Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

But tactics and training are intertwined cant really train at that level without relationship to the game.

The thing is there are two main issues with the US team.  1) Technical ability 2) positioning.

You can't fix technical ability over night.  We'll have to wait for that come with the new generation.  I have seen some good technical ability from some promising US players.  Positioning/tactics is something we definitely work on though.  Along with ability the German style revolves around being in the right place and constant movement.  We can't do anything about ability but the positioning sucks.  The movement is what is the problem though.  Maybe 10 mins out of 90 mins do we actually move around consistently. The other 80 mins we other do this slow passing or long ball pointless.  

The thing is there are two main issues with the US team.  1) Technical ability 2) positioning.

You can't fix technical ability over night.  We'll have to wait for that come with the new generation.  I have seen some good technical ability from some promising US players.  Positioning/tactics is something we definitely work on though.  Along with ability the German style revolves around being in the right place and constant movement.  We can't do anything about ability but the positioning sucks.  The movement is what is the problem though.  Maybe 10 mins out of 90 mins do we actually move around consistently. The other 80 mins we other do this slow passing or long ball pointless.  

I'm not sure what you meant by training and tactics in your previous post. I agree with you that our players are technically deficient. 

Without being behind the scenes it's impossible to say whether the lack of movement is on the players or on the coaches. One school of thought is that you keep your shape, very limited interchanging, so even if you lose the ball (which we are prone to do) we are not left with giant gaps. Arguably we do anyway. 

I also get tired of the argument that Joachim Löw was the sole architect of the German success. Klinsmann was the CEO, so he gets credit for putting the right people in the right place. Just as he gets credit for putting American fitness experts in that German camp. Sure Löw is a better tactician but someone had to see that and know well enough to put him in 2nd in command. I  mean, he was a lowly manager in the AUSTRIAN league. Klinsmann, had little prior contact with Low except for a few weeks that they worked together. Klinsmann could see, what many others clearly overlooked, that the Löw had a keen intellect for the game. 

Even in our own history, Arena and Bradley, Arena is big picture and Bradley was the keen intellect. Even at UVA Arena had a guy named George Gelnovatch who was a lot like Bradley—the sharp soccer mind. I'm not saying Arena is a dummy, btw.

Have you been to a Redskins game, GHH? I hope to one day make it to London and actually go to a match. Strangely enough, one of my boyhood goals was to see Manchester United play Liverpool. 

I hate the footballers go about things now. I don't know if it's always been the case. But you have guys like Gotze committing to a club in principal even before the transfer window is open. Players forcing their way out of clubs. At least in the NFL contracts mean something (to an extent). In Europe, clubs don't actually have any real rights to a player... it's like they are "renting" players.

Yes, I've been to a Redskins game man. Just not in the States as yet. I had the teenage thrill of picture perfect Ryp to Gary Clark long completion before Coach pulled them at the 1992 pre-season 17-15 'American Bowl' loss to the '9ers at Wembley. The only football games I've attended Stateside have been a HS game in a little town just outside of Dallas, Kemp (and man did that turn REAL ugly REAL fast when the local school was getting an ass whooping. They kinda' care about that **** down South I quickly discovered  :lol:); and the OU/ OSU 'Bedlam' game in Norman back in '09. A 27 zip Sooner shut-out. Brilliant experience. 

My next aim for a game Stateside is to see DCU at RFK. I HAVE to experience RFK whilst it's still standing. Besides, ren has promised me like a months worth of free beer. (Least that's how I remember the conversation.  :P.).

And yeah, since the Bosman ruling and the invention of the 'Greed is Good' League, aka the EPL; sickeningly most ALL the power is now with the players. It's gone WAY too far the other way and boy do many of them abuse it in most every facet. Just one of the many ills with the modern game. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Yes, I've been to a Redskins game man. Just not in the States as yet. I had the teenage thrill of picture perfect Ryp to Gary Clark long completion before Coach pulled them at the 1992 pre-season 17-15 'American Bowl' loss to the '9ers at Wembley. The only football games I've attended Stateside have been a HS game in a little town just outside of Dallas, Kemp (and man did that turn REAL ugly REAL fast when the local school was getting an ass whooping. They kinda' care about that **** down South I quickly discovered  :lol:); and the OU/ OSU 'Bedlam' game in Norman back in '09. A 27 zip Sooner shut-out. Brilliant experience. 

My next aim for a game Stateside is to see DCU at RFK. I HAVE to experience RFK whilst it's still standing. Besides, ren has promised me like a months worth of free beer. (Least that's how I remember the conversation.  :P.).

And yeah, since the Bosman ruling and the invention of the 'Greed is Good' League, aka the EPL; sickeningly most ALL the power is now with the players. It's gone WAY too far the other way and boy do many of them abuse it in most every facet. Just one of the many ills with the modern game. 

Hail. 

Offer still stands! Mostly because you need at least that much beer to get through a DCU game these days :(

Suarez gone. Confirmed by the player himself. 

Thank you the (not so) 'Great' British public and racist, xenophobic National media. (And that's not said lighthearted or jokingly after the disgraceful, concerted witch-hunt against the player.).

You've got what you wanted and driven a World class talent out of England and the Premiership. 

If Falcao is going for £ 54 million, then Boston better hold out for at least £ 50 million. They hold ALL the cards with him just recently signed a new contract. Time to show you've got the big ones FSG!

Hail. 

At least the club have put out an official statement claiming he is not for sale. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be gone. I think they are strengthening their position to get a better return...

Pretty much man. That was more or less word for word the statement they put out when Torres had his petulant lil' strop and decided to chase Russian money.

Hail.

If Torres was worth 50 euros, how could Suarez go for 40? I don't care how he feels, they can't sell him for less than 50...

Absolutely J man. As I said over the page, it"s now time for Boston to play hardball. Luis signed a 4 year deal the start of last season. He's just followed that with a campaign through which he was the best forward in England and one of the best anywhere in the World. We hold ALL the cards. The bidding should start at 50 million.

Anything less and you begin to wonder if it's more of the same from one ownership to the next.

Hail.

Can't wait for people to say they turned the corner and are a contender for the cup, after beating germanys reserves, only a few days removed from being throttled by belgium.... great performance so far, but this happens once a year (us beats a highly ranked team) but lets be real here, there may he 1 starter on germany who makes the squad next year

Let us have our moment

We freaking beat Germany

I haven't seen Germany this defeated by the Americans since 1945

It was a great win, but you're kidding yourself if you think this was the #2 ranked team in the weird they beat lol

Let us have our moment We freaking beat Germany I haven't seen Germany this defeated by the Americans since 1945

Lol. Brilliant last line.

Congrats guys. It may of been a weakened German side. They may of had the attitude of being on their vacations they should be on already. (Just musing. Never saw the game.). But they still called upon Jansen, Mertesacker, Podolski and Klose. All of whom have a good chance of starting for them next summer. For a relatively young soccer Nation like the US, that is a tremendous result regardless and deserves to be celebrated.

Next summers hosts ripped England apart for much of tonight's friendly in Rio. But Brazil being Brazil couldn't defend and somehow ended up drawing 2-2. The Brazilians taking their foot off the gas second half had a lot to do with the final result too.

My money's still on Spain to retain and become the first Nation to win three majors in a row.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Let us have our moment We freaking beat Germany I haven't seen Germany this defeated by the Americans since 1945

Lol. Brilliant last line.

Congrats guys. It may of been a weakened German side. They may of had the attitude of being on their vacations they should be on already. (Just musing. Never saw the game.). But they still called upon Jansen, Mertesacker, Podolski and Klose. All of whom have a good chance of starting for them next summer. For a relatively young soccer Nation like the US, that is a tremendous result regardless and deserves to be celebrated.

Next summers hosts ripped England apart for much of tonight's friendly in Rio. But Brazil being Brazil couldn't defend and somehow ended up drawing 2-2. The Brazilians taking their foot off the gas second half had a lot to do with the final result too.

My money's still on Spain to retain and become the first Nation to win three majors in a row.

Hail.

I'm such a wet blanket . . . but the victory feels hollow. We basically won by a margin of a goalkeeping howler worse than Robert Green's against a German reserve squad. Altidore's finish was fantastic. Not that I'm not happy, it just doesn't tell us much. 

But it's scary how deep Germany is. No one from Bayern, Dortmund or Madrid played and I still don't know if any of our guys would unequivocally start ahead of them if they were German (wait). 

Shut up Canada

What's the context of this, ix? Were Canadians yapping?