Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dez Bryant, Cowboys agree to terms. First 1st rounder signed

Oldskool

All this talk about how teams had a player ranked is pointless. No team is showing their boards to anyone, and they all say they got their guy. Fact is he fell for a reason, and it had nothing to do with the Broncos playing "cute".

What does that even mean? You think the Broncos actually chose to take a lesser player, and would risk their jobs, to be CUTE? Maybe they will be proven to be wrong, I don't know, but when will this nonsense stop? The WR fell to the bottom of the first, and was probably a second rounder had the pukes not reached up for him.

The reason the Cowboys traded up from the 26th pick was the Ravens were planning to take him at 25. Part of why NE traded the pick so easily was to keep Bryant out of the AFC

Michael Crabtree was the consensus #1 WR, yet he wasn't the first WR taken. You could also say the same thing about Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith.
Well, obviously, Al Davis is senile, but Crabtree was still a top 10 pick. I'm not saying Bryant will or won't be good because we all know the draft is a crap shoot. But it is clear that the league didn't view him as a can't-miss, elite WR prospect. Guys like that (e.g. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald) go a lot earlier than Dez Bryant did.

Well, obviously, Al Davis is senile, but Crabtree was still a top 10 pick. I'm not saying Bryant will or won't be good because we all know the draft is a crap shoot. But it is clear that the league didn't view him as a can't-miss, elite WR prospect. Guys like that (e.g. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald) go a lot earlier than Dez Bryant did.

I think many did, just so many teams had holes to fill and the real concensus was that the WR class was weak. So the broncos had it and went with another guy, I think purely for the speed, but lets face it, they got cute and tried to say "we're not going to put the cancer players in our locker room" vs what the raiders did by taken Bey over Crabtree.

Yes, the draft is a crap shoot, but im also thinking we're seeing more busts because players are just getting so damn much money and not really have to earn it anymore.

And Josh McDaniel's isn't crazy? Trading away his team's starting QB, a top 5 WR, and a good young TE? Fact of the matter is that Dez Bryant was the consensus #1 in the draft and put up amazing numbers his sophomore year and had a good junior campaign before getting railroaded by the NCAA. It was the time off and the unsubstantiated character concerns that made him slide, not talent. If it weren't for the NCAA throwing the book at him (while they let Joe McKnight live in a penthouse and drive around in a Land Rover) he would have put up another stellar season and been a top 10 pick.

k. So the broncos had it and went with another guy, I think purely for the speed, but lets face it, they got cute and tried to say "we're not going to put the cancer players in our locker room" vs what the raiders did by taken Bey over Crabtree.

I will go on record to say that Demaryius Thomas will be the biggest bust in the draft. The guy played in an offense where he ran two routes, a 9 and an out, he went up against only single coverage because of the emphasis on the run and he still didn't put up stellar numbers. Not to mention he's a choking dog.

Sounds like he doesn't have great speed...why can't puke fans acknowledge that?

Elite speed isn't always the best predictor of a guy's ability to get open. Just look at Anquan Boldin.

On a personal note, I continue to be amazed by your complete and utter refusal to use the multi-quote feature.

Lost in the equation here is the fact that the league has become very cautious about choosing wide receivers early thanks to the likes of Charles Rogers (taken ahead of Andre Johnson and universally more highly touted coming out), Mike Williams, Peter Warrick, David Terrell, and Koren Robinson. Any small character blemish is liable to cause a highly touted receiver to drop from the top 10 and into late first or early second round territory whether they have "can't miss" skills or not.

Elite speed isn't always the best predictor of a guy's ability to get open. Just look at Anquan Boldin.

On a personal note, I continue to be amazed by your complete and utter refusal to use the multi-quote feature.

Lost in the equation here is the fact that the league has become very cautious about choosing wide receivers early thanks to the likes of Charles Rogers (taken ahead of Andre Johnson and universally more highly touted coming out), Mike Williams, Peter Warrick, David Terrell, and Koren Robinson. Any small character blemish is liable to cause a highly touted receiver to drop from the top 10 and into late first or early second round territory whether they have "can't miss" skills or not.

Worded much better than I would have done and more to the point.

And Josh McDaniel's isn't crazy? Trading away his team's starting QB, a top 5 WR, and a good young TE? Fact of the matter is that Dez Bryant was the consensus #1 in the draft and put up amazing numbers his junior year before getting railroaded by the NCAA. It was the time off and the unsubstantiated character concerns that made him slide, not talent. If it weren't for the NCAA throwing the book at him (while they let Joe McKnight live in a penthouse and drive around in a Land Rover) he would have put up another stellar season and been a top 10 pick.
This is what I don't get about the hype surrounding this guy. You think you're a better judge of football ability than the at least 14 teams that apparently mistakenly passed on this top 10 player?

This is what I don't get about the hype surrounding this guy. You think you're a better judge of football ability than the at least 14 teams that apparently mistakenly passed on this top 10 player?

Did they mistakenly do it or are there other reasons? Lets explore the Broncos saying "okay we're going to get rid of the basket cases" so who do they have to avoid?

You're reaching now. I could have told you that Randy Moss was a better WR than Kevin Dyson. I'd be willing to bet most draft gurus would have said the same thing. Teams pass on players for a variety of reasons. The same thing that happened to Moss happened to Dez Bryant, except Bryant's character issues were over blown.

You're reaching now. I could have told you that Randy Moss was a better WR than Kevin Dyson. I'd be willing to bet most draft gurus would have said the same thing. Teams pass on players for a variety of reasons. The same thing that happened to Moss happened to Dez Bryant, except Bryant's character issues were over blown.
Reaching? I'm claiming that Dez Bryant wasn't a top 10 prospect because he wasn't drafted in the top 10 or anywhere near it. You're suggesting that at least 14 teams selected an inferior player before Bryant. But I'm the one who is reaching?

Reaching? I'm claiming that Dez Bryant wasn't a top 10 prospect because he wasn't drafted in the top 10 or anywhere near it. You're suggesting that at least 14 teams selected an inferior player before Bryant. But I'm the one who is reaching?

There's a big difference between "top 10 prospect" and "top 10 draftee". The former implies ability compared to one's peers and is subject to open debate while the latter is concrete and strongly influenced by the personnel needs and individual whims of the franchises drafting. In other words, the only situation where you can dismiss the notion of Bryant as a top 10 prospect out of hand is in a world where every team drafts strictly BPA and is run by executives linked in to some sort of greater NFL hive mind.

Personally, I don't think Dez Bryant was a top 10 prospect but he was awfully close and it's not wholly unreasonable for people to place him there.

Because no team has ever drafted an inferior player before right? Had Dez not been given the runaround by the NCAA and had his character tarnished because of that, he would have been a top 10 pick based on his skill set and production. Are you saying that Randy Moss was the 2nd best WR in the 1998 NFL draft because he was the 2nd WR picked? What about Aaron Rodgers in 2005, was he the 2nd best QB because Alex Smith was taken ahead of him?

Alex Smith went into a terrible situation in San Fran and had he and Rodgers been switched I think we would now be talking about the massive bust that was Arron Rodgers and why can every NFL QB not be like Alex Smith ...

I think what is quite interesting with Dez Bryant is the one thing that Pats needed was a No.2. WR with Welker probably out until mid season but they passed on him not once but twice . (they originally picked at 22 then traded back to 25 then traded again rather than pick Bryant) . They still picked up a decent prospect in Taylor Price (selected with the 3rd round pick the boys gave up in return for Bryant - though you got a 4th back) .

Also the Broncos just did not know when to stop trading but I think they actually got the better, more balanced, prospect . Demaryius Thomas came from a run first system at GT but caught everything that was near him . He faced serious attention in passing situations and still delivered and didn't turn up with a Diva attitude . Had he been on any other team with a decent second option or a thought out passing attack then Thomas would have been a much more touted prospect . Maybe not top 10 but solid 1st round pick .

Now the cowboys took the best player available . Great for them but there are a couple of measuring sticks to compare Bryants impact . It will be interesting to see who will have the better season, Bryant, Thomas or Price ...

:ols:

I have to say man, you are making a lot of sense in this thread. I think guys get sucked into the hype surrounding a player, but GMs don't. When I hear consensus top this or that I laugh, it's not up to the media to say who's skills fit a particular team, it's up to the front offices of the NFL teams. The misinformation that is put out there is well known, but so many still buy into the hype.

Wasn't Reggie Bush the "consensus" best player in his draft? Casserly knew better, but now Mcdaniels was just being cute.:ols:

The problem with casual fans is that they actually BELIEVE ESPN...

This thread is too funny.

I know many of these 'lurkers' who all of a sudden have decided to be dizzy on Dez forget the hype surrounding a fella named Martellus Bennett.

Remember how that two TE formation would transform the pukes into an elite team?

:ols::ols::ols:

I love fans of any team who hype up rookies.

It instantly displays their total ignorance of the NFL.

It's rare for rookies to do much in their first year. I'm sure most puke fans think Austin was a rookie last year.

Just ask some.

:rotflmao:

Dez Bryant = Martellus Bennett

I have to say man, you are making a lot of sense in this thread. I think guys get sucked into the hype surrounding a player, but GMs don't. When I hear consensus top this or that I laugh, it's not up to the media to say who's skills fit a particular team, it's up to the front offices of the NFL teams. The misinformation that is put out there is well known, but so many still buy into the hype.

Wasn't Reggie Bush the "consensus" best player in his draft? Casserly knew better, but now Mcdaniels was just being cute.:ols:

Puke fans and casual observers of the NFL often get caught up in the draft hysteria surrounding their team's first pick.

I feel sorry for those types of fans....though, I'm sure they mean well, it's too bad they don't take an intellectual approach to the draft and the game

So sad.

First of all, you're wrong...and secondly, why is this even a consideration of a post?

:doh:

You know all of us Skins fans love your never-ending battle against the Boys on this message board. And we typically support you 100% in your personal crusade.
You know, all of us Skins fan wonder about you. Your posting history sure makes you sound like a puke fan.

It's not a memory issue . . . more of a factual issue. Again, if you want to play a big internet tough guy and call me out, please provide the proof. Until you do you will continue to lose credibility.

You really are a sensitive one. In my post I actually gave you credit for giving the Cowboys so much crap on this board . . . yet because I didn't fully agree with your assessment on this particular topic you have chosen to become a child.

Again . . . enjoy being one of those people who hides behind his internet and swears he is the smartest guy in the room.

Dude, who took the first shot, eh? I believe 'personal crusade' is hardly a flattering term. You can disagree with me...that's fine, but characterizing my posts in a demeaning generality isn't going to win friends.

I love 'Internet tough guys' who forget they're the aggressor.

Now, this is the last post I'll waste on you...

HTTR!

... except Bryant's character issues were over blown.

Really? Do you have a link for that or perhaps some facts to back up that claim?

The fact is, he's not an elite anything yet. He hasn't played a single down in the NFL. At this level, some players instantly become injury prone...will he be one of those?

In any draft, you rarely get a starter past the sixth pick...and rookie starters usually mean a critical need at a position.

I really wonder if some of you fellas actually follow the NFL.

Puke fans and casual observers of the NFL often get caught up in the draft hysteria surrounding their team's first pick.

I feel sorry for those types of fans....though, I'm sure they mean well, it's too bad they don't take an intellectual approach to the draft and the game

So sad.

like the Skins fan that bet me a steak dinner that the Cowboys would not score a TD AND...not or AND they would not get one single sack vs the skins in the first game....hahaha based on the fact that ya'll drafted Trent Williams and he is Chirs Samuels and will improve the entire O-Line......i love free steak dinners!!!!

Because no team has ever drafted an inferior player before right? Had Dez not been given the runaround by the NCAA and had his character tarnished because of that, he would have been a top 10 pick based on his skill set and production.
I'm not saying that teams are infallible. And in hindsight, those mistakes become clear. I just think it's ridiculous to claim you know nearly half of the league screwed up before all but one team has even taken a snap in training camp.

There's a big difference between "top 10 prospect" and "top 10 draftee". The former implies ability compared to one's peers and is subject to open debate while the latter is concrete and strongly influenced by the personnel needs and individual whims of the franchises drafting. In other words, the only situation where you can dismiss the notion of Bryant as a top 10 prospect out of hand is in a world where every team drafts strictly BPA and is run by executives linked in to some sort of greater NFL hive mind.
If Bryant were taken in the mid teens I could buy into that. But I have a hard time believing that so many teams would pass on a player they had rated that high. For instance, I know that the Giants at #15 took the guy they had rated BPA, which is why they picked another DE despite significant holes elsewhere. And even the Cowboys, who traded up for Bryant, disregarded any character concerns, and had a need at WR, didn't have him rated in their top 10.

I love fans of any team who hype up rookies.

It instantly displays their total ignorance of the NFL.

It's rare for rookies to do much in their first year.

So, it's not intelligent to hype up an unproven player, but it's ok to write off a player as a bust if they don't light it up as a rookie (e.g. Anthony Spencer)?

It's funny to hear someone who routinely makes wild and silly predictions criticize others for basically doing the same thing.

Archived