Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Healthy Habits thread #1. Work out frequency.

Destino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Quick question for the ES crowd. On average how often have you worked out for 30 minutes or longer at a time per week in the last 3 month period. This is to include dedicated work outs only. Gardening and other activities that have elements of working out included don't count unless you're doing some seriously strenuous activity for long periods of time.

If you have any awesome workouts you like to share feel free to do so. My favorite added work out has been buying one of those door frame pull ups. I knock out a bunch every time I walk by it and my core strength has improved as a result.

Poll is now up.

I'm at 5-6 including trips to the gym and playing sports.

I've been walking a friend's dog 5-6 days a week, anywhere from 2.5-5 miles a day for the last three months. I can't tell you how proud I am to be able to click the 5-6 button. I was a SLUG for YEARS!!!

I just recently started jogging with the dog, to increase the intensity of our workouts, and about a month ago, added 30-40 minutes of Wii Fit to my routine 3-4 days a week.

I've also quit drinking at home altogether, am sticking to 1800 calories per day (with a cheat day every 7-10 days) and feeling GREAT!!!

I've only lost about 15 pounds. But I know I'm building muscle, and I look better as well. I still have about 30 pounds to lose, but I feel really good about what I'm doing right now. And it has actually been pretty easy to stick to this time.

Thanks for the thread, Des. I find stuff like this to be motivating, and that it helps keep me honest. Given that this is #1, I can only hope there will be plenty more to follow!!!! :cheers:

I never work out...I work doing some seriously strenuous activity for long periods of time.

You're just the type of ******* that lives to be 104. I mean that as a compliment. :ols:

Loved you're breakfast you posted in some other thread, a pot of coffee and cookies. ha!

3-4 on average. Some weeks a little more, some weeks a little less.

If anyone ever wants a pretty good workout doing something around their house, clean your gutters. I did that a couple of weeks ago and my legs and lower back were really sore for days.

3-4 on average. Some weeks a little more, some weeks a little less.

If anyone ever wants a pretty good workout doing something around their house, clean your gutters. I did that a couple of weeks ago and my legs and lower back were really sore for days.

I cleaned the gutters at my mom's house about two months ago, and you're right. It's an ass-kicker for sure.

During the summer, it's 4 days a week. M, T Th & F.

On Wednesdays, I walk 9 holes of golf in the afternoon, (not really excercise, but you sure do feel it when the temps are in upper 90's and the humidity is hovering around 100%).

The rest of the year it's 5 days a week.

Weights & cardio every day but Wednesday. Wednesday is strictly cardio.

I do so to keep my weight under 220 and,(hopefully), stay relatively healthy. At my age, it helps immensely because I scuba dive, snowboard, golf & hunt.

With love of food food, and beer, I have no choice. If I don't excercise, I would probably weigh 250lbs.

7, every day, that's how much I was doing before my dirtbike accident, and that's what I'm back up to now. I alternate between an elliptical, treadmill, and a nearby high school track, running six miles on all three. Every now and then I'll switch to a stationary for a week to give my joints a break.

Between MMA training and powerlifting along with general conditioning I'm at 5-6 days a week. I try to go for 5 and double up on some days. Working out 6-7 days = bad idea if you're interested in your body ever recovering.

I walk to work every day, 5 days a week. It's about a mile there and a mile back. I open skate at the ice arena twice a week (1 1/2 hours) which is fairly strenuous. I play hockey once a week which is incredibly strenuous.

I put 3-4 just to be on the safe side. Some people wouldn't say that walking 2 miles a day is a workout and compared to ice skating/hockey I'd tend to agree.

Working out 6-7 days = bad idea if you're interested in your body ever recovering.

Your statement is only true assuming a certain level of intensity and type of workout. If you take easy or recovery days and work different areas there's lots of benefits in the additional workouts done the right way.

Your statement is only true assuming a certain level of intensity and type of workout. If you take easy or recovery days and work different areas there's lots of benefits in the additional workouts done the right way.

Most people don't know the difference in intensities.

"extra" work is a powerlifting term used to mean you do really light high rep work as a "prehab" type of thing. That stuff comes into play, especially while doing a program such as Westside.

I wouldn't run every day. Steady state cardio doesn't help people drop body fat.

What steady state cardio does is that it trains the body to operate more efficiently while using fat as an energy source. Cool, right? Wrong. What that means is that your body will start using fat slower, which means you burn less and less with each steady state session you have... Not good for someone wanting to lose weight. The body also tells itself it needs to store more fat if it becomes available. This is why you see alot of people who were a bit overweight continue to be the exact same size plus or minus a few pounds year round on the treadmill.

Aerobic training is also detrimental to strength/hypertrophy training... So if you're lifting weights trying to get bigger/stronger and doing a ton of aerobic cardio, you're not really doing much good for yourself.

I guess if you trained every day extremely carefully you could go 7 days a week and be okay, but really, how many can do that?

You have two upper body and two lower body lifting days, that's four days. Perhaps cardio work on 2 days, that's six. Not sure why the need for a 7th. Your body grows (for those trying to get size) outside the gym and inside the kitchen. People trying to lose weight could probably use the rest as well. It will help make their workouts better with a little bit of rest and quite frankly it would prevent burnout. I can't tell you how many people I've seen come and go from my gym...

Some of these guys were there seven days a week for a year straight... Then they drop off the face of earth. I see them back in there six months later and they've gained 20-25 pounds.

Burnout is an issue, whether you want to admit it or not.

I agree with most of your comments, but I can tell you that HIIT training 15 to 20 minutes a day right after lifting weights can do amazing things. I might do cardio for an hour one day a week, most of my cardio is sprints for very short period of time after weight lifting and I workout 5 days a week. Rest and nutrition is really 70% of the solution to weight loss and muscle gains.

Are you saying that the more you run, the less weight you lose? I'm trying to get back to being lean and I'm going to start incorporating more healthy food into my diet, but as it is I run either 4-5 days a week. What would you suggest? Also, what type of free weights should I get? I've heard resistance bands work pretty well as well. I'm not trying to bulk up, but I'm trying to get definition back and tone.

Are you saying that the more you run, the less weight you lose? I'm trying to get back to being lean and I'm going to start incorporating more healthy food into my diet, but as it is I run either 4-5 days a week. What would you suggest? Also, what type of free weights should I get? I've heard resistance bands work pretty well as well. I'm not trying to bulk up, but I'm trying to get definition back and tone.

Cardio burns calories but not enough, how much calories do you burn? 300? 400 on a typical cardio session? Eating healthy will help but it will not be enough unless you cut your calories back to be in deficit. Weight lifting will not bulk you up, if you lift light and extra sets you will burn heck of a lot more calories (combining cardio as well at the end of your work out sessions). Cut back on bad fats, too much carbs and increase your intake of protein.

I wouldn't run every day. Steady state cardio doesn't help people drop body fat.

Your goals are different. I have no interest in increasing muscle mass.

And running does help drop body fat. On a typical run I burn in excess of 1000 calories, or a deficit of 7000 per week.

But the greatest gains and losses are at the table.

Archived