• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Sticksboi05

ES Soccer Thread

I hadn't realised last night's SC put L'pool, discounting CS as people commonly do which is mad to me, back in front of Utd by 1 as the most successful English club again. 

Which is nice.

Hail. 

• Sad 1

Dominic KingVerified account @DominicKing_DMFollowFollow 
@DominicKing_DM

Other news: Liverpool have called off transfer talks with Roma over Dejan Lovren. Liverpool frustrated by Roma’s failure to come up with a significant plan after indicating they would buy for £15m. Never an official proposal, so sale is now off.

3:07 am - 16 Aug 2019

Christ Italian clubs have some nerve with these loan-buy's. That invariably just give a free player for a season. 

Do one dickheads.

Hail. 

20 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

@Long n Leftit was much closer and not nearly "clear & obvious". The video has to be stopped and magnifying glasses pulled out.

39082F87-143B-402D-9A38-20E5CA151347.jpeg

Cmon. Virgil is still in dark green grass while Pulisic is in light green. Clear and obvious

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Cmon. Virgil is still in dark green grass while Pulisic is in light green. Clear and obvious

I think a lot of the derision over your side of the pond mate is emanating from Christian being an American and his big moment history in a big European final taken from him. 

There's been little on the off-side's here save for the bat**** stupid new rule to let play develop to the next phase before pulling it back. The main gripe from Chelsea fans here, which is far more valid IMHO, has been over the final peno and Adrian having both feet off his line contrary to the new rules. Which UEFA haven't cleared u in their explanation. 

But then first half non-penalty for the blatant handball, and the ridiculous awarding of the one that lead to the equaliser (not by the excellent French lady from her angle. But by the absolute imbeciles looking back on it via VAR), more than evens that out. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

21 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:
Just need City to drop points tomorrow and this weekend will be gold.

VAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 1:09 PM, Long n Left said:

You are genuinely seeing things that aren't there.

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

PULISIC IS STARTING

After the first 20' Chelsea looked like ****. Constantly turning the ball over, it was any wonder that CP didn't win. Twitter-verse was pretty harsh on Pulisic when there wasn't any in Chelsea's offense that was able to do much of anything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chelsea was pitiful today, CP rarely touched the ball and didn't have a chance to create.  I don't know what the difference between today and the Liverpool game was but they were dismal.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lampard's strategy seems to be to run his players down and steal the victory before the other team can adapt. You can tell your team's manager understands modern tactics if they can adapt mid-game.

Edited by FanboyOf91

Posted (edited)

Honestly, mooching round the net and social media this AM (I know. Most imbeciles behind a screen with a platform are no reflection on actual reality) you'd think we were Everton or Newcastle or some ****e. 

And all this coming off the back of a superb win in context yesterday which keeps the near perfect start to the season (the lottery of the CS penalties aside), rolling along nicely. From a L'pool side as good as anything in our history that's on a stupid roll of only 1 loss and 33 wins from their last 41 league games with 11 straight. wins. (Interspersed with winning 2 major European trophies.). 2 short of a new club record with every chance of that falling the next 2 Saturday tea-times with Arsenal at fortress Anfield and a trip to Burnley coming up. 

Utter madness how everyone's not proper content and happy with this gang of ridiculous Reds we're SO privileged to be watching. 

I just don't get what more folk expect?

Hail. 

*Edit*  Oh yeah, Klopp has now reached 300 points quicker than any manager in L'pool's storied 127 year history. 4 games quicker than Kenny. (146 and 150 games respectively.). 

Absolute living legend! 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Thanks 1

Decent but frustrating result. Beside the 5 minute spell that led to their goal we held Wolves at bay rather easily. The defensive reinforcements look worth absolutely every penny at this point and will hopefully only get better. United looked overall very organized and comfortable defending, which is what you want when you spend about $150 million on two defenders, and it's helping Shaw and more importantly Lindelof raise their game. With Vertonghen out United may have the third best back 4 in the league so that's something to be optimistic about. 

The midfield on the other hand is dire, and N.E.S made a shocking tactical error in not surrounding Pogba. Lingard is just so painfully substandard for a club aspiring for a top 4 spot it's painful to watch, and McTominay needs two playmakers around him in a midfield three so as not to be counted on to launch attacks with the ball at his feet on a consistent basis. Bruno Fernandes would have been perfect with McTominay, allowing him to focus more on breaking up play, and giving Pogba another outlet. He could have played in Lingard's role today, or in Pogba's role allowing Pogba to push up to a position where he was unplayable at times last year during the big win streak. Whether it's Matic or Fred playing beside McTominay, or Mata or even Gomes playing in the number 10 hole, there has to be a better option than playing Lingard there as he's dragging the whole side down.

I can live with an attacking trio of Rashford/Martial/James, mostly because you can't plug every hole in one transfer window, but they could be so much better if that POS little worm knew how to close a transfer and signed the player the club wanted all summer long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Always thought “hockey assists” should be kept as a stat. 

'Sake. I mean we know Mo's World Class like. But's he's now sat on- 

57 goals and 20 assists the PL. 77 goal involvements through 77 PL games for the Reds. 

With him being just 1 away from being directly involved in 100 through 109 L'pool games all comps. (74 goals/ 25 assists.). 

Only Messi has been involved in more goals for his side the World over Mo's time here. 

We're not just privileged to be witnessing someone really special. We're privileged to be watching someone absolutely phenomenal at his art.

Hail. 

• Thanks 1