalist trying to make a story out of nothing it appeared to me.

The strong rumor that won't go away, FWIW, is Ferguson's just about had enough of Rooney thinking he's bigger than the club and may well look to of load him in the summer. Make of that what you will, but it's one that keeps hanging around over here.

Hail.

*Edit* That was the story the Mirror run on Sunday:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/alex-ferguson-asks-manchester-united-1314054

The strong rumor that won't go away, FWIW, is Ferguson's just about had enough of Rooney thinking he's bigger than the club and may well look to of load him in the summer. Make of that what you will, but it's one that keeps hanging around over here.

Hmm, that's interesting. If he does, they'll still be strong with Welbeck, Hernandez, RvP, and Macheda on the strike in my opinion. I don't see RM selling Ronaldo at all.

United dont have the cash to buy Cronaldo, no matter what those tabloids say, lol.

And I believe Rooney will be sold next summer too. Its not that he is bigger than the club, but that he is on the brink of a big decline. He doesnt take care of himself and hasnt been that good of a player since that ankle injury in 2010 (i know he scores goals, but when you think of Rooney, you think of his team effort).

United cant afford to keep both RVP and Rooney. If they dont win the league or CL (and they wont win CL with that midfield) then I can see them selling Rooney to PSG or even Juve.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 07:52 PM ----------

hendgif.gif

pretty decent goal by the Arsenal youngster Connor Henderson. I doubt he makes it because of all the injuries he has had, but he really is a talented player.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

What's the deal with Tom cleverly? Everyone seems up on him for club and country. I don't see it.

You and me too man.

He's a hard working, decent player. Nothing special. All things being equal, he shouldn't be anywhere near a club of the stature of Utd.

But the talent level in England is so bad, that ANY youngster with a modicum of talent gets hyped beyond all recognition.

Hail.

*Edit* Another reason to dislike England. Empty red seats all over at Wembley for a game that would be full elsewhere in the Country. England always has been and always will be geared toward Southerners.