Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dez Bryant, Cowboys agree to terms. First 1st rounder signed

Oldskool

Per Rotoworld and Schefter

Dez Bryant becomes first 1st-rounder to sign

Cowboys agreed to terms with No. 24 overall pick WR Dez Bryant. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the deal is for five years and $11.8 million, including an $8.5 million signing bonus.

Last year's 24th pick, Peria Jerry, received $7.55M guaranteed over five years. So much for the concern about agent Eugene Parker's history and speculation that Bryant would be holding out for Top-10 money. The former Oklahoma State star becomes the first of the first-round picks to sign, just in time for the Cowboys to begin training camp this weekend. Bryant made a strong first impression in OTAs, and his early signing will only help to ensure that he'll be pushed into a big role as a rookie. Roy Williams is on notice this summer. Jul. 22 - 6:43 pm et

Adam_Schefter

1. Cowboys have agreed to terms on the contract with first round draft choice Dez Bryant. 10 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Numbers are in: Dez Bryant's deal with Cowboys is a five-year, $11.8 million deal that includes $8.5 million guaranteed. More at ESPN.com

As a total aside to this, I was at Lowe's earlier today and I overheard a couple of the workers talking about Dez.

Worker 1: I heard Dez is gonna sign soon.

Worker 2: That's cool. I hadn't heard anything. I'm just glad he's not gonna hold out.

W1: Yeah it'll be great to have him in camp on time.

W2: You know, I was kinda surprised we took a reciever with the first pick. I like Patrick Crayton.

Me :ols:

Very good deal for the Cowboys. As much as I hate to say it, I think he is going to be an animal in the league. I just hope that he lets it all get to his head and becomes complacent or something . . . because he has all the physical tools to dominate.

nice post, appreciate it. Hope he does as well, glad to get this over with. hope he has a great training camp, i dont want to much physical out of him, i wnat him to get it mentally first.

Damn....:(:mad::dallasuck

Come on man, its not like it wasn't going to happen :ols:

Although admittedly I would have much preferred it be a Crabtree-like situation.

Actually, I take that back. I'd rather woop up on the Cowboys at full strength week one :dallasuck

At the same time, unfortunately, I really think Bryant is going to be nasty. I just hope I'm wrong.

It's nice that they have their first rounder signed. I've yet to see all the particulars of the contract.

It sounds like they gave him close to $1 million more in guaranteed money than last years 24th pick received.

Does this mean they raised the stakes for all the other first rounders?

It's nice that they have their first rounder signed. I've yet to see all the particulars of the contract.

It sounds like they gave him close to $1 million more in guaranteed money than last years 24th pick received.

Does this mean they raised the stakes for all the other first rounders?

They kinda set the market with that signing. I am suprised Dez didnt wait til the Broncos signed their WR, or did they already? Im so out of the loop this year.

Nice that Dez didnt go drama queen on us.

Very good deal for the Cowboys. As much as I hate to say it, I think he is going to be an animal in the league. I just hope that he lets it all get to his head and becomes complacent or something . . . because he has all the physical tools to dominate.

You mean like the two WRs we picked up a few years ago? :rolleyes:

What I've read from the veterans on the pukes' team, he's just so, so.

They kinda set the market with that signing. I am suprised Dez didnt wait til the Broncos signed their WR, or did they already? Im so out of the loop this year.

Nice that Dez didnt go drama queen on us.

His OTA play dictated that he try to cash in as quickly as possible.

Except that's not what the veterans have said at all.

"The dude is scary. The dude is good and he doesn't even know it yet. Once the light bulb goes on he will probably be the best in the league.

"He's a man among boys. He's got big hands. Real big hands. When he shakes my hand, his fingers come up to my elbows.''

- Roy Williams
"He's going to be a big-time wide receiver,"
- Mike Jenkins
He's got some serious skills. Ball skills, catching the ball, route running, just natural skills that some people take time to develop, he kind of already has those right now.
- Miles Austin

Please, try to back up some of the **** you throw against the wall.

You know all of us Skins fans love your never-ending battle against the Boys on this message board. And we typically support you 100% in your personal crusade. But come on man . . . you gotta give credit where it's due. Devin Thomas was a question mark coming into the league because he had just one explosive breakout season. M. Kelly, despite his physical abilities, was also a question mark because of his knee problems. Dez however is not. While he isn't a finished product at this point, the kid can straight out play. The cowboys got a steal in getting him so late. I seriously doubt anyone can honestly compare him to our two projects.

He'll have a productive year, sure. But I'm more interested in whether or not he lets the "88" stigma get to his head. There is (now) going to be a lot of comparison to Michael Irvin, let's see if he can handle the praise when it comes, but also the criticism when it comes...

That's way too low, I smell future holdout.

First off, it isn't low at all. It's above what the 24th player got last year. I guess it just didn't happen the way some wanted with him demanding top 10 money and holding out.

Second, I would love for there to be a future holdout. That would mean he performed soo well that he feels he is grossly underpaid. That would be great for the team and Jerry would get something done with him if he was that good of a player.

They kinda set the market with that signing.

No, they didn't. But its fun watching you pretend you know what you're talking about all the time. Every year, every player gets more money than the player from the previous year in that slot, that's just how it works out. Its totally normal. And that's why a rookie pay scale is fast incoming.

Im so out of the loop this year.

Longer than just this year, buddy. Why don't you just look it up on Wikipedia?

Archived