Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC Sports Bog: Why Cooley Isn't at "Hell Week"

MattFancy

I definitely think the Mrs. had something to do with it. I don't know the marital status of the other guys who went to work with McNabb but I'm guessing most of 'em are single. I would loved to have seen the token white guy ;) do a little bonding with the rest of them but, at some point, you HAVE to balance family and football. Can't really blame Chris for that.

So would everybody be OK with it if moss didn't go. I mean everything that applies to Cooley applies to moss other then the ankle and by now I'm sure that the ankle is perfectly fine. I mean I love Cooley too but he should be down there just as much as anyone else. I think he gets away with a little to much since he's such a cool dude. Jmo tho. I'm sure someone is gonna catch feelings in 3... 2... 1... LOL

So would everybody be OK with it if moss didn't go. I mean everything that applies to Cooley applies to moss other then the ankle and by now I'm sure that the ankle is perfectly fine. I mean I love Cooley too but he should be down there just as much as anyone else. I think he gets away with a little to much since he's such a cool dude. Jmo tho. I'm sure someone is gonna catch feelings in 3... 2... 1... LOL

I dunno, I wouldn't mind if Moss wasn't there either. Kelly and Thomas need more work with McNabb than anyone. Proven vets like Cooley and Moss shouldn't have a problem adjusting to McNabb and vice versa. But Thomas and Kelly haven't proven anything and need all the extra work they can get.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind if Moss wasn't there either. Kelly and Thomas need more work with McNabb than anyone. Proven vets like Cooley and Moss shouldn't have a problem adjusting to McNabb and vice versa. But Thomas and Kelly haven't proven anything and need all the extra work they can get.

Very true on Thomas and Kelly. I'm really just speaking from a leadership perspective with Moss and Cooley I guess. With a new QB and new offense I just feel these guys should be doing everything possible in order to get their chemistry and timing right for week 1 and showing that this is a new team.

Very true on Thomas and Kelly. I'm really just speaking from a leadership perspective with Moss and Cooley I guess. With a new QB and new offense I just feel these guys should be doing everything possible in order to get their chemistry and timing right for week 1 and showing that this is a new team.

I agree that they should be there, but on the other hand, Moss and Cooley have experience and know how to prepare themselves. Thomas and Kelly on the other hand, aren't as experienced. It would be great if Moss and Cooley were there, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or call for their heads. Now if it was Thomas or Kelly, I'd say they are being lazy and aren't dedicated.

If Davis is there then Cooley should be too. And if I were him I'd sure as hell be taking the wife!

Cooley is able to prepare himself and be ready I wouldn't worry too much about him not being there. He'll develop a quick chemistry with DMC5 at TC and then we'll all be talking about this like it is a non issue

My initial reaction is that I'd like Cooley to be there.

You either want the one in, all in team ethic or you don't. Forget making the justifications for a fan favourite when he doesn't play ball. And for the record he is a fan favourite of mine.

Clean slate this year, no free passes. If some guys can make the time, so can the 6yr/$30m TE, in my opinion.

While I almost fell asleep at the wheel, I heard the interview live given by the worlds worst radio personality/interviewer UnWise Mike. He basically said he has been working out with the team all offseason busting his ass so he felt he needed this month to chill out and get away from football for a little bit. He said hes still working out and all just wanted to relax because its a long season ahead.

Did anybody stop to think that maybe McNabb only wanted to take certain players to AZ, maybe the ones he doesn't feel sure about?

Cooley was invited. According to him, McNabb just shot a few texts out to the players and whoever wanted in could come.

Perhaps this is why McNabb and co had issues at the end of season? You do that much work/training with very little time to let the body recover, it takes its toll.

I think it is a good idea for Kelly and Thomas however, they need the extra work.

Perhaps this is why McNabb and co had issues at the end of season? You do that much work/training with very little time to let the body recover, it takes its toll.

I think it is a good idea for Kelly and Thomas however, they need the extra work.

This is conditioning. There not out there getting hit by 300 pound defensive tackles.

IMO all of the pass catchers should have gone because they all need to build chemistry with the starting QB. However, if any of the WRs/TEs deserved to not be there it's Cooley. He's been the only consistent catcher throughout the regime changes.

This might belong in a different thread, but Davis vs. Cooley could become a real competition this season. To my knowledge, neither Shanny's offense has ever featured two TEs who share receptions and time. Also, I feel as though Shanny is coming into DC without any favoritism. Should be interesting.

All the receivers should be there.. All! I love Cooley but he's playing with fire seeing that Fred Davis is there in AZ and we already saw that Fred is a more athletic Tight End. If Fred is building chemistry with McNabb.. Fred will probably get the ball..And Cooley's numbers will decline..

I'm just sayin'

Cooley will be fine. He knows how to prepare himself and (hopefully) he has his mind on injury prevention.

That said, when he is saying how little time off he gets from football... wasn't his season only 7 weeks long last year? It seems to me like rest isn't something he's short on.

I usually hear about guys who miss so many games (especially if it's their first major injury) and how they're absolutely raring to get back to football. Granted, hell week isn't "football" per se, but it's closer than hanging out in Wyoming. I'm not criticizing, I'm just surprised.

On a related note, I think our 2TE set is going to be brutal this year. Mostly because not many teams have the personnel to defend against two pro-bowl-caliber receiving TEs, but also because it suits a zone-blocking OL so well. There is no "strong side" for the other team to key off of, either (or neither, or one) guy can chip block on any play, etc. I'm pretty psyched to see what Kyle Shanahan can come up with.

Archived