Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

CONCACAF CCL starts out rough for DCU. If there was a team that I would've figured we could stand a solid chance against in this tourney it would've been Queretaro. Really hoping we see a better performance when they come to DC in a few days. I know I shouldn't be too bummed since we're still in preseason form and the Mexican sides are further along. But any loss, especially a clean sheet stings. Also doesn't help that Seattle played a solid match against America. Hoping this isn't a sign of things to come once MLS play starts.

I blame Chris Rolfe cutting his hair lol.

Vamos United

• Like 2

CONCACAF CCL starts out rough for DCU. If there was a team that I would've figured we could stand a solid chance against in this tourney it would've been Queretaro. Really hoping we see a better performance when they come to DC in a few days. I know I shouldn't be too bummed since we're still in preseason form and the Mexican sides are further along. But any loss, especially a clean sheet stings. Also doesn't help that Seattle played a solid match against America. Hoping this isn't a sign of things to come once MLS play starts.

I blame Chris Rolfe cutting his hair lol.

Vamos United

Yeah, not sure how Birnbaum didn't score there on that amazing double-save (like I said before, he's the next American centerback to move to Europe, mark my words) and the first goal should've been saved.  You could argue Dykstra saw it late, but the view from behind showed that he just reacted slowly, which is his problem.  Positioning was fine, just reacted slowly to it.

The second goal was the back breaker, though.  Combo of a great ball-in and terrible defending.

Kemp was awful down the left hand side going forward.

Looks like DC United will again struggle to score goals this year.... only this time they'll be without Bill Hamid for the first half of the season.  I'd be surprised to see them in the playoffs this year, unfortunately.

• Like 2

My hope, as I said in the DCU thread, is that the acquisitions of all these midfielders starts to put a jolt into the offensive play. It had been mentioned at some point last year that Ben intended to convert the standard 4-4-2 into a diamond. My guess is that all of the new midfield acquisitions have something to do with that and I'm hoping it shows results. What sucks though, is that there isn't much acclimation time before we start MLS play. So I think we're going to struggle out of the gate. Still holding out hope the offense improves as the year progresses and really hits stride once Bill comes back.

Pretty much all very optimistic thinking though lol.

My hope, as I said in the DCU thread, is that the acquisitions of all these midfielders starts to put a jolt into the offensive play. It had been mentioned at some point last year that Ben intended to convert the standard 4-4-2 into a diamond. My guess is that all of the new midfield acquisitions have something to do with that and I'm hoping it shows results. What sucks though, is that there isn't much acclimation time before we start MLS play. So I think we're going to struggle out of the gate. Still holding out hope the offense improves as the year progresses and really hits stride once Bill comes back.

Pretty much all very optimistic thinking though lol.

Definitely tough to tell what Olsen was trying to do last year with some of the injuries.  Outside of Kitchen I'm not sure we had a legit midfielder out there depending on where he played Rolfe.  But we seemed to spend a lot of time working the ball wide and then not getting bodies in the box.  Outside of the first couple of games with Sabo in there. Not sure Arrieta is going to be a player either, but we also don't have anyone but Fabi who could play him in... and Fabi is normally up there with him in the attack.

I know Ben gets handed a pile of **** and is asked to make something of it, and he does brilliantly at it.  But eventually we're going to have to start scoring goals on the regular if we want to get back to being the "Evil Empire".

• Like 1

I'll take 2-2 but we blew that win. Well I should say Pep did by not making a defensive sub after 2-0. The tie should be over.

Exactly.  Going into the match, I would have taken 2-2 and ran.  Both goals from bad errors.  Should have gone more defensive after the second.

Well, Bayern are 9-0 in last 9 UCL matches at AA, with 36-4 goals scored record.  I like Bayern's chances.

Lots of media sites reporting Conte next manager at CFC.  Also reporting a large overhaul in the offseason seeing Nainggolan, Vidal, and Stones in at Stamford bridge.  Would be interesting if Conte tries to implement a 3-5-2 which I believe is his preferred formation.  3 at the back has a history of not working too well in the BPL though...

but a setup like this looks pretty dangerous:

Tibo

Stones - Zouma - Cahill

Azpi                                   Baba

Nainggolan       Vidal

Fabregas

Costa - Hazard 

Game day today.  Huge match. 

Same XI you think?

I was thinking possibly Lucas for Hendo (he still doesn't look fully fit), and maybe Origi for Can. I'd go diamond in the mid with Firmino top, Lucas bottom, and Phil and Milner left and right. Just idiot speculation...in Klopp I believe!

• Like 1

Same XI you think?

I was thinking possibly Lucas for Hendo (he still doesn't look fully fit), and maybe Origi for Can. I'd go diamond in the mid with Firmino top, Lucas bottom, and Phil and Milner left and right. Just idiot speculation...in Klopp I believe!

This I'm not sure of with the final on Sunday.

For me, that's still plenty of time to recover, but then right back against City for the following match day.

Honestly, I'd go same 11.  We need to learn to become killers if we want to kill.

• Like 1

Lots of media sites reporting Conte next manager at CFC.  Also reporting a large overhaul in the offseason seeing Nainggolan, Vidal, and Stones in at Stamford bridge.  Would be interesting if Conte tries to implement a 3-5-2 which I believe is his preferred formation.  3 at the back has a history of not working too well in the BPL though...

but a setup like this looks pretty dangerous:

Tibo

Stones - Zouma - Cahill

Azpi                                   Baba

Nainggolan       Vidal

Fabregas

Costa - Hazard 

Vidal moving only if Ancelotti doesn't want him.  Based on his recent play, I don't expect to see Vidal going anywhere.  Think there will be giant fight for Stones among several EPL sides.

Vidal moving only if Ancelotti doesn't want him.  Based on his recent play, I don't expect to see Vidal going anywhere.  Think there will be giant fight for Stones among several EPL sides.

I have heard lots of rumors, and it's obviously all speculation.  I've never seen a more muddied picture than the soccer transfer market.  Where there is smoke there is almost certainly NOT fire. 

But, with this one I could see it.  I have heard Vidal/family are unsettled and he has a tremendous relationship with Conte.  I'm not saying he will hand in a transfer request, just saying it's possible.  A man can dream, can't he?

Well deserved result.

Just seems as though whomever they play up top just can't find the net.

Clearly the better side today, should have had 3 or 4. I'm really beginning to sour on Can. He just isn't giving the quality needed in the midfield, though I like his size. Grujcic may take his minutes next year, that is if he's still around. I expect a big turnover this summer.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2