Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports Bog: Why Cooley Isn't at "Hell Week"

MattFancy

This is not last year's Skins. Cooley is missing a huge bonding experience with a new QB and the rest of the skill players.
So would everybody be OK with it if moss didn't go. I mean everything that applies to Cooley applies to moss other then the ankle and by now I'm sure that the ankle is perfectly fine. I mean I love Cooley too but he should be down there just as much as anyone else. I think he gets away with a little to much since he's such a cool dude. Jmo tho. I'm sure someone is gonna catch feelings in 3... 2... 1... LOL
Cooley is a fan favorite. He'd have to do coke with the upper management of BP and drive an H2 hummer into a pile of baby seals to have people bat an eye at him.

Which I'm fine with, just saying that he's as untouchable as one gets on this team.

I'm not surprised that Cooley is giving a pass one bit. He SHOULD be there with his teammates in Arizona this is a new qb and new system. After the disaster that was the end of 2008 and all of 2009 I would hope that the players,would do WHATEVER it took to ensure that 2010 will give us FANS a reason to believe and smile again.

Ok, I maybe in the minority here but I am disappointed that Cooley elected not to go with the other players to AZ.

And although he is a very good tightend, he can always get better. And given that we have a new OC, a new HC and he has a new QB throwing to him, I would think that he would want to build that chemistry that is important.

Then there is the matter of him being able to secure the ball, it did have some problems with some fumbles in criticle situations.

I know he said he has been working out, but all that time off while his ankle was healing had to have some negative effects on the body, especially the legs and endurance.

I agree. Cooley should be there. I feel that Cooley could be a much better player. I am not saying that he isn't good, he is very good. But he has a chance to put up HOF type numbers if he and McNabb get on the same page. I feel that Cooley has a lot to prove. He has been a leader on this team for the last few years, and our teams have sucked. Not saying that it was his fault, but it isn't always good to see someone goofing off so much, when your team goes 4-12. And to hear that Davis went...I really like Davis. I hope Cooley does not feel that the starting spot is his, beacuse of what he has done in the past. If Davis plays better then him in preseason, and practice, I think he should get the nod. Things will be real interesting when things get under way.

This is conditioning. There not out there getting hit by 300 pound defensive tackles.

Yeah but it still is draining on the body, plus mentally. When ya get burned out, then you tend to get injured faster as well.

Cooley will be fine, and for him this is probably whats best.

out of curiousity...did Westbrook go every year as well?

The second half of last season, Davis was as good as Cooley has ever been in his career. I fully expected Davis to be the better TE this year anyways. However, it's awfully hard to complain or fret about your TE situation when Cooley could be your second guy. It would be nice if Cooley was out there -- I certainly would be if I were him with a young beast threatening my PT -- but really I'm more excited about what Davis is going to do this year than anything else.

I'm disappointed he's not there. Yes he's more proven then Devin. MK/ Fred, but they aren't the only ones there. Moss is putting in the time and he's accomplished more in this league than Chris has. My point you want to change the losing culture you've been a part of here then you should go to. Don't make the excuse that one week is too much......

I guess it would be IDEAL if Cooley was there, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I would have given Moss a pass too. Everyone else (basically Colt and the 3 2008 picks) need to be there and I'm glad they are doing it.

I am happy that Moss wants to participate and I'm a little surprised that Cooley is not, but I think we'll be fine in the TE department. I too think that, by season's end, we might see that Davis and Cooley are on the field together a lot and are basically 1a and 1b (not 1 and 2) on the depth chart.

I think Cooley should be there to build chemistry with mcnabb but did anyone see this article about Kelly?

The Redskins could cut the next Andre Johnson

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 22, 2010 10:30 AM ET

Back in March of 2009, the Redskins tried to prove that Dan Snyder didn't tamper with Albert Haynesworth when the owner met with Haynesworth's agent at the NFL Scouting Combine before free agency started.

The official explanation at the time: Haynesworth's agent Chad Speck and Snyder were discussing wide receiver Malcolm Kelly.

"Chad told me he met with the Redskins at the Combine," Haynesworth said. "But they were talking about Malcolm [Kelly] and how he could become the next Andre Johnson and stuff like that."

Well, the rest of the NFL may get the chance to sign the next Andre Johnson shortly. Ryan O'Halloran of Comcast Sportsnet Washington predicted on Wednesday Kelly won't even make the team because of his injury issues and lack of special teams value.

That information makes it all the more ridiculous the Redskins got off the hook for tampering using the Kelly excuse. It also points out how Washington bungled the second round of that draft.

The team selected Devin Thomas 15 spots ahead of DeSean Jackson, and tight end Fred Davis one spot ahead of Jackson before grabbing Kelly three picks later. (We like Davis plenty, but they still passed on Jackson twice.)

Vinny Cerrato may be gone, but his legacy continues to live on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/22/the-redskins-could-cut-the-next-andre-johnson/

Your excuse can also apply to Albert. AH is a proven commodity too. Personally, I think Cooley is right.

Oh AH is a proven something alright. However its not always a commodity. Cooley doesn't spend half the year on his stomach and or back out of gas. Cooley would play RB if he had to while AH whines about the new defense. Until AH proves it he is hardly a proven commodity. At least based on last year.

This is not last year's Skins. Cooley is missing a huge bonding experience with a new QB and the rest of the skill players.

He seems to get along with everyone anyway, and he'll have a lot of time to hang out with teammates during team activities. He's a veteran who doesn't need to go. If anything, I think he's better off getting the rest so he's focused during the season.

And really does a TE need to work on timing with a QB? I mean I'm sure McNabb will know where Cooley is on every play and that he can dump it off to him if need be. Its not like Cooley is going to be running deep posts or fly patterns.

Of course their job is more fun to us.

I don't think being an NFL player looks like fun at all. It seems like a lot of practicing and meetings for the opportunity to play 16 games, which will inevitably result in you receiving a crippling injury that will require a yearly surgery for the rest of your life.

I've never looked at an NFL player and said, "Oh...I wish that was my life."

I am insanely jealous of major league baseball players, however.

I'm kind of disappointed Cooley isn't down there. It would be great to see our team have an activity where there is never a question of, "Is everyone here that should be." I understand if he wants to rest or doesn't think he needs to go, but really why not? Yes, he's proven, so on and so forth but you can't underestimate a bonding experience with your (new) quarterback and fellow receivers. Not to mention, timing and just that "sixth sense" about when the receiver is going to break or which way the QB is going to roll out under pressure. Things like that. Just disappointed. :helmet:

Considering how much time Cooley will be playing the "Dallas Clark" role in this offense, it would have behooved him to spend as much time with McNabb as humanly possible.

Or will Fred Davis be playing the Dallas Clark role?

Going to be interesting. Lucky to have them both.

That was my thought as well. When its all said and done, as the more athletic, speedier TE, maybe Davis will have that role locked down. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I haven't heard anything about Davis in the slot but I have heard about moving Cooley there in certain 2 TE sets.

Either way you are correct, the team is lucky to have two better than average at worst pass catching TE's.

So would everybody be OK with it if moss didn't go. I mean everything that applies to Cooley applies to moss other then the ankle and by now I'm sure that the ankle is perfectly fine. I mean I love Cooley too but he should be down there just as much as anyone else. I think he gets away with a little to much since he's such a cool dude. Jmo tho. I'm sure someone is gonna catch feelings in 3... 2... 1... LOL

^^ I was about to post something similar. ok I'll post it anyway.

Funny how Cooley gets a pass around here..if it was some other player(say Santana Moss) they'd be catching it for not being part of the new quarter back's initiative and a team bonding experience. Honestly I don't care though I just wanted to say that lol.

Cooley is a ProBowl TE. Him being there will improve chemistry but his absence isnt gonna make anythng worse. Im sure he & McNabb have had PLENTY of workouts together and they'll have PLENTY more in the near future. So if he wants to take the extra couple wks to rest, i think he's earned the right to do so... especially comin off a season-ending ankle injury.

Archived