Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

We have a ridiculous penalty record that is second to none. 14- 4 I believe in competitive games. Including shoot-outs to win 2 European Cup finals, an FA Cup final and 2 previous League Cup finals. LOVE penalty shoot-outs. It's what L'pool do. We get to penalties, and you ALWAYS believe we'll win. Never subscribed to the 'it's a lottery' notion or it's a 'cruel way' to lose. It's a solid test of nerve and you either have it or don't. And today we didn't with the most abysmal set of spot-kicks I've ever seen from us. (Coutinho ..... Just WTF was that lad? Seriously. WTF was THAT?). And I've seen 16 of those 18 shoot-outs live. So absolutely NO complaints at losing that way. City held their nerve and we completely bottled it. (Like £terling did the game but he has a winners medal and we don't so we'll leave that.). 

City fully deserved it overall. We were pretty darn abysmal. When your first serious shot on target  is the equalising goal 7 minutes from time, in a Cup Final, you know you've been poor. Mingolet made some top draw saves. But they matter little when he makes such a monumental balls up as the goal. Please God let this be his last season. Believe it was a stonewall penalty for City. Not sure on the Moreno one. Need to see some highlights. But Oliver was abysmal all game. Just HOW many fouls did Fernando and Kompany get away with before they finally got the token bookings? Thought Lucas was our MOTM by a long chalk. Midfield absolutely overrun for most the game and very little up front.(Arguably Sturridge's poorest game in a L'pool shirt. Would of had him off.). Just so, so disappointing that City have a clown in goal (by City fans own ready admission) that we failed to test much of anything. Massive opportunity blown. 

Bitterly disappointed because after riding our luck like we did to then drag ourselves into the extra half hour with the equaliser, like I say you then expect L'pool to win the shoot-out because it's what we do. But massive congratulations to City. Fully deserved win on major chances created. 

So now we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and get ready for City again Wednesday and the mega Europa tie against their Salford neighbours.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

We have a ridiculous penalty record that is second to none. 14- 4 I believe in competitive games. Including shoot-outs to win 2 European Cup finals, an FA Cup final and 2 previous League Cup finals. LOVE penalty shoot-outs. It's what L'pool do. We get to penalties, and you ALWAYS believe we'll win. Never subscribed to the 'it's a lottery' notion or it's a 'cruel way' to lose. It's a solid test of nerve and you either have it or don't. And today we didn't with the most abysmal set of spot-kicks I've ever seen from us. (Coutinho ..... Just WTF was that lad? Seriously. WTF was THAT?). And I've seen 16 of those 18 shoot-outs live. So absolutely NO complaints at losing that way. City held their nerve and we completely bottled it. (Like £terling did the game but he has a winners medal and we don't so we'll leave that.). 

City fully deserved it overall. We were pretty darn abysmal. When your first serious shot on target  is the equalising goal 7 minutes from time, in a Cup Final, you know you've been poor. Mingolet made some top draw saves. But they matter little when he makes such a monumental balls up as the goal. Please God let this be his last season. Believe it was a stonewall penalty for City. Not sure on the Moreno one. Need to see some highlights. But Oliver was abysmal all game. Just HOW many fouls did Fernando and Kompany get away with before they finally got the token bookings? Thought Lucas was our MOTM by a long chalk. Midfield absolutely overrun for most the game and very little up front.(Arguably Sturridge's poorest game in a L'pool shirt. Would of had him off.). Just so, so disappointing that City have a clown in goal (by City fans own ready admission) that we failed to test much of anything. Massive opportunity blown. 

Bitterly disappointed because after riding our luck like we did to then drag ourselves into the extra half hour with the equaliser, like I say you then expect L'pool to win the shoot-out because it's what we do. But massive congratulations to City. Fully deserved win on major chances created. 

So now we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and get ready for City again Wednesday and the mega Europa tie against their Salford neighbours.

Hail. 

100% agree with the part in BOLD above.  PKs are all about your mental fortitude - every decent player can score from 12 yards out, just make it part of winning a big match and you separate the great from the good.

Not excusing the ref, but I believe he didn't book as many folks because it was a 'big game' and didn't want to send someone off.  Completely disagree with this type of refereeing, but too often these finals see refs afraid to make the "big call".  

Mignolet is the ultimate schizophrenic goalkeeper.  Great saves, then a relatively easy one goes through.  Then, more big saves.  In PKs he was clearly the better keeper, but city hit the corners of the goal better that Pool.  And I hate those damn 3 steps, almost completely stop, then one step for the kick types of PKs.  If goalie doesn't move, then your shot sucks and is saved.

Don't look not but Chelsea climbing the table  :)

All jokes aside, a comeback win at so'ton is a good result (never thought I'd say that).  Team is looking much stronger under Hiddink, even with rumors of Conte being penned in the coming days.  Fabregas, when given space, has the best vision in the league.  

Hazard a shell of himself, Costa as scrappy as ever, and the youngster kennedy with the rabona cross were all match takeaways.  

Needed some size the past 3-5 years.

Also need someone who can put on a solid service from wide, but Smith isn't even on the squad.

Yeah, we went from Kuyt, Stevie, and Suarez to Henderson, Milner, and Moreno... Hendo hits a good ball in about 20% of the time. 

Mignolet is the ultimate schizophrenic goalkeeper.  Great saves, then a relatively easy one goes through.  Then, more big saves.  In PKs he was clearly the better keeper, but city hit the corners of the goal better that Pool.  And I hate those damn 3 steps, almost completely stop, then one step for the kick types of PKs.  If goalie doesn't move, then your shot sucks and is saved.

First, I think Neuer is one of the most over-rated keepers in the world.  For me it's De Gea and it's not really even close. 

But second, Mignolet "guessed" correctly, yes.  He wasn't "on" the pens and he wasn't the better keeper.

Did you see Willy's face and eyes during the shootout?  Dude was literally unconscious in the zone.  Our pens weren't the best be they still needed saving and for him to save FOUR was ridiculous.

First, I think Neuer is one of the most over-rated keepers in the world.  For me it's De Gea and it's not really even close. 

But second, Mignolet "guessed" correctly, yes.  He wasn't "on" the pens and he wasn't the better keeper.

Did you see Willy's face and eyes during the shootout?  Dude was literally unconscious in the zone.  Our pens weren't the best be they still needed saving and for him to save FOUR was ridiculous.

Neuer overrated.  Totally agree.

Best GK in the world for me is either Cech or Buffon (2 years ago would say definitely Buffon).  I am biased with Cech as he's a Chelsea legend.  Buffon has been declining for quite some time so maybe it's just nostalgia speaking.  

De Gea is one of the world's best and if not better than Neuer, he's right next to him.  

Edited by SkinssRvA

Is this bellend, and his pay masters, for real? ..... http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-owners-shaken-accusations-10972839

Hell, only last week they tried it on again by initially pricing the Utd game at top whack, before a hasty climb down within a few hours after the fan backlash on social media and then both the SOS and United Supporters Trust jointly approaching the club to say 'WTF are you doing? AGAIN?' Not once, but TWICE in a matter of weeks you've been forced to backtrack on prices down to fan reaction over extortionate prices. . But you've been 'shaken' by accusations of greed huh like they aren't justified? 

Here's a thought Ian ..... Start being smart, stop being such a bunch of underhand greedy ****s to start with and you wouldn't have to bow to any fan pressure. 

Hail. 

What is a midweek tie? Is tie just another word for match in this context, or is it a particular kind of match? It doesn't appear to be referring to a draw, because I've seen it used in matches that have not yet been played.

What is a midweek tie? Is tie just another word for match in this context, or is it a particular kind of match? It doesn't appear to be referring to a draw, because I've seen it used in matches that have not yet been played.

game

British English one game, especially of football, that is part of a larger competition

tie against
pronsentencea.gifEngland's World Cup tie against Argentina
first round/second round etc tie
home/away tie

In the cases you reference, it just means a game or match.

Exactly what it suggests. A midweek game. The 'tie' being a cup competition game, aka a 'cup tie.'

So a midweek cup tie. What match are we on about out of interest?

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven