Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Anyone here play in local leagues or something? I've been playing since I was 4 but stopped for like 6 years gonna start playing again.

I played in two leagues in/around DC. One was pretty big - Northern Virginia Adult Soccer Association (I believe Forehead said he also played in that league at one point), and this summer boysetsfire and I played through Metro Sports Leagues in their 7 v 7 division.

If you're getting back into playing after a break I'd suggest a coed league. It's a lot of fun because you can find competitive teams but people aren't usually out for blood. Plus it's a great way to meet people.

I would like to introduce you guys to The Südtribüne, the largest free-standing grandstand in Europe. It seats 25,000 fans and is part of Borussia Dortmund's (Bundesliga) stadium, Westfalenstadion, which has a total capacity of 81,000+.

800px-S%C3%BCdtrib%C3%BCne.jpg

Awesome fans are awesome

gUsFqNgD02Y&p=4A91386DD9E9EC80&playnext=1&index=41

Boo this man! :pfft:

Tough loss today. Your big guys (Rovers) were really giving us trouble. I was pretty confident that we'd win, but you never know. Definitely took Arsenal out of its rhythm today.

I think a lot of times, Arsenal is too stubborn and won't play any other way even if it makes scoring goals easier. I think that's the approach I like about Alex Ferguson, just get the goals doesn't matter how we do it—pretty, ugly, accidental—we'll take all of 'em. Arsenal won't even pull the trigger from beyond the area.

Anyone else here hate Chelsea?

Don't get me wrong, I respect the fact that they have great players but I can't stand to watch their brand of football. On Sundays, I watch highlights of EPL games and I can't even bring myself to watch 5 minutes of it (unless I know they lost). It's so soulless and mechanical.

Anyone else here hate Chelsea?

Don't get me wrong, I respect the fact that they have great players but I can't stand to watch their brand of football. On Sundays, I watch highlights of EPL games and I can't even bring myself to watch 5 minutes of it (unless I know they lost). It's so soulless and mechanical.

It can be methodical to say the least. Cant say I hate it but it can make for fairly boring games. Soulless is also how I would describe Liverpool. I'm old enough to remember the Liverpool teams of the mid and late 70's that could produce some fantastic, explosive football with goals from anywhere on the field. The current version hasnt been close for a long time. When I think on it Liverpool-Chelsea games of recent years have been dreadful to watch.

Edited by thehogs

It can be methodical to say the least. Cant say I hate it but it can make for fairly boring games. Soulless is also how I would describe Liverpool. I'm old enough to remember the Liverpool teams of the mid and late 70's that could produce some fantastic, explosive football with goals from anywhere on the field. The current version hasnt been close for a long time. When I think on it Liverpool-Chelsea games of recent years have been dreadful to watch.

Agreed. It only works with the caliber of players they have, which is not a criticism since even Barca only works with the caliber of players they have. Part of the reason I can't watch Serie A matches—it's a lot of this type of play.

Even in the mid-80s L'pool seemed to be the Barca/Arsenal of their day. I was recently watching highlights from that era with John Barnes and Ian Rush.

you know what? we could have definitely moved towards a far more fluid style of football this year with the acquisitions we have made. However, (and im not sure if roy is totally responsible for this or if rbs or purslow have anything to do with it), we appaer to be in the process of dismantling it.

Loaning out Aquilani is really ****ing stupid. He is clearly the most technically gifted player in the squad, not to mention his first rate movement and passing. Also he is very attacking. Similar sort of drive to gerrard. He makes great runs and he really moves the attack forward all by himself.

The last quarter of last season was actually a little bit enjoyable because with aquilani healthy, and adding maxi, the football we played was fantastic. Sharp interchanges.

Also, that high tempo attack makes lucas' passing game much more effective. He was looking really good at the end of last year and now he might be leaving. What utter horse****e.

he then buys poulsen who might as well be identical to lucas. The lineup he put out today against WBA AT HOME was nothing short of pathetic. 2 holding mids with 2 grinders in kuyt and jova on the 'wings'.

Talk about sucking all the creativity out of the side. Even then, we were being opened up all game long down the flanks. Very nerve-wrecking.

We had to rely on some torres magic again for the millionth time.

I hope Roy has a clear plan in mind because right now im less than impressed.

What manager goes to Man City away trying to play 442 with gerrard and lucas in center midfield. We got destroyed in the first half of that game. We had no control of the ball and it was actually very reminiscent of the arse game a couple weeks ago.

I hope he does better with the next team slection because this one today left a lot to be desired.

Can't say I agree with what you say about Aquilani. And while it's not fair to blame our lack of goal production squarely at his feet (he actually had quite a few assists), our inability to replace Xabi Alonso's overall creativity (not necessarily assists but passing and link-up play) was the reason we went from free-scoring in 2008-9 to impotent in 2009-10.

He showed a glimpse or two but that's not enough in this league. Glimpses are something you hope to see from rising youngsters, not players that you've invested £20million. Those kinds of purchases you expect more from. Perhaps the club saw this as the best way of recouping some money they might have written off?

A simpler truth is that Roy just prefers Joe Cole in the pocket and Aquilani can't play anywhere else and decided to cash in.

Edited by Harwich Hog

Can't say I agree with what you say about Aquilani. And while it's not fair to blame our lack of goal production squarely at his feet (he actually had quite a few assists), our inability to replace Xabi Alonso's overall creativity (not necessarily assists but passing and link-up play) was the reason we went from free-scoring in 2008-9 to impotent in 2009-10.

He showed a glimpse or two but that's not enough in this league. Glimpses are something you hope to see from rising youngsters, not players that you've invested £20million. Those kinds of purchases you expect more from. Perhaps the club saw this as the best way of recouping some money they might have written off?

A simpler truth is that Roy just prefers Joe Cole in the pocket and Aquilani can't play anywhere else and decided to cash in.

Are u kidding me?

He showed glimpses? He only had a little bit of time. He was probably our best player in the last few months of the season. If he had been fit the whole season he would have transformed our game. IMHO, Xabi Alonso was a big crutch used by every player. They never had to move off the ball or find space cause alonso would find them anywhere. When he left we were always going to struggle because the players had been so spoiled.

BTW, Aquilani is a much more creative player than alonso. Alonso is just the best passer in the world and can therefore control games from deep whereas Aquilani moves all over the final third looking for space and incisive passes and makes an impact by constantly passing and moving. He would have more than made up for alonso's departure given time but he wasn't. Its a big mistake in my mind and one I hope wasn't made by Roy because I'm already discouraged by his team selections and tactics.

IMO, under Rafa, Aquilani would have made us a much more potent side.

Are we getting any new dynamite players by 2014?

This team will be a little more experienced but don't see it getting much better unless someone comes out of the woodwork or someone we already know becomes awesome in 4 years.

Are Landon and Beasley much much better since we were first introduced to them in Japan/Korea? Is Dempsey much better than he was in Germany?

I'm optimistic beyond though in 2018, 2022... there are more and more players coming up that'll be at the level of Dempsey and Landon.

Tough loss today. Your big guys (Rovers) were really giving us trouble. I was pretty confident that we'd win, but you never know. Definitely took Arsenal out of its rhythm today.

I think a lot of times, Arsenal is too stubborn and won't play any other way even if it makes scoring goals easier. I think that's the approach I like about Alex Ferguson, just get the goals doesn't matter how we do it—pretty, ugly, accidental—we'll take all of 'em. Arsenal won't even pull the trigger from beyond the area.

Don't change your style of play man, or Steve McManaman won't give you his 'you deserve to win' speech! ;) I was pleased with the effort overall, but the substitutions were odd. Sam took out just about every attacking option, and then put Samba at forward?! Having only 3 points at this phase isn't that great. With Manchester City up next it could be a long road out of this hole. Granted all of the teams played thus far have a bit more talent and placed higher last year. That Everton result was a bit lucky as well. If Timmay held that ball it was a draw.

Bradley is extended. He better get his act together by 2014 Brazil.

This is dreadful news.

Sadly, I think we beat Ghana if not for his stupid decision to put in Findley and Clark.

Quite possible. His mismanagement of the roster was pretty atrocious.

Edited by Old Bay

• 1 month later...
Amid the takeover turmoil, Liverpool is mired in the relegation zone after its worst start to a league season since 1953.

"As every Liverpool fan knows, the most nerve-racking way to win a match is by a penalty shootout," club chairman Martin Broughton said. "But in the end, as long as you get the right result, it's worth the wait. We've got the right result."

Broughton said the deal "comprehensively resolves the pressing issue of the club's debt and should give staff, players and fans great confidence regarding the future of Liverpool FC."

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5687762/boston-red-sox-owners-complete-476m-liverpool-deal?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5693786/fifa-looking-reports-bribery-world-cup-bidding

FIFA investigating Cup bribery claims

LONDON -- FIFA said it will examine evidence from a British newspaper alleging that two executive committee members offered to sell their votes on World Cup hosts.

The Sunday Times filmed Amos Adamu of Nigeria and Oceania Football Confederation president Reynald Temarii of Tahiti asking for money to fund projects.

The reporters were posing as lobbyists for a consortium of American companies purporting to help bring the World Cup back to the United States. No money changed hands.

"The Sunday Times report today makes it clear, but it bears emphasis and repeating, that the USA Bid Committee had zero involvement with any aspect of the reporting that resulted in this story," U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati, chairman of the USA Bid Committee, said in a statement to The Associated Press. "This is a matter that is totally under the governance of FIFA, and therefore we will have no further comment."

Adamu and Temarii, who could not be reached for comment, are on the 24-member committee which votes on the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups on Dec. 2 in Zurich.

"FIFA and the FIFA ethics committee have closely monitored the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups and will continue to do so," soccer's governing body said in a statement. "FIFA has already requested to receive all of the information and documents related to this matter, and is awaiting to receive this material.

After all the drama Rooney signs a 5 year extension with United

Those who noticed my posts in the RT thread observed that Rooney was not content with United and was interested in going to City

Rumors have been debunked

Yes

Edited by ixcuincle