Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I totaled my car today :(

mcsluggo

nobody was hurt.... which is what is important, of couse.

but man, i REALLY hate car shopping! !%$!@^%$!@!!!

the other driver was found to be at fault, and it was my beater second car (95 Camry). But that basically means that i will not get jack back (I assume i will get what i could've sold it for, NOT what it will cost to replace it. which blows.

Question: They have already agreed to provide a rental car for some time period. In the end, the 2 or 3 weeks of rental car payments will end up being worth about as much as my car, probably. Is there any way I would be able to just cut an up-front settlement with the other drivers insurer to just split the difference between what they WOULD pay for rental car, and zero (I plan to use this as further motivation to bike all the way in to work for the rest of summer).

#2: if that is unlikely, should i deal primarily through my own insurance co (and count on them fighting for OUR rights) or just deal directly with the other insurer until they clearly try to screw my pooch?

#3: any other words of wisdom?

it is not all that impressive LOOKING, but it smashed in both passenger side doors, with a little damage to the rear fender and trunk thrown in for good measure. It wouldn't qualify as "totaled" if it was 2009 Escalade.... but it doesn't take much of a total repair bill to swamp the value of a 95 camry !

Deal with the other ins first,they are under pressure of liability and generally will be more generous.

Never hurts to try on the rental,though most use base formulas for valuing totals and the rental can be cut at their discretion at a reasonable time(usually 5 days) after a settlement offer.

glad you are OK, aches and pains + inconvenience compensation is not unreasonable if applicable.

That sucks man sorry to hear it.

I have a 97 F150 that I've had since new. I've taken care of it to the extreme. I only drive it when I go to lowes etc. But whenever I do someone always comes up to me to tell me how nice a truck it is

The transmission has never gone 25k without fluid change. The oil has never gone over 3k. The paint is perfect. The interioir is pristine.

And if I totaled it, insurance would probably give me 5k or whatever kbb says its worth. I wouldn't take 15k if you offered it though, seriously. I can empathize with you... If I wrecked it I wouldn't want the money I'd just want my truck back

Well, your brother is a lawyer, so not sure why you're asking us this :silly:, but I would definitely let your insurance company handle their insurance company. If it were a fender bender or something that might be one thing, but with your car totaled I would definitely make sure you have a pro involved start to finish.

I got hit by an 18 wheeler years ago in a parking lot and from the word go their insurance company tried to **** me at every turn. Literally seconds after the accident. Ended up going to arbitration w/ my insurance company. They ended up paying after months of silliness.

Question: They have already agreed to provide a rental car for some time period. In the end, the 2 or 3 weeks of rental car payments will end up being worth about as much as my car, probably. Is there any way I would be able to just cut an up-front settlement with the other drivers insurer to just split the difference between what they WOULD pay for rental car, and zero (I plan to use this as further motivation to bike all the way in to work for the rest of summer).

#2: if that is unlikely, should i deal primarily through my own insurance co (and count on them fighting for OUR rights) or just deal directly with the other insurer until they clearly try to screw my pooch?

#3: any other words of wisdom?

McSluggo, I work in the insurance field. What I would recommend first and foremost is to look up comparables for what your vehicle is worth. Use cars.com and autotrader.com.

Unfortunately most insurers won't negotiate an up front settlement so I would take the rental vehicle as they will pay for the full cost of it and the accompanying insurance if you don't have full coverage.

To your second question, it would depend on if you have full coverage. If you do you would be able to go through your insurance company for the damages, however they will withold your collision deductible until they get reimbursement through the other company. The only circumstance where this would not take place would be if the other driver is not insured. I would recommend dealing with the other company unless they are clearly trying to take advantage of you.

PM me with any questions and I hope that this helps.

Some stiffness is probably to expect after an accident, for whiplash damages it's good if you can keep up your daily routine but not over-exerting yourself as it heals quicker if you're active.

Always check up severe pain or worsening symptoms though.

I would disagree zoony, dependent on the other insurances actions of course

If they are providing a rent car and up until you feel they are not acting in good faith it is better to simply deal with them on a older vehicle total.

That leaves both your ins and arbitration as a resort.

just a note,they will handle any injury claims separate from actual physical loss of your car.

That sucks man sorry to hear it.

I have a 97 F150 that I've had since new. I've taken care of it to the extreme. I only drive it when I go to lowes etc. But whenever I do someone always comes up to me to tell me how nice a truck it is

The transmission has never gone 25k without fluid change. The oil has never gone over 3k. The paint is perfect. The interioir is pristine.

And if I totaled it, insurance would probably give me 5k or whatever kbb says its worth. I wouldn't take 15k if you offered it though, seriously. I can empathize with you... If I wrecked it I wouldn't want the money I'd just want my truck back

uh the reason you wouldn't take 15k is its a freaking F150, best truck on the road sir

i have a 2006 and it only has 35k miles on it, treat it like gold, and i am gonna keep it till it dies, so it'll probably outlive me! always reminds me of the country song 'pickup man' by joe diffie

just a note,they will handle any injury claims separate from actual physical loss of your car.

True. Once you get a fair offer for the car, accept payment for that and don't rush the medical settlement until you are confident you have no lingering injury. Also, don't keep the rental past the turn in day or the rental company will hit you with the charges once the company stops paying.

Well, your brother is a lawyer, so not sure why you're asking us this :silly:, but I would definitely let your insurance company handle their insurance company. If it were a fender bender or something that might be one thing, but with your car totaled I would definitely make sure you have a pro involved start to finish.

I got hit by an 18 wheeler years ago in a parking lot and from the word go their insurance company tried to **** me at every turn. Literally seconds after the accident. Ended up going to arbitration w/ my insurance company. They ended up paying after months of silliness.

that dweeb failed all of his ambulance chaser classes.... but he is always the first call for constitutional law questions

Archived