Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

One day, I shall take you up on that offer.

But bsf, ren and Elessar at least need to be there too. I may talk dead funny, but man we'd have a blast. Oh yeah, and the #7 shirts MINE! Or we might well be going at it. :ols:

Hail.

That would be awesome. When I lived in DC half a decade ago (sniff) there was talk around here of putting together an ES team. Would've been fun.

I think we could've had some dope uniforms. Invited the rest of the message board to come cheer us on. :D

---------- Post added October-7th-2012 at 08:43 PM ----------

when I said stopped, I mean it wasnt as egregious as it was when he first arrived. He got a lot better his last 3 years in England. Before he was teetering to where Suarez is right now with his diving, whereas he moved towards Gerrard level of diving by the time he left United.

Personally, I thought it got worse in his last years at Utd. His free kick had become so devastating that he was going down on any contact.

The ridiculous thing is that the way 99% of players dive looks nothing like what a real foul looks like. The thing that aggravates me the most is the covering of the face.

In my years of reffing anything from U-littles to semi-pro soccer, NO ONE covers their face when they are really in pain. Human nature has us grab the area that is injured. I've seen my share of compound fractures and bad lacerations.

I get it, Im trolling because I think Suarez needs to stop diving and embellishing contact and just play through things in order to gain respect from the refs like Cronaldo had to do.

Meanwhile, the Liverpool sympathizer thinks that 2-3 players on every team dives like Suarez, yet im the one trolling.

He will never gain respect from refs until he calms it down, but he wont because thats the way he plays. The diving goes along with his nutmegging and ability to beat a defender one v one.

---------- Post added October-7th-2012 at 08:59 PM ----------

Personally, I thought it got worse in his last years at Utd. His free kick had become so devastating that he was going down on any contact.

The ridiculous thing is that the way 99% of players dive looks nothing like what a real foul looks like. The thing that aggravates me the most is the covering of the face.

In my years of reffing anything from U-littles to semi-pro soccer, NO ONE covers their face when they are really in pain. Human nature has us grab the area that is injured. I've seen my share of compound fractures and bad lacerations.

I think dude improved a lot, his first few years in the Premier League he was going over at every bit of contact. If you breathed on him, he fell over. If he failed on a dribble he would fall over. He improved A LOT his last 3 years in England. Its now back to the mess again in Spain tho.

And I never understand the need to grab your face when you are fouled. I guess its more honor in the game at lower levels than it is in the bigger leagues. Ive never noticed it when I played a lot in college, never saw it in college soccer either. I just wonder what changes when they reach professional levels, that players need to embellish every bit of contact.

The only way to limit it in the top leagues is to do what Serie A and MLS have done, which is have a panel go over incidents afterwards and access monetary penalties, and issue retroactive cards. It wont ever end diving, but I feel that could create a positive change versus how it is now.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

Once they got Lloris it was only a matter of time. AVB seems to always do things his way, too.

I'm not so sure it's 'his way', or more pressure from above to get the expensive deadline day signing off the bench and onto the park.

I am sure Brad sure as heck didn't deserve to be dropped. Dangerous game, as Friedel's still quality and would command a start at most clubs and live upto it too. You can't carry two quality 'keepers these days. One always wants to play. And with Cudicini their too, I think today was the begining of the end of Brad's Tottenham career.

Modern day soccer can really suck at times.

---------- Post added October-7th-2012 at 09:36 PM ----------

..... Meanwhile, the Liverpool sympathizer thinks that 2-3 players on every team dives like Suarez, yet im the one trolling. ......

There's Liverpool sympathizers on here?

Huh. Here's me thinking people who disagreed with you were just offering an impartial opinion. Kinda' like you'd say you where. But it turns out their just 'sympathizers' to what ever opposing view they happen to take.

Who knew? :whoknows:

*Darn it. I tried SO hard to resist the urge .....

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

There's Liverpool sympathizers on here?

Huh. Here's me thinking people who disagreed with you were just offering an impartial opinion. Kinda' like you'd say you where. But it turns out their just 'sympathizers' to what ever opposing view they happen to take.

Who knew? :whoknows:

*Darn it. I tried SO hard to resist the urge .....

Hail.

who are the 2-3 players on every team that dives like Suarez? You cant a claim, and then not back up that claim with examples. And yes, from what I have read on this thread some posters do sympathize with Liverpool. Nothing is wrong with that at all, but I cant accept a sympathizer trying to dismiss Suarez's embellishments and diving by saying 2-3 players on each premiership team does it. I need names before I can take it serious, but I doubt anyone can name 2-3 players on each premiership team because the claim is not true.

All have said is that Suarez needs to stay on his feet more to earn respect from the refs. Do you disagree with that? What I also said is that 2 wrongs do not make a right (Suarez diving, and officials punishing Suarez for his diving by not calling legit fouls on him). From what I have read, no one has actually disagreed with me there.

One disagreement is with Cronaldo lowering his diving in subsequent years in the Premier League. Me and Elessar disagreed but I didnt say his opinion was invalid because of a bias, and he didnt say my opinion was invalid.

The other is that Suarez only dives and embellishes because he does not get the calls he deserves, which I again say is bunk. Ever since I first saw him when he played in the u20s world cup in '07, he has always liked taking dives to con the refs. Its how he plays, and he carried that forward at Ajax and he does it today at Liverpool.

So my buds and I are coming up for the Oct 20th home game. DCU can clinch a playoff spot with a win or tie. I'm planning to stop by the store- I just bought a new authentic 2012 off ebay for like 40 so I plan to go customize it. I'm planning to get "Bloody Eagle" (medieval torture plus DCU eagle) with a number 8 or 10(I haven't settled on a number yet. Any suggestions? lol). I plan to add a Screamin Eagles patch while I'm there since that's always been my group even if I didn't renew this year.

(It will be the second game for one of my buds. Man first he got a packed house for his first game and victory. Now he gets a traditional rival with playoffs on the line. He's getting some good first games to see)

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

I'm not so sure it's 'his way', or more pressure from above to get the expensive deadline day signing off the bench and onto the park.

I am sure Brad sure as heck didn't deserve to be dropped. Dangerous game, as Friedel's still quality and would command a start at most clubs and live upto it too. You can't carry two quality 'keepers these days. One always wants to play. And with Cudicini their too, I think today was the begining of the end of Brad's Tottenham career.

Modern day soccer can really suck at times.

Still, it was a matter of time. I understand their desire for a more long term solution in goal, but to get Lloris meant that you'd have to push Brad aside sooner rather than later. So yeah, you're probably right about AVB receiving pressure. It's impressive (I guess that's the word) the way Tottenham has stocked keepers.

A mistake that both Rovers and Villa have made is thinking that Brad was done.

Still, it was a matter of time. I understand their desire for a more long term solution in goal, but to get Lloris meant that you'd have to push Brad aside sooner rather than later. So yeah, you're probably right about AVB receiving pressure. It's impressive (I guess that's the word) the way Tottenham has stocked keepers.

A mistake that both Rovers and Villa have made is thinking that Brad was done.

I dont think Rovers thought he was done, tbf. Friedel wanted out.

Villa were shedding salary and Friedel's contract was up.

I still dont believe the guy is done even if he is not at the standards he was 5 years ago, but Spurs treated him wrong.

Meh, in pro-sports you have to go with who gives you the best chance to win today. Lloris needs a shot to prove his quality but he could very well find himself back on the bench right quick. Managers see different things in diff. players and some managers don't like old goalkeepers.

I wasn't disagreeing with you at all Asiatic on Suarez. I wouldn't even argue that he's getting as bad a reputation as Ronaldo and is right up there among the worst in the history of the Premier League. Rodgers seriously needs to cut this out of his game as it's not only costing Suarez, it's costing the club the amount of times he does have legitimate cases when he's been taking out.

I was just making an observation on your 'sympathiser' comment. And general responses to others who take a differing view. (Me aside, before you mistake that as something I've taken personally.).

Hail.

Meh, in pro-sports you have to go with who gives you the best chance to win today. Lloris needs a shot to prove his quality but he could very well find himself back on the bench right quick. Managers see different things in diff. players and some managers don't like old goalkeepers.

I agree to a point. The issue I have with dropping Friedel is that he did nothing to warrant a dropping this season.

If you were going to make the move to drop Friedel, it should have been made this summer instead of after almost 2 months of play.

What this move shows to me is that a)Lloris was not in the plans until he somehow popped up late in the window and Levy just made a move b)AVB probably had nothing to do with the Lloris signing and was pressured to play him. Its just a bad precedent.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 10:01 AM ----------

I wasn't disagreeing with you at all Asiatic on Suarez. I wouldn't even argue that he's getting as bad a reputation as Ronaldo and is right up there among the worst in the history of the Premier League. Rodgers seriously needs to cut this out of his game as it's not only costing Suarez, it's costing the club the amount of times he does have legitimate cases when he's been taking out.

I was just making an observation on your 'sympathiser' comment. And general responses to others who take a differing view. (Me aside, before you mistake that as something I've taken personally.).

Hail.

the thing is when I propose a different viewpoint, I am called a troll who is looking for bites. Whats the difference between me saying some are Liverpool sympathizers, and you and others calling me a troll?

Especially since my comments on this issue, as you stated that you agree with, were called trolling originally?

How about we just slow down on the categorizing of statements and each other as posters, and just look at each comment individually and debate them on an individual standpoint?

I agree to a point. The issue I have with dropping Friedel is that he did nothing to warrant a dropping this season.

If you were going to make the move to drop Friedel, it should have been made this summer instead of after almost 2 months of play.

Nothing? I'd question anyone's intelligence for choosing to play for Sp*rs.:evilg:

For the record, I've never called you a 'troll' Asiatic. (Now who's generalising?).

But it's not a stretch to see why anyone would think that oft times from the inflammatory nature of some of your posts. You've certainly pushed the connotations of the word to the extreme on many occasions. Take that for what it's worth. Just an observation.

And not that it matters to the above, but I agreed with you on Suarez and diving. A lot of the other comparisons and opinion, not so much.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 09:23 AM ----------

Nothing? I'd question anyone's intelligence for choosing to play for Sp*rs.:evilg:

Hey you. Stop knocking North London's most successful European club. And you call yourselves 'big.' :evilg:

Hail.

Tony Pulis is the worst person managing a premiership side. What a scoundrel he is. No comment on Huth's stamp, predictably the FA says nothing because they are idiots. But he flaps his gums about Suarez's dive. I cant wait for him and his cowardly tactics and actions to be relegated out the league, which I feel will happen this season.

---------- Post added October-8th-2012 at 12:37 PM ----------

sad story from MLS last night

Slasher slits throat of 25-year-old near Union Square - NY Daily News

the thing is when I propose a different viewpoint, I am called a troll who is looking for bites. Whats the difference between me saying some are Liverpool sympathizers, and you and others calling me a troll?

Especially since my comments on this issue, as you stated that you agree with, were called trolling originally?

How about we just slow down on the categorizing of statements and each other as posters, and just look at each comment individually and debate them on an individual standpoint?

Since I am the one who called you a troll, I will respond. First of all, everyone agrees that Suarez should stay on his feet (read the posts). Most people on this section (a soccer thread on a football board) share ideas on the game we love. I do not question your passion for the game. I do not question your knowledge of the game. If someone finds themselves in a disagreement with you, they will be at it for hours. You pick what you want to comprehend and what you want to ignore. You come across as arrogant and combative (thus, the troll comment). While you are not always this way, but anyone can see when its coming. I have no problem with different opinions and probably shouldn't have called you a troll. (I would apologize, but don't know if it would come across as sincere or sarcastic)

The report above made the local evening paper here tonight: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/10/08/southport-football-coach-michael-jones-murdered-in-new-york-100252-31992650/

Terribly tragic, seemingly motiveless murder of a young man who went to the States chasing his dream.

Condolences to Mr Jones family. God rest.

Hail.

*Edit* I discovered this morning that a colleague at the bank one of my bessie mates works at is the young mans father. Small World.

BTW, The tickets I got for me and my 3 buds are in the 3rd row of the supporter section near the Screamin Eagles. I saw them the other night and snatched them. My friends nearly fainted when they heard what tickets I got for us. I was like "I'm going home". My barra brava bud will be working his DCU internship so he's stuck sadly. My bud who had his first MLS game a few weeks ago nearly dropped dead when he found out where we were sitting. His mind was blown for his first game in 200s :ols:. Man I'm psyched. Playoffs on the line against a traditional rival. Plus I can't wait to take my new jersey up to customize it. Only 10 days.

(I had been working crazy hours at work due a major project for the company and I thought I'd have to give them up. I checked with the VP of the department. She's like "No, you been here on saturdays and late constantly. Have fun. :)"

Well, Argentina are looking like a very strong team as of late. They totally controlled that game against Uruguay tonight. And not too long ago, I was saying that Uruguay was going to be the team to look out for leading up to and going into the next World Cup. Of course, there is still a lot of time left before the World Cup but as of right now, next to Brazil, Argentina is looking like the strongest team in South America right now.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/what-an-academic-who-wrote-her-dissertation-on-trolls-thinks-of-violentacrez/263631/#

Last week, Adrian Chen at Gawker published a long profile of infamous Reddit moderator Violentacrez, described as "the biggest troll on the web." In addition to exposing Violentacrez' real-life identity, Chen's profile reveals the seedy underbelly of Reddit, a massive social news aggregator that touts itself as the "front page of the internet." Given Reddit's astounding traffic stats -- the site attracted 42 million unique visitors just last month-- this assertion isn't that far off. Reddit has become a cultural juggernaut; it would stand to reason, then, that one of the biggest sites on the web would harbor one of the biggest trolls on the web. The question is, what exactly does that label mean? If recent media coverage is any indication, the term "trolling" includes everything from harmless, and perhaps even helpful, mischief to defamation to watching leaked crime scene videos to outright harassment (sometimes described as "cyberbullying"), either of someone known to the troll or high-profile public figures.