Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Going to turn to the dark side and watch the Bundesliga at half past .....

Hoffenheim- Cologne. REALLY liked what I saw out of Hector the Italy game last week so want to catch a few Cologne games to have a better look. 

This guy is really exciting me. 

Hail. 

*Edit* And Horn. Forgot he was at Cologne haha. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Still don't see as we either need or are getting another forward. 

Sturridge (obviously presuming he's healthy), Ings, Origi, with Firmino and Gotze, if he does indeed sign, both more than capable of playing up front. 

Good point.  But I think we get one more with the Benteke money in case you have an injury or two next year.  You'd have to think Firmino behind a true striker is deadly, with Coutinho and Gotze on either side being deadly.  But I'd say you'd want at least one more PURE striker. That give you a starter and a back-up for both League and Cups (at least in theory).

In fact, yesterday the NBC commentary showed him and I think it was Graham Lesoux who said "some of these LFC players are going to be more running this preseason than they have in their entire lives".

Sturridge ain't gonna cope with that haha. By the way, not trolling here, it's my honest take on him. It would be great if it turned out different, for Liverpool.....and England for me....just don't see it.

I agree with you, Liverpool need another forward.

• Like 1

Sturridge ain't gonna cope with that haha. By the way, not trolling here, it's my honest take on him. It would be great if it turned out different, for Liverpool.....and England for me....just don't see it.

I agree with you, Liverpool need another forward.

Well, I'm with the others that I don't sell him just yet unless we get blown away.  Anything can happen.  And he has to realize that this is his last shot at a big club at 27 years old next season. If he's sold it won't be a lateral move.

Interested to see about this young Argentine I posted the video about. Never heard of the guy. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing a couple of those at least, and I suspect that the striker we buy is going to be someone most of us have never heard of.

So as noted above, I watched Hoffenheim- Cologne (1-1) yesterday for our reported targets. Hoffenheim have a TWENTY EIGHT year old manager. Never played a pro game in his life and has worked his way up through the coaching ranks. Amazing story. But I digress .....

I REALLY want Hector. He'd completely box off the LB slot. Easy to see how he's elevated himself to Germny's first choice LB. Quick, strong. Positionally very smart. Technically sound. Great when he does support the attack. Put some great balls into the box, one of which was the assist for Colognes goal. Strong in the air. He even took a few inswinging corners with his left that whipped into the middle. Yeah, BIG man crush going on as regards him. 

Horn had little to do as Cologne dominated the game. Good save with his feet the first half from some guy on loan from Leicester. Made a great save in injury time when he did everything right, pushing it away from goal ..... only for Volland to of gambled to volley in from a tight angle. Positionally he looked sound. Big presence. 

And for Hoffenheim, Volland looks a lively young forward. Took his goal superbly and was Hoffenheim's biggest threat. A lot of developing to go, but he'd be decent depth if there's anything there whilst he does. 

And their massive 6'5 centre half Sule, the German U-21 defender that's been heavily linked, looks very promising. Big, strong, commanding the air as you'd expect. Kept his position well and got his full back out of trouble a few times. Got a brilliant touch on a great Hector ball right across the area the back stick that looked a certain goal. And very tidy with a ball at his feet. 

Someone's going to be taking a very good, young centre half off Hoffenheim's hands sooner rather than later. Be nice to add him into our mix.

Hail. 

• Like 1

I'm sure if Hoffenheim are flirting with going down then we can get most of them for a decent price.  I like the Volland kid, but I also like the Argentine kid.

I definitely wouldn't be upset with getting Hector this window either, but I suspect there will be others.  And this is as important a window for City as they've ever had.  Their "initial purchases" are a year older and a year slower, and though De Bruyne showed well when healthy, Sterling has been horrible (stop traffic - cause he's all pace).  But this is as important a window as they've ever had in terms of keeping relevance in the top 4.

Also interested to see how Leicester City do with Cup Competitions.  It's pretty easy to run the league alone.  I think we've played close to twice as many games as them, but I suspect they're a one year wonder.

Gonna be a wild summer window.

But the business of this week has me STOKED.

• Like 1

You get the feeling the full shift is on.

West Ham getting better, City, United and Chelsea getting worse. 

I will be interested to see if Jose ends up at United, I think he can help them there, but not many folks love beating Jose more than Jurgen does. :lol:

Klopp's transfer record is also pretty ****ing good, so I don't worry at all about missing on guys that we want... he'll get someone in here who can play and play well.  So in other words, they can throw around all the money the want to, we're still going to get solid players in.

• Like 2

You get the feeling the full shift is on.

West Ham getting better, City, United and Chelsea getting worse. 

I will be interested to see if Jose ends up at United, I think he can help them there, but not many folks love beating Jose more than Jurgen does. :lol:

Klopp's transfer record is also pretty ****ing good, so I don't worry at all about missing on guys that we want... he'll get someone in here who can play and play well.  So in other words, they can throw around all the money the want to, we're still going to get solid players in.

Conte has inked.  If the rumors of the people he is interested in bringing in is even half true, you will see the chels moving back up!

Conte has inked.  If the rumors of the people he is interested in bringing in is even half true, you will see the chels moving back up!

I hope he brings Pogba.  :lol:  That's THE most overrated player in the world.

Italian league players don't usually pan out in the Premier League.  There's too much running in England.

I hope he brings Pogba.  :lol:  That's THE most overrated player in the world.

Italian league players don't usually pan out in the Premier League.  There's too much running in England.

agreed on both counts.  Pogba would sell a lot of shirts though. 

Apparently he wants Nainggolan, Manolas, Bonucci, keep cuadrado, among others.  Nainggolan (can't be bothered to look up the spelling) is someone that I am intrigued by.  Bonucci is also class. 

Interestingly enough he seems to be a jose mourinho clone.  Hot-headed manager who doesn't play free, attacking football and often handles the media poorly.  Oh well...

• Like 1

If you aren't ready yet, this video will get you there.

Two more sleep!

Counting down the hours to 7:50 AM (2:50 AM EST) Thursday morning and the flight to Cologne!

This is going to be one HELL of a top trip whatever happens on the pitch. 

As a born and bred Liverpudlian, who's club is intrinsically woven into the rich fabric of European football being one of the biggest and most successful clubs on the Continent, THIS is what you live for as a match going fan. Experiences and memory's like this that money just can not buy. 

UEFA must be creaming themselves that for the second straight round they have a Europa League tie that overshadows the Champions League in terms of World wide interest. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Counting down the hours to 7:50 AM (2:50 AM EST) Thursday morning and the flight to Cologne!

This is going to be one HELL of a top trip whatever happens on the pitch. 

As a born and bred Liverpudlian, who's club is intrinsically woven into the rich fabric of European football being one of the biggest and most successful clubs on the Continent, THIS is what you live for as a match going fan. Experiences and memory's like this that money just can not buy. 

UEFA must be creaming themselves that for the second straight round they have a Europa League tie that overshadows the Champions League in terms of World wide interest. 

Hail. 

Completely jealous, man.

This would be one that I'd come to in a second, too.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any excuses in Germany for work to send me :lol:

Might be able to pull the final, though ;)

• Like 1

Completely jealous, man.

This would be one that I'd come to in a second, too.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any excuses in Germany for work to send me :lol:

Might be able to pull the final, though ;)

*Smiles. Excessively privileged to of been born where I was born and to of been brought up a red. The memories this football club has and continues to bestow on us is like VERY few others. 

And just knowing you, j, and every other red on here will be glued to their TV's/ 'puters et all come 3:05 PM EST Thursday afternoon is good enough. Ya'll are there in spirit. 

Just I have to carry ya'll's ass' as per usual and do the actual vocal backing at the game!  :P .

Hail. 

*Edit* BTW, you're trying to tell us that a top military mind like yourself can't come up with a reason to be in a Country we've had 2 WW's with !!!!! 

Adding this lame one to the multitude of owed ass kickings!

• Like 1

Good to see the European football back up and running. Fills the midweek. Looking forward to the barca game got a soft spot for athletico but chose barca on my accumalator so rooting against them. Bayern should hammer Benfica over the two legs just too much quality across the board.

Good to see the European football back up and running. Fills the midweek. Looking forward to the barca game got a soft spot for athletico but chose barca on my accumalator so rooting against them. Bayern should hammer Benfica over the two legs just too much quality across the board.

Honestly think Atletico can give Barca a game or two.  If Barca gets through them it's the title.  For whatever reason I have Atletico as the only team that can take them out.

Honestly think Atletico can give Barca a game or two. If Barca gets through them it's the title. For whatever reason I have Atletico as the only team that can take them out.

I think it'll be close(as I wrote that Torres scores). Athletico are a good match up for barca because they have defensive discipline to soak up long spells without the ball and they have a good counter attacking outlet in Griezmann. I still have this feeling PSG will win it this year as long as they can avoid barca.
  • Like 1

I think it'll be close(as I wrote that Torres scores). Athletico are a good match up for barca because they have defensive discipline to soak up long spells without the ball and they have a good counter attacking outlet in Griezmann. I still have this feeling PSG will win it this year as long as they can avoid barca.

As much as it would upset FrFan, I would love to see PSG win it.

Ibra is my favorite player to never play for Liverpool.

I think Torres scores, too, fwiw.

As much as it would upset FrFan, I would love to see PSG win it.

Ibra is my favorite player to never play for Liverpool.

I think Torres scores, too, fwiw.

Think you've cursed him! Torres has just been sent off.

I love Ibrha think he's really underated. Some of the goals he's scored in his career are unreal. he's of the top 10 players in the world.

• Like 1