Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

It always amuses me how professional soccer (outside of the US) is more "American" than the big American sports. To the victor goes the spoils, biggest bank roll rules... that kind of stuff. No concern over parity or whether fans will still watch the sport if their team has NO chance of winning the league. 

Leagues always count on certain leagues showing up no matter what.  England, Germany, and Spain are leagues that will show up no matter what.  For the most part.  US lives for competition.  Overseas its all about loyalty to the club.  To be fair fans here in the US don't show up always for teams good or bad.  We've seen low attendances in both situations in football, basketball, baseball,etc.  Loyalty is not the same as it was in the US.  Gone are the days of sheer pride for ones hometown team.

It always amuses me how professional soccer (outside of the US) is more "American" than the big American sports. To the victor goes the spoils, biggest bank roll rules... that kind of stuff. No concern over parity or whether fans will still watch the sport if their team has NO chance of winning the league. 

Leagues always count on certain leagues showing up no matter what.  England, Germany, and Spain are leagues that will show up no matter what.  For the most part.  US lives for competition.  Overseas its all about loyalty to the club.  To be fair fans here in the US don't show up always for teams good or bad.  We've seen low attendances in both situations in football, basketball, baseball,etc.  Loyalty is not the same as it was in the US.  Gone are the days of sheer pride for ones hometown team.

those days never existed with US Sports.

Dumbass move from Dortmund.

Love what their building there with Klop but losing out on all that cash just because their pissed at Munich is cutting their nose off to spite their face.

Ridiculous.

Hail.

its not stupid. He has another year on his contract, and they dont need the money.

And they signed his replacement in Patrick Aubameyang.

Selling dude is probably less than what they would make in a deep CL run.

All credit to Brazil. They wanted it more and fully deserved the rewards for that desire. But write the double Euro/ World champs off at your peril.

I agree that Spain is far from done. The confederations cup is fun to watch but it's hardly an indicator of who will win the world cup.  I will say that beating Brazil in Brazil won't be easy for any nation.    

Spain are done because Xavi's Achilles are fried, he is old, and has played almost 400 matches the last 4 years. He is the key to everything and VDB only likes playing his old timers and wont bleed in the youngsters.

THey wont win the World Cup next year and may not even make it to the semis. 

A couple fun Gold Cup games last night. Well, the first one wasn't really fun until Martinique's golazo to edge out Canada 1-0. And the second was fun simply because it was another Mexiclol fail. I'm starting to wonder when the Mexican fans will start chanting puto at their own free kicks. Maybe when they're not too busy running out on the field (while their team is losing, mind you) like a bunch of drunken dumbasses. (See Chivas/Club America friendly last week and last night's game)

Help me out here Joe.

You don't think Dirtmund are stupid in letting Lewandowkis contract run out and him join Bayern next summer for free, when they could of gotten something for him as they can make more from a deep Champions League run? (Which is not guaranteed to go past Christmas to start with.).

Interesting POV. I'd say Dortmund have handled this shockingly always round. Not least in the first place letting his contract run down to it's last year.

And U'll take anyone's money that Spain finished.

Hail.

Help me out here Joe.

You don't think Dirtmund are stupid in letting Lewandowkis contract run out and him join Bayern next summer for free, when they could of gotten something for him as they can make more from a deep Champions League run? (Which is not guaranteed to go past Christmas to start with.).

Interesting POV. I'd say Dortmund have handled this shockingly always round. Not least in the first place letting his contract run down to it's last year.

Hail.

Dortmund has plenty of money it just doesn't take the philosophy of throwing it everything.  Besides they don

t have much to gain from selling to Bayern.  Bayern can sign a ridic check to them and it won't hurt them in the slightest.  This is how Bayern gets its good players.  Forces other teams in the league into corners with a check or waiting them out.

He's agreed to hoping Bayern next year right? The deals done and the Pole will make a killing in the money not going to Dortmund.

Wouldn't that money be better off in Dortmund's coffers now instead of keeping an unhappy player for a year and letting him walk for free

I honestly do not understand the logic hereat all.

Dortmund's stubbornness is costing them dear.

Hail.

Hoping? Join ....... Been a long hot day.

Hail.

I'm probably on the boat to have sold Lewandowski already but . . . here's my theory: Dortmund only finished one point above third. 3rd is still a CL spot but it's close, considering they lost Gotze now. 

But, Gotze is replaceable. He's only 4th in scoring (10) and tied for 3rd in assists (8) (in 2011/2012 he was even less of a factor), so, in essence, they're still the same squad. Arguably haven't lost much in the productivity dept. But they can't lose RL because he's leading scorer by far and has some assists as well (top scorer in the past two seasons and 2nd in assists in 11/12). 

Reus and Blazdfafdffski are much more integral pieces than Gotze. 

Without Gotze they can still qualify for CL in 2014/12015 year. Without RL, not sure that's possible.

Same thing as Liverpool and Suarez.

What is the point in keeping a player who clearly doesn't want to be there? He may still have a blinding season for Dortmund of course. Time will tell. But I suspect the Pole won't be half as effective as the previous two years now its official he's joining Munich when his contract is up in 2014.

Once a player goes down that route there's really only one option.

On a related note E, thanks for the mild amusement today with the £ 30 million lowball offer for Luis. I get exploring all options and seeing how desperate we are, but that really did push it and then some ha ha

Haul.

Don't get me started. This Higuain deal is the prototype for all ****ed up transfer negotiations. I THINK Wenger all these years conned us with "smart spending" when really he didn't want to be exposed about knowing nothing about closing deals—as with most academics. 

I'm going with the theory that that got leaked to "push" Madrid to accept our offer. Madrid just laughed it off, being it that this is not their first rodeo. 

What's Suarez' valuation anyway? £60M?

How about 30 million plus Higuaun? Ha ha

The bidding surely has to start at least at 50. Lets not forget for all his faults he was the EOL top scorer last season not including RVP's extra games to surpass him. And he's still got 4 years left on his contract. Boston holds all the cards in setting his fee.

L'pool rejecting Araenals bid whilst still insisting he's going nowhere was almost as amusing as the bid itself. His wife and kids are now living in Soain. He openly doesn't want to be here. It would be ridiculous to try keep a player like that.

Sadly I can see Madrid waiting until the end of the window as is their previous to both try get him on the cheap and screw us over in terms if a replacement. And we're that gullible we'd fall into the trap again.

Hail.

As sellers, they can drag their feet on Higuain because there will be a buyer somewhere that wanted to sign Cavani/Tevez/Villa/Gomez but couldn't. 

Wenger is stupid to play this game. Madrid are probably asking 30M for Higgy.

You don't want to set the floor for future transfers so high, but you also don't want to be left holding the bag. He was given a "huge" war chest for once, he needs to spend it. He's going to look foolish if he's still holding 70M by the end of the transfer window.

Said it the end if last season (although Mouriinho back changes this somewhat); Arsenal will never have a better opportunity to end the trophy drought and get back on top than now.

Carnage at Ciry. David Moyes Football Genius at Utd. It's all there if Arsene adds the two or three Worlf Class players you lack.

But he still seems to think he has a duty to balance the books even with the mega rich Russian on side. Crazy.

Hail.

So 'David Moyes Football Genius', after starting as he means to go on with a loss yesterday; has now lost out on another key target?

Well who knew things could change so quickly when you replace gold with copper .....

Hail.

*Confirmed. £ 21.6 million sterling. Utd just don't have the same pull these days .....

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

40 million GBP, and dont let anyone try and convince you otherwise

Would be funny if Suarez, after saying he was leaving due to the British media, ended up moving to London.

Wouldnt want him at Arsenal though. Not anywhere near worth it, and a mentally unstable player.

Help me out here Joe.

Hail.

I think their is a great chance Dortmund makes a deep CL run next year. They replaced Goetze with that Armenian guy and kept Lewandowski.

In 2012, Schalke got 28 million in payouts just by reaching round of 16.

And how much more can they get? Remember its the last year of his contract. They probably made the right move in keeping him. I will agree they messed up by not tying him down a couple of years ago.

And I will make a bet with anyone. Spain aren't getting to the Semis. The run is over for them.

So 'David Moyes Football Genius', after starting as he means to go on with a loss yesterday; has now lost out on another key target?

Well who knew things could change so quickly when you replace gold with copper .....

Hail.

*Confirmed. £ 21.6 million sterling. Utd just don't have the same pull these days ...

Yeah, if a top player right now has a choice between playing for Manchester United under Moyes and Bayern under Pep, I dont think its much contest right now. If Fergie was still there it would be a different story.

Would be funny if Suarez, after saying he was leaving due to the British media, ended up moving to London.

Wouldnt want him at Arsenal though. Not anywhere near worth it, and a mentally unstable player.

That's interesting as Wenger says he's certainly the top bracket talent fit enough to play at Areenal.

On Suarez though, **** him. He's now 'open to staying in Englamd so long as it's with a Champs Lge side.' Lying lil' rat. **** him. You're welcome to him. (But for considerably more than your £ 40 mill. valuation.).

Hail.

That's interesting as Wenger says he's certainly the top bracket talent fit enough to play at Areenal.

On Suarez though, **** him. He's now 'open to staying in Englamd so long as it's with a Champs Lge side.' Lying lil' rat. **** him. You're welcome to him. (But for considerably more than your £ 40 mill. valuation.).

Hail.

I dont care what Wenger says, I am telling you how I feel. I think Suarez is a very selfish footballer who is a bit too Tasmanian Devil for my liking. I think he would be great out left, but that will be Santi's position. He isnt a good enough finisher to play up front either.

I told you a month ago dude was playing games and Liverpool fans fell for it.

Not gonna' go through the good and bad points of Luis' game again. Suffice to say if he ended up at the Emirates, he'd be the most talented player yuse have had since Henry IMHO. For all his faults, he was the best forward in England last year and one of the best Worldwide.

Hail.

no, we've had Fabregas and van Persie at Arsenal.

Cazorla is as good of a talent.

and Van Persie was the best forward in the premiership last year. Suarez is just not that good of a finisher.

And none of those players were/are long term suspension risks either. Nah, do not want.

Edited by JoeWolf990

No disrespect to Fabregas, who's a wonderful playmaker (and whom you should be moving Heaven and Earth to re-sign now Barca have opened the door given Arsenals first refusal); he can't do the things Suarez can do on the ball individually. RVP may of ended up the top forward in England, but he sure as heck wasn't prior to Luis' ban.

You won't get any argument from me on Suarez and missed chances. He was (was being the operative word); one of the most frustrating players going. For all his World Class approach play, his finishing at times was Conference level. But you forgave him as he'd created the chance himself 9 times out of 10 with brilliant play. But that changed last season when he did become consistent and clinical in his finishing. He still has the propensity to frustrate, but not nearly as much as he used to.

All moot as he's not at Areenal and subjective either way. But for all his bad points, Arsenal would be a FAR more dangerous side with a player of Luis' caliber than not.

Hail.

please, Cesc controlled matches against Juve and Madrid at 18. Suarez has never done that.

I dont care about who can dribble better, I care about who is more influential. Cesc is a bigger influence than Suarez, and has proven that on massive stages.

And prior to Suarez's ban, RVP was the leading goal scorer in England. 

To put it into context just how middle of the road Suarez's finishing is, Gervinho had a better conversion percentage than Suarez did last season in the premiership;