Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Moss to Beast: '09 was my best season

airs0ft3r

Is it OK to root for two NFL teams?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to root for two NFL teams?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...my-best-season

ASHBURN, Va. -- The fact that Santana Moss is one of the most dangerous downfield receivers in the league didn't really matter in 2009. By the time Moss reached top speed, quarterback Jason Campbell was usually in the clutches of a defensive end. And the fact that Jim Zorn had his play-calling duties stripped a few weeks into the season only served to make things more confusing.

That's why I was a little surprised Friday when Moss informed me that '09 might have been his best season as a pro. He averaged a career-low 12.9 yards per reception and only had three touchdowns. So I gave him a confusing look.

"I know it sounds crazy, but even when the going got tough, I was able to stand strong," said Moss. "I told Michael Irvin the same thing recently. I was nicked up really bad, but I just refused to fold my tail and give in to all the misery. I think it was important for the younger guys like Malcolm [Kelly] and Devin [Thomas] to see that it wasn't getting to me."

Moss said he kept telling his young teammates that something good was going to come out of the chaotic season. And when he heard the news about Mike Shanahan being hired, he simply looked at Kelly.

"I just kept telling them that something great was going to happen here," said Moss. "Things had gotten really dull around here and then 'boom!' the storm hit. Now, there's a completely different feeling about this team."

click on the link above for the rest of the article

:pfft:

Really? 09 was one of his average seasons, but god I love the guy.

I thought Moss was poor in 09 along with a bunch of other players. There were plays where he quit at the line of scrimmage with very little contact. I hope 2010 sees Santana being the deep threat we have seen in the past and that 2010 is his best season.

What a bogus read. The guy is the definition of playing for a paycheck. Good thing he is changing his tone with Shanny. I refused to wear my Moss jersey last year at the games. I saw all I needed to see Week 1 vs the Giants. JC stepped over the line of scrimmage, Moss saw it, took the play off and INT. All he had to do was stick an arm out to bat it away, instead he saw JC stepped over the LOS and threw the play. We were down by 10, not 50.

Yeah, this is the same Moss that gave up on routes in the playoffs and took a lot of plays off last year.

But, on the other hand, this is the first time in his career that he's playing with a very good QB and a dynamic scheme. Let's hope K. Shanahan can motivate him this year!

Every since that Monday Nite comeback in '05, I wear my authentic Santana Moss jersey every single game we play against Dall-ass. Even when we lose, he usually comes up big. Last yr, I was humiliated by ppl for even wearin it. I hope he makes up for the disgrace i dealt with last yr by murdering the Cowgirls!!.....& ultimately havin a good yr, turning in his 4th 1000yrd season

What a bogus read. The guy is the definition of playing for a paycheck. Good thing he is changing his tone with Shanny. I refused to wear my Moss jersey last year at the games. I saw all I needed to see Week 1 vs the Giants. JC stepped over the line of scrimmage, Moss saw it, took the play off and INT. All he had to do was stick an arm out to bat it away, instead he saw JC stepped over the LOS and threw the play. We were down by 10, not 50.

Could not agree more. Moss was... and always has been over-rated.

Could not agree more. Moss was... and always has been over-rated.

By whom is Moss over-rated?? Fans?? Media?? Sports Analysts??...Madden??

I nvr see Moss mentioned with the best(Fitz, R. Moss, A. Johnson) or the "greats" (Rice, Monk, Swann).... so how or where is he over-rated??

I agree that Moss is better suited for the slot receiver roll rather than the number 1 receiver...and that's not jus for the Skins but any team on which he plays. But to say he's over-rated, I jus dont see it.

"Moss was...and always has been" a very good wide receiver in this league.

Moss is overrated by a lot of Skins fans.

It's because of what he did 5 years ago, which none of us will ever forget. But it was 5 years ago. And he's done a lot of punk things since then especially in the playoffs.

Like I said, hopefully he will be better with Kyle and McNabb. Maybe he won't give up on McNabb the way he has with lesser QBs.

But he's not a player I want to hear talking a big game right now. I'd rather see him play every down consistently first. If he really wants to be a leader to #11 and #12 he can start with that.

Yeah he was definitely mailing it in on that MNF game in Dallas in 2005. It's not like he made two big TD catches to help us win a game we had all but lost anyway.

The last two years were a joke so I don't mind that Moss seemed to lose his cool out of frustration. Dude is a baller and wants to win, but the previous regime was an absolute joke.

Shanny will get the best out of Moss, just like Gibbs did. Real football players need real football men guiding them.

Umm, when Santana gave up in the playoffs he was playing for a HoF coach.

Sean Taylor also spit on another player in a playoff game under Gibbs. Emotions tend to run high in those high pressure moments.

We probably weren't going to win that game anyway. Yeah it sucks that he "stopped trying" at the end but what's done is done.

Yeah he was definitely mailing it in on that MNF game in Dallas in 2005. It's not like he made two big TD catches to help us win a game we had all but lost anyway.

The last two years were a joke so I don't mind that Moss seemed to lose his cool out of frustration. Dude is a baller and wants to win, but the previous regime was an absolute joke.

Shanny will get the best out of Moss, just like Gibbs did. Real football players need real football men guiding them.

The game vs Dallas....was he suppose to drop them? He is paid to make those type of catches. Your basing his entire Redskins career off of 1 game? What he did in that game is what he was paid to do, and yes we all loved it and really appreciated Moss for that game. But what you don't get is despite the regime being a joke, Moss did not help out it anyway. It was WEEK 1. YES WEEK 1 and he was already taking plays off. Joke of a regime or not, he sure didn't help the cause.

Sean Taylor also spit on another player in a playoff game under Gibbs. Emotions tend to run high in those high pressure moments.

We probably weren't going to win that game anyway. Yeah it sucks that he "stopped trying" at the end but what's done is done.

Yeah, I'll take spitting over throwing in the towel any day.

The point is since that 4 minutes of 2005, Moss has been more of a punk than a star, and has been incredibly inconsistent. And worse, he takes way too many plays off to be considered a leader or mentor to the young guys.

Again, I hope he changes this year. But there is nothing worse than talking a big game like he did in this interview when you're not giving it your all out on the field each play.

Archived