Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great Blues Music Thread

SC_RedskinsFan

• 9 months later...

The blues is something I like, but really need to buy more of. I have very little blues music. This one album I have called Martin Scorcese Presents The Blues is pretty cool, though. And I have a couple of Allman Brothers albums, but other than that I have no blues music in my collection.

Anyone recommend some blues albums to start a collection with?

There are some crucial crucial names not being mentioned in this thread. I'll throw you guys two of my very favorites.

Peter Green:

IxgY9eEFiYM

31N4mCS6Tu8&feature=related

And Mike Bloomfield:

xk9TDlvVhCk&feature=fvst

31EMHS65Nf0&feature=related

If you're dipping your toes into blues for the first time, I wouldn't start with the Delta musicians. They are important and there is a lot of brilliant Delta blues music. But it's not accessible for an ear that's not accustomed to very old and very poor production qualities.

But if anyone wants to check out some Delta blues beyond the Robert Johnson and Son House recordings, here are some of my favorite artists:

- Charlie Patton (kind of the father of the genre, one of the first male blues stars)

- Lonnie Johnson (brilliant guitarist with a Jazz background, probably the most technically skilled guitar player from the genre)

- Tommy Johnson

- Blind Lemon Jefferson

- Mississippi John Hurt

- Willie Brown

- Reverend Gary Davis

- some more I'm forgetting about right now.

I've always liked the Piedmont musicians too. In general, I like the country picking style.

These guys are pre-electrification of the blues for the most part, mostly recording in the 30s.

I really like Elmore James as kind of a master of slide. He recorded in the 50's IIRC and plays the electric guitar. He's not my favorite but he's really good and really important.

One of my favorite bluesmen of all is Lightnin' Hopkins. So much personality, such a voice, terrific guitar player too. He's extremely listenable. I prefer country blues musicians to the guys who play electric instruments. He was the rare old school bluesman who was successful recording in the 50's and early 60's before Alan Lomax dug up Son House.

Keb' Mo' is a pretty widely appreciated contemporary bluesman from Compton who plays in a more traditional style. He's a hell of a guitar player too and I've got a couple of albums where he plays on a Dobro that are awesome.

Archived