Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Healthy Habits thread #1. Work out frequency.

Destino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This debate started when you wrote:

Running every day and "steady state cardio" are not the same thing. Any more than bicep curls with a 5 lb weight is "weight training". :)

I told you where I was coming from with that. I consider a "run" a long distance type of thing. Purely aerobic. Steady state cardio = aerobic. I do not consider a "run" doing hills or sled dragging. This is where we're arguing semantics, as I said earlier.

Dropping body fat is about creating a calorie deficit. Any exercise that contributes to the calorie deficit will help drop body fat. Including walking the dog.

It's also about doing so in a way to make your body burn more fat. SS cardio encourages the body to store fat, not remove it. Sure, the calories you burn help, which is why I said aerobic cardio can be effective, it's just the least effective method of doing so. As you said, if you're in a caloric deficit, you're good to go as far as weight loss goes... But as Major points out above, you'll also be left with flab due to the fact that your body stored that and allowed muscle to be burnt off.

Simple rule of thumb for weight loss is: Move more, eat less. However, for dropping body fat you need to move more, eat less and lifting weights should be within that "move more" category...

If your obsession is simply burning calories, many people will find greater success with higher volume of a lower intensity exercise than with higher intensity. Speaking personally, give me hours of running in the woods with my wife and friends, over minutes of sweating in a gym.

I still disagree here... But as we've both said, that's okay. I'm sure people are learning a ton from our little debate here, and it's been respectful on both sides. So cheers to that.

:cheers:

i'm about 3-4.

as far as the corc / kdawg debate, i can see both sides. 16 months ago, i was 210 lbs. (i'm 5'8")

i am now 170 lbs, and have been there for about 9 or 10 months. i have done zero strength training. pretty much dropped 40 lbs of fat by running. just running.

You dropped forty pounds of weight... Not necessarily fat. The best way to test that would have been to test your body fat % before you lost the weight and after. You should have foreseen this debate and took the measures to prove one of us right before you went and lost all that weight. Ass! :)

now, i'm 170 with flubber that won't go away. i'm sure if i start core / strength training, i could get over the hump.

I'd say it would absolutely be of benefit to you.

running 45-50 minutes a day M-F since the end of January. then basketball every sunday night for about 2 hours. only day i take off is saturday.

when i started keeping track, i went from 238 down to 210. ultimately ended up at 195. im 6'3 so that seems about a good size. had been at 250 at one point. but when i started tracking, i lost 30lbs in about 6 weeks.

You dropped forty pounds of weight... Not necessarily fat. The best way to test that would have been to test your body fat % before you lost the weight and after. You should have foreseen this debate and took the measures to prove one of us right before you went and lost all that weight. Ass! :)

i can assure you most of it is fat. :silly:

I'd say it would absolutely be of benefit to you.

i know it. i just need to get started, that's more than 1/2 the battle.

In answer to the original question in the op,3-4 times a week with the average being 4. Though it's climbing to 5. One day a week with the weights,(maintenance),and then 3-4 hikes of varying distance the rest of the week. Keeping in mind that even the shorter distances of hikes can be strenuous when you're talking a 1000 foot per mile elevation change on many of these trails. Some even more.

work has cut into my desire and time to work out, so I'm only doing 2-3 workout per week at this point. At school I do a lot more PT, probably a total of 2 hours a day, five days a week. I really, really need to start working out with that intensity again before school starts though, Hungary wasn't too kind to me since I was basically fallow for a whole month. Ughhh. I always come home from work tired and I just fall asleep...

I often find myself drained so I will end up lifting about once a week because bjj is so intense. I find that one day of lifting is enough to keep my current muscle mass, especially when I eat properly which I work pretty hard at.

yeah.... those intesive bjs tend to really drain you :cool:

I call it 10-ish sessions a week (during the summer)

zilch in winter

I bike to and from work... about 13 or 14 miles each way. and it is HILLY on the virginia side of my ride. It takes me about 45 minutes to bike in, and about an hour to go home (hills are worse onthe homebound side, and it is HOT.)

but then i eat about 17,000 calories a day.

Archived