Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, watching Newcastle v Arsenal, I get Newcastle isn't great but what are the fans boycotting for? Just mad about how they did in transfers? 

Rafa Benitez left Newcastle because their owner wouldn't spend money, gets replaced by someone with one of the worst Premier League managing records whom said-owner gifts more money to spend than he ever gave to Rafa. 

• Thanks 2

Gotta' say, as much as I'm buzzing on the eve of another big European Final, it's hard to be stuck in L'pool and not out in that wondrous City by the Bosporus where East meets West in a magical cultural mix. Not least when 'mates' are bouncing photies back to you. ****ERS! Sadly just not the right time of the season for Istanbul with flight prices sky high off the back of Madrid and Qatar December. Something had to give and regrettably Istanbul was it. 

Absolutely gutted to be missing out tomorrow. 2005 and Japan the CWC aside, the first final I've missed of any description since my first in 1984. 

Still find it utterly mad how some folk don't think this is an important trophy to win when not only are there just three of them in UEFA competition, where the really big clubs judge themselves, but it's both an honour and privileged reward for winning one of the two European majors. With the added spice that's it's against the club that's as outright hated as any other for many Reds. Particularly older ones. 

Thankfully the manager and players are as hungry as ever to maintain that winning feeling now they've got the taste. 

At least the rest of Europe appreciate the significance and importance of the SC even if the majority of the insular English around the Country don't.

Here's to European trophy #13 tomorrow evening for one of UEFA's true elite aristocrats. 

Up the F Mentality Monster Reds!

Hail. 

• Like 1

Too goosed when I got back in last night to muse on a very weird game so a few thoughts:

First the admin.

Last night's latest success now takes us joint second all-time with Madrid in UEFA Super Cup wins-

5. Barcelona/ Milan. 
4. Liverpool/ Real Madrid. 
3. Atlético Madrid. 
2. Ajax/ Anderlecht/ Juventus/ Valencia. 

And subsequently moves us 1 behind Barcelona in the all-time list of UEFA club competition wins that define the Worlds super clubs-

22. Real Madrid. 
17. Milan.
14. Barcelona. 
13. Liverpool. 
11. Juventus. 
10. Ajax/ Bayern Munich. 

THIRTEEN UEFA Trophies man. That's as many league titles as this Country's third most successful football club, Arsenal, has! Absolute behemoth of a football club that once again showed it's as big as anything on the planet by completely painting Istanbul Red. And getting another real warm and welcoming reception from the locals in that magical City again by all accounts. With a ground that must have been 95% Red to put into STARK context the difference between proper World mega clubs and the recent, seriously limited history/ nouveau riche in England of Chelsea and their ilk. 

Standards man. This football club is now ALL about winning silverware again. No matter how off their game they are, these lads just don't lose games of football very often. Just as against Tottenham in Madrid 2 and half months ago, L'pool were poor. (Utterly ****e would be a more apt description.). But just like that glorious night, they believed in themselves enough to dig in and see it out. Of all the pertinent things Jürgen (who 'Only loses finals him!' ..... Yeah, THAT'S now a redundant slur) has said that really resinate, the '****ing Mentality Monsters' line after Barcelona sums up this superb gang of Reds more than anything. They just don't know when they're beaten and are now consistently starting to add the trophies to back every thing up. 

Utterly mad, yet equally brilliant, that you've got Rhian Brewster and Caoimhin Kelleher, at 19 and 20-years-of-age respectively, and without so much as a senior game of football under their belts yet, sat with two big European winners medals the last 10 weeks or so. Hoever at 17 with his first senior winners medal last night along with boyhood Red Harvey Elliott at 16-years-of-age. What an experience for those young men who now have the taste at such a young age to know what this club is all about and just what dreams they can achieve here. 

And then the two goalies. Both free agents training by themselves this summer ..... Man alive, boys own stuff the pair .....

35-year-old journeyman Andy Lonergan, picked up as a camp body to help out with the 'keeper crisis this summer, then starts a friendly for Europes best which must have mind blowing enough to begin with. But then circumstance rewards him for impressing through the pre-season with not only a contract at the European Champions, but his first experience happens to be on the bench in a European final, culminating with a winners medal around his neck for the first time in his 19-year career. Pinching himself doesn't begin to stat there. 

Adrián, picked up off the street a mere 9 days before last night, finds himself thrust into a surprise debut at a wild Anfield the PL season opener 4 days after arriving. And then is the peno saving hero to reinforce his new clubs standing as Europes best side 5 days after that with, like Lonergan, his first winners medal of his career. This game just delivers when it throws up such miraculous, heartwarming stories as those. Ridiculous for them all. Side note- Calm, assured, display from the Spaniard who's everything Mignolet never was to suggest we'll be sound with him in Alisson's absence. Not a World beater naturally who's particularly great in anything. Just solid and reliable all round with a couple of great saves and good distribution again. 

I guess it would be remiss to not mention the actual game ..... 

Chelsea, like they showed in totally bossing Utd for a good hour Sunday without the run of things, were real sprightly and really good going forward. Much the better team performance wise with the returning Kanté a big difference maker they lacked their humiliation in the opener. But then we walloped City all over the CS the other week and didn't get the result that deserved either. Such is football. L'pool were, in the main, dog **** for the vast majority of last night. Couldn't keep hold of the ball to save their lives. No shape with players out of position that just completely throws off our whole complex system in most every facet. With a completely non-existent midfield who just laboured all game and left the defence badly exposed. Milner and Oxo-Chambo particularly bad standouts who may as well not have been on the field. Along with Matip returning to bad Matip in his worst outing in well over 9 months. Just 'one of them' early season games where nottin goes right.

With the whole team looking really leggy too which, although a major surprise from ourselves, I think he's doing what he did last year and continuing the pre-season into the first month of the season and working them ragged in training to make sure it's in their legs to be fitter than anyone the business end of the season again. That said, the stifling heat and humidity, along with a pitch looking as bad so early in the season it took you back to Derby's arl Baseball Ground (just what was all that about?), doubtless played a big part. Not the best conditions at all conducive to a good game of early season togger. Although the real benefit in that sauna was Sadio getting a great 102 minutes into his legs after just returning from the AFCON. Our best player by a Country mile among the REALLY slim pickings. 

Props too to the history making French lady becoming the first to referee a senior UEFA competition mens game. Overall Stephanie Frappart went around her business quietly and effectively. As with all the best ones you rarely notice through a game do. She got the penalty totally wrong like. But then the continued VAR carnage should have sorted that but sadly, and not surprisingly,  got it catastrophically wrong. AGAIN! But full credit to her and her team overall for a good display. LOVED how she took no S off Azpillicueta in her face and booked him straight off to quell that. Senior mens officials should take note and that side of indiscipline and disrespect the men's game would be soon cleared up. 

All in a all a ****e game/ performance but another boss night watching Europes best. From a paltry one trophy the previous 12 years to now two major European ones in 2 and a half months. That's how we now roll again and we're just getting started! 

Can't get enough of the memories of L'pool hoisting silverware. Henderson's boss little trophy dance lift he's totally got down just adds haha.

Would anyone bet against him picking up another back in Istanbul next May?

European Royalty doing what European Royalty do. 

Up the F Mentality Monster Reds!

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

He wrote all of that and didn't mention Pulisic once.......#Annoyed

BTW, clear and obvious mistakes...anyone gonna try and convince me that it was clear and obvious that Pulisic was offside?

No?

More and more I'm supporting the idea that VAR needs to be reviewed at game speed, especially if we're looking for clear and obvious. I mean if it can't see clearly seen in full speed on playback then move on. The same thing goes with Sterling's goal from this weekend, fortunately, Sterling's goal wasn't the difference in the match. The same cannot be said about Pulisic.

• Like 1

Some really bizarre selection decisions in the game last night that certainly helped Chelsea dominate, particularly in the first half.  Judging by that I would like to offer my thanks to Franky Lamps for not playing Pulisic and Kante against us on Sunday until it was too late.  Overall still left with the impression that if Liverpool had been properly up for it they would have steamrollered Chelsea, just a strangely lethargic performance for much of the game not helped by a somewhat bizarre team selection from Klopp.  With their forwards all somewhat knackered from international duty this summer I cannot understand why Shaqiri cannot get a look in, if he doesn't come in for Salah at Southampton this weekend I am just going to have to conclude that he stole Klopp's hob nobs in the cafeteria, cannot think of another reason to keep such a talented plan B at the club and then refuse to play him when your starters look like they are about to have a coronary from overwork.  Maybe @Gibbs Hog Heaven has some insider knowledge?

Still think it is a two horse race again this season and breaking ranks with most of my fellow United fans I would far rather see Liverpool win than City.  My only fear is that Liverpool look terribly thin at the back once the first choice back 4 is out and they may need to be active in the January transfer window to maintain a challenge unless they have a couple of defensive studs in the academy that they are keeping under wraps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Some really bizarre selection decisions in the game last night that certainly helped Chelsea dominate, particularly in the first half.  Judging by that I would like to offer my thanks to Franky Lamps for not playing Pulisic and Kante against us on Sunday until it was too late. 

I'm still scratching my head on that decision. The ONLY thing I could think about holding Pulisic is that he didn't want to put him in the crosshairs if things went sideways, and then once the game was all but decided he risked nothing. I kinda get that thinking, not sure if I agree with it though, it's not as if Christian is an 18 year old kid fresh into the league. The guy has serious chops, and demonstrated that for years at BVB. But, it was nice to see him so integral last night. No pressure for Chelsea this year so Pulisic can settle in and shine like we know he will.

7 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

He wrote all of that and didn't mention Pulisic once.......#Annoyed

BTW, clear and obvious mistakes...anyone gonna try and convince me that it was clear and obvious that Pulisic was offside?

No?

More and more I'm supporting the idea that VAR needs to be reviewed at game speed, especially if we're looking for clear and obvious. I mean if it can't see clearly seen in full speed on playback then move on. The same thing goes with Sterling's goal from this weekend, fortunately, Sterling's goal wasn't the difference in the match. The same cannot be said about Pulisic.

Watching with a jaded eye? Pulisic clearly off by a yard. If yer gonna choose that, how about the Mane overhead that looked to be close to on frame the replay, that was CLEARLY handled in the box by a blue arm we’ll up and away from his body. Didn’t even go to VAR that? 

Chelsea ran over the Reds midfield first half, that Kante is something, but as soon as Firmino came on the tide changed dramatically...at least until most everyone was knackered the final 30. Team that created the more and better chances won, nuff said. Also fitting the guy who dives for the equalizing pen is the one who gets stoned for the win.

Hope to see more changes Saturday to keep the squad fresh, legs looking a bit heavy. Cool (hopefully) English air should do them well after the heat of America and Turkey.

• Thanks 1

@WelshSkinsFan What makes you think we weren't 'properly up for it' mate last night? If anyone was in any doubt, Klopp's reaction to the last peno should have dispelled that. Just one of them where nottin went on the pitch. 

Not sure 'bizarre' is the word I'd use to describe the team. The only surprise from what I was expecting was no Firmino and Oxo-Chambo playing. Matip coming in for Trent with JMG at RB to be more defensively solid was always expected and everyone else picks themselves. Maybe Wijnaldum for Milner but that's a toss up. 

As for the defence, as is our want, versatility os the key. Whilst some excellent youth continue developing we don't want to bloc. I mean even if Lovren goes, that leaves us with the exact same number of experienced, vet. CH's as City have. 3. And Fabinho showed last year he's more than capable of filling in back there with no drop-off in a worse case. Gomez currently covers both FB slots. Along with Milner who can drop in. Whilst Hoever is brought on who will be the de-facto back-up to Trent before this years out. And sooner rather than later has ridiculous rate of progress since we devoed Ajax by stealing him last year. And we've future proofed the middle this summer with another highly coveted Dutch kid, Sepp van den Berg. Who's already got 22 top-fight games in the Dutch League and Cup under his belt at just 17-years-of-age. If they do sanction Lovren's departure before the windows out, then that's an indication of just highly they value Sepp who's gone straight into the first team group from the get-go. We're maybe light at LB. Milner and Gomez aside. But there was a couple of youngsters who made a massive leap this past pre-season there being groomed so hopefully that's a sooner rather than later thing. 

As was always the case in football, and always will be, if a problem arises, you find a solution. And the vast versatility through a multitude of players within the squad always for that. 

The only glaring weakness I see is cover the left for Mane being as he won't play Shaqiri there. And you wouldn't want to rely on Origi for an extended spell. But that aside, this is the most balanced, deepest quality squad I've ever had the privilege of watching and one which is every bit City's equal IMHO as they continue to show. 

Shaqiri, certainly last year, was a tactical one on him not having our complex system down and often being out of position. Particularly defensively. I don't think the manager felt he could trust him and if just one player is out of synch in our system, everything goes to ****. Hopefully he'll be that much more aligned to what we do this year. 

Hail. 

Maybe they were up for it and certainly the celebrations showed how much they wanted the win.  I have watched almost every game Liverpool have played in the last few seasons because there is not much else to watch here in America and because though it pains me to say it they are bloody entertaining.  I am just used to them playing with much more intensity than they seemed to show last night and I do think playing Ox for Firminho was a headscratcher.  In the end though, Liverpool took home the trophy with a bargain bin signing in goal who just became an Anfield legend so Klopp clearly knows more about this game than I do.