Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Like Clyne a lot too tbf. Would take Seamus Coleman over present day Zabaleta every day of the week though.

It's a wonder how they concede so much with that back 4.

You'd think Martinez has to be the next man out.

I'd still take Leighton Baines in Red in a second, even at this stage.

Johan Cruyff played for the Washington Diplomats in the old NASL.

I watched him play. I still have a Diplomats pennant hanging in my sports room.

I was lucky enough to be at a training session (my team's coach knew a few of the folks at the Diplomats and our team got to watch them one day).  Saw Cruyff standing near midfield during an attacking drill.  One of the Dips GK was taking his time getting into the goal, so Cruyff got a ball and chipped him from just inside midfield, then went back to drill.  Amazing.

• Like 1

Alexis Sanchez is by FAR the best player on the pitch in Santiago so far tonight.

And that Messi kid is wearing the other strip.

Games like this is why I just can't give Aguerro the nod as best striker in the premier league.

He absolutely destroys the premier league, but he's just rarely a threat for Argentina.

What a goal by Di Maria 1-1.

Argentina getting into the game after the 2nd injury to Chile.

• Like 1

Alexis Sanchez is by FAR the best player on the pitch in Santiago so far tonight.

And that Messi kid is wearing the other strip.

Games like this is why I just can't give Aguerro the nod as best striker in the premier league.

He absolutely destroys the premier league, but he's just rarely a threat for Argentina.

What a goal by Di Maria 1-1.

Argentina getting into the game after the 2nd injury to Chile.

Fantastic match to watch.

• Like 1

I never knew he said that. The quote now adorns a wall at Melwood. Smiles. BIG. 

Hail. 

Words of wisdom coming from a player who had the biggest influence on and off the field. He was a fantastic player to watch, a leader. Off the field he was a successful coach with Ajax and ultimately he made Barcelona a powerhouse. He was the one who started "la masia" 'FCB youth academy) and brought them their first Champions league trophy.

I definitely agrre with Platini, eventhough he was a king without a crown, overall Johan is GOT. No one else has ever influenced the game like he did.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

Cruyff was football, plain and simple.

Whether as a player or manager, he had a love and understanding of the game that transcended any others. Wherever he went, greatness followed.

Even to his final days he was all about football. He lamented the Netherlands atrocious showing in Euro qualifying, saying they had gotten away from the principles that had made the Dutch such an international power. He was highly critical of both van Marwijk and van Gaal, not sure about Blind (though I will happily criticize him), but he was quite complimentary towards PSV's showing in their Atletico tie. Praised Cocu's tactics. Now, if we can just get Cocu to take over the national team.

Cruyff is a legend...and was a footballer through and through, even to his final days.

• Like 2

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines... their pitch is literally worse than my intramural league pitch (which is actually REALLY nice field turf).

But they're playing a World Cup qualifier against Trinadad right now, and the 11 citizens that aren't on the pitch are in the stands :lol:

Would love to see them get a point.

USMNT plays tonight at 10pm with Guatemala.  Looking forward to that one after the Caps game.

Bundesliga guys... who is Kevin Volland?

Talented forward since playing for Germany U21. I bet Jurgen can't wait to sign him :D .

He scored 7 goals this season as the lone centre-forward of TSGH. His club is currently 3rd from the bottom and battling relegation.

Volland's contract clause is supposed to be around €15 million, with the talent he has, it's cheap.

• Like 1

We don't need a forward unless he goes on the cheap.

Helpful?

Hail.

Like FR said, his buyout is a little north of 14 mil.

Why not?  You sell Benteke you still need another.  Even with a healthy Danny Ings.

And he's probably got a report with Bobby.

He's BACK on the International stage. Hard to argue with Messi that's he's playing on another level to anyone else the World right now:

After he left, there was a while there where I forgot that we were allowed to score from there.

God I love him.

• Like 1

Like FR said, his buyout is a little north of 14 mil.

Why not?  You sell Benteke you still need another.  Even with a healthy Danny Ings.

And he's probably got a report with Bobby.

Sturridge, Ings, Origi, with Firmino and maybe Gotze able to play up there in a pitch. 

If the right forwards there sure. But not high on my priority list. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Talented forward since playing for Germany U21. I bet Jurgen can't wait to sign him :D .

He scored 7 goals this season as the lone centre-forward of TSGH. His club is currently 3rd from the bottom and battling relegation.

Volland's contract clause is supposed to be around €15 million, with the talent he has, it's cheap.

Thanks brother.  At least one of our national teams wanted to play football yesterday.

Sturridge, Ings, Origi, with Firmino and maybe Gotze able to play up there in a pitch. 

If the right forwards there sure. But not high on my priority list. 

Hail. 

I have Gotze as a Lallana replacement and have Lallana as a super sub.

Unless Xhaka is hurt, then you can slide Coutinho back there and let Gotze play the left.

Still would like one more at least as Sturridge is manic.  Even if he's gotten over his injury thing.

• Like 2

Get Wanyama, they gotten everyone else from Southampton anyway.

Xhaka.  We have aspirations in Europe too :P

Ter Stegen

Flanno-Gomez-Sakho-Clyne

Can-Xhaka

Gotze-Firmino-Coutinho

Sturridge

Ings

Volland

Lallana

Markovic

Grujic

Matip

Mignolet

Xhaka.  We have aspirations in Europe too :P

Ter Stegen

Flanno-Gomez-Sakho-Clyne

Can-Xhaka

Gotze-Firmino-Coutinho

Sturridge

Ings

Volland

Lallana

Markovic

Grujic

Matip

Mignolet

Lovren> Sakho. 

NEVER thought I'd say that. But then Klopp came and he started getting both defensive training and was asked to just defend and not over play. 

And Matip will surely be one of the starting centre half next year?

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Lovren> Sakho. 

NEVER thought I'd say that. But then Klopp came and he started getting both defensive training and was asked to just defend and not over play. 

And Matip will surely be one of the starting centre half next year?

Hail. 

I have to see him first.  I would have Lovren in the bench, too, for one of the attackers.  But I'm not sure what Jurgen wants to do with Markovic yet. 

I still think he's a player and you know I love my easter-Euros.

• Like 1