Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Middlesbrough are very well organised and stingy as all heck defensively. Won't be a cake walk. 

Hail. 

That's a lot to ask from Boro to go into the Etihad and then into the Emirates.  Tough, tough draw.  But they played well against City.

Fair point made earlier that City had almost literally just gotten off the plane though.

Did the unfortunate Frey not call Evra a racist slur too?

Hail. 

Watched the video of it earlier today, Evra just looked like a demon when he was holding that ice bag on his head and Frey was laying down.

Dude. Rosicky, Santi, and Coquelin are Arsenal's best midfielders right now and playing our best football of the year. Wouldn't have guessed. Rosicky has been a joy to watch this season—hope he keeps having a great year for him.

I've always been a HUGE fan of Santi.  Arsene kept him on the bench for a while or he was injured, one of the two (recently) and I was like - please sell him to us. lol

He has the best vision on your team and it's not even close.

I've always been a HUGE fan of Santi.  Arsene kept him on the bench for a while or he was injured, one of the two (recently) and I was like - please sell him to us. lol

And Brendan Rodgers is on record as saying the same about Joe 'we don't need no stinking forward passes' Allen. 

Yeah, I'll leave it. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

And Brendan Rodgers is on record as saying the same about Joe 'we don't need no stinking forward passes' Allen. 

Yeah, I'll leave it. 

Hail. 

Brendan has 3 clear cut favorites... Glen, Enrique, and Joe ****ing Allen. 

Hilarious video from the Redmen TV one of the supporters post match just went all in on Joe Allen.  Can't post it here cause of the language, though.

• Like 1

Ozil has better vision than Santi.

But Santi's found himself in the CM position. He is actually our best performing deep CM this season, which probably surprises everyone.

Cant agree with Elessar on Rosicky. I love Super Tom, but he is only beast against Cannon Fodder. Against the better teams, his age always shows. Great player to bring on against the Cannon Fodder teams though, and he is one of the few guys who can close out a game.

I mean who on Arsenal is consistently good against big teams?

Theo? Lol

When I said top sides, I was widening my net to include those in the top 8. Outside of those clowns at Tottenham, he isnt good against those sides.

And hasnt been for the last two years.

Im just saddened we never saw him in his prime. Dude lost a season of football.

Great idea until a championship side ends up in the Champions League. 

They can play in Europa.  Why not?

Ozil has better vision than Santi.

But Santi's found himself in the CM position. He is actually our best performing deep CM this season, which probably surprises everyone.

Cant agree with Elessar on Rosicky. I love Super Tom, but he is only beast against Cannon Fodder. Against the better teams, his age always shows. Great player to bring on against the Cannon Fodder teams though, and he is one of the few guys who can close out a game.

Let me rephrase that, I think he is the best Creator/Facilitator on the team.

Not sure you can say the same for Ozil, at least in my opinion.  I think Ozil can be very good with a very good supporting cast.  Not sure Ozil makes anyone better.

What's Europa League? 

So it's similar to Champions League, but it's a lesser competition.  Like Champions League gets to Top 4 of the BPL, Europa normally gets 5 and 6 and the FA Cup Winner.

EDIT:  But just so we are clear...

The Champions League Trophy looks like this:

Maintain-Champions-League-football.jpg

The Europa Trophy Looks Like this:

article-1339247-003DF4C400000258-362_634

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

There is a sad reality in English football that is mostly being ignored as the massive funds from other countries piles in to some of the clubs there.  

This reality is why the FA Cup (and soon, the EPL title) are being considered as secondary (or thirdly) competitions.

This won't be a popular post, but I believe the rational fans will see at least some truth to it.

The EPL has decided to 'sell it's soul' out to the Oil giants/conglomerates of the world in order to get lots of good players. 

There are no good 'teams' at the top of the EPL.  There are simply groups of high paid players who join a club that pays the most.  Individual play wins the day for these teams, and that is why they struggle overall in the UCL and competitions like the FA and League Cups.  They are so reliant in a few players making great plays that true teams can beat them.

This weekend's FA Cup will be seen as some as an anomaly, but if you look at the past, it really isn't.  At some point, true English soccer fans really need to determine if money is OK and getting great players at a ridiculous cost is OK or if they want real 'teams' to represent them at a club level.

Edited by btfoom

I know you were being a little tongue-in-cheek, but most of that money comes from Asia, especially China/India, and Europe.

It was tongue-in-cheek, but I was more referring to the birth of the automobile. 

Or at least the affordable production of it.

• Like 2

What's Europa League? 

A place Arsenal wish they could be a part of next year.

Also, some place they belonged the last several years.

Or, another trophy that Wenger could say they dont' want to win, as opposed to that great 4th place trophy they seem to keep winning.

• Like 1

Let me rephrase that, I think he is the best Creator/Facilitator on the team.

Not sure you can say the same for Ozil, at least in my opinion.  I think Ozil can be very good with a very good supporting cast.  Not sure Ozil makes anyone better.

Ozil made the attack better last season than its been since Cesc.

He just got tired and was weak. Giroud was among the league leaders in goals when Ozil had first arrived and into the late winter.

Ramsey had that goal scoring run with Ozil on the pitch too. Ozil is a better creator than Cazorla.

Santi is a better facilitator, in that he can set the table but Ozil is the magician who can find guys in the final 3rd, and finds them quick. Ozil also just does not lose the ball. English fans just dont get Ozil's greatness.

Santi is having a great run of form, but he was dog crap for 12-15 months for Arsenal.

A place Arsenal wish they could be a part of next year.

Also, some place they belonged the last several years.

Or, another trophy that Wenger could say they dont' want to win, as opposed to that great 4th place trophy they seem to keep winning.

this is a very, very bad post.

There is a sad reality in English football that is mostly being ignored as the massive funds from other countries piles in to some of the clubs there.  

This reality is why the FA Cup (and soon, the EPL title) are being considered as secondary (or thirdly) competitions.

This won't be a popular post, but I believe the rational fans will see at least some truth to it.

The EPL has decided to 'sell it's soul' out to the Oil giants/conglomerates of the world in order to get lots of good players. 

There are no good 'teams' at the top of the EPL.  There are simply groups of high paid players who join a club that pays the most.  Individual play wins the day for these teams, and that is why they struggle overall in the UCL and competitions like the FA and League Cups.  They are so reliant in a few players making great plays that true teams can beat them.

This weekend's FA Cup will be seen as some as an anomaly, but if you look at the past, it really isn't.  At some point, true English soccer fans really need to determine if money is OK and getting great players at a ridiculous cost is OK or if they want real 'teams' to represent them at a club level.

that's a fair post BT, and my brother and I have this conversation a lot.  I think one thing that they can do to help keep it in check (should they choose to go there) is to lower the maximum number of non-English players that are allowed to be on each teams full roster.  I think now it's 16 or 18?  Maybe lower that by two or three.

The English game is the most fun to watch for me, maybe it's the history, maybe it's the parody, maybe it's the different styles.  But it's fun.

I also think you can keep things as is so long as you truly enforce FFP.  I mean... for all teams.

Ozil made the attack better last season than its been since Cesc.

He just got tired and was weak. Giroud was among the league leaders in goals when Ozil had first arrived and into the late winter.

Ramsey had that goal scoring run with Ozil on the pitch too. Ozil is a better creator than Cazorla.

Santi is a better facilitator, in that he can set the table but Ozil is the magician who can find guys in the final 3rd, and finds them quick. Ozil also just does not lose the ball. English fans just dont get Ozil's greatness.

Santi is having a great run of form, but he was dog crap for 12-15 months for Arsenal.

Ultimately it's your all's opinion I would trust the most cause you root for Arsenal and watch every match.  I'm just giving my outsiders opinion on who I think hurts other teams the most.

• Like 2

that's a fair post BT, and my brother and I have this conversation a lot.  I think one thing that they can do to help keep it in check (should they choose to go there) is to lower the maximum number of non-English players that are allowed to be on each teams full roster.  I think now it's 16 or 18?  Maybe lower that by two or three.

The English game is the most fun to watch for me, maybe it's the history, maybe it's the parody, maybe it's the different styles.  But it's fun.

I also think you can keep things as is so long as you truly enforce FFP.  I mean... for all teams.

Ultimately it's your all's opinion I would trust the most cause you root for Arsenal and watch every match.  I'm just giving my outsiders opinion on who I think hurts other teams the most.

First, when a team like Blackburn (or Liverpool, for that matter) face REAL consequences due to "FFP", but sides like Real, PSG, City, and Chelsea continue to skate by, you know the system is complete CRAP.

FFP needs to be the same for all clubs, not focused on those who are 'easy' targets.

As for the league, I agree that it can be exciting and great to watch.  I just think that 10 or so years ago it was more so, as there were actual 'teams' who put together a mix of youngsters moving up through the academy and other players, brought in to complete the team.  Sure, some teams poached players from 'smaller' sides, but that is the nature of the business.

Fast forward to today.  Who is the last player that Chelsea/City have produced from their younger sides?  They just don't have the time/patience to bring them in when they can simply buy just about whomever they wish.  Look at ManU, long time lauded for promoting the 'kids from 1993' into their side.  This year, they push out others and spend over 200 million.

The young English players could be great, but too many times their growth is being stunted  as the big money teams look for instant gratification and don't have the patience to groom younger players.

I fear a true great striker, Harry Kane, will end up being paid a ridiculous amount of money to move to a place like Chelsea/CIty (or even Real, if they think he's shiny enough), which would be great for his bank account, but will stunt his overall growth.

Lastly, believe it or not, I really like both Arsenal and Liverpool (I have a Pool banner in my office at work I bought in 1985 on a trip to London).  They are the only 2 EPL teams that I enjoy watching on a regular basis. Yes, I give Pool and Gunner fans some stick - heck, it's a message board - but it is really in good fun (like the stuff I took when Bayern got smacked last CL season by Real).  On the other hand, Citeh, Chelski, and ManUre bring out actual scorn and loathing from me.

• Like 2