Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Update: Just got UGLY

Rat_Boy

If I had the choice between Warren Sapp in his prime and Champ Bailey in his prime (although that hasn't even happened yet) I'd take Sapp, I'll always take the lineman all things being equal, but that doesn't mean you disregard the importance of a top corner back. There is a reason a lot of teams have gone DB crazy in the draft the last few years, good ones are hard to find and when you have one you should try to hold on, not start throwing around vague threats about taking it or leaving it or downplaying the importance of a top corner. For the record I think the most important pieces for a great D are the DLine and the CBs, but if you are deficient anywhere on the field teams will exploit it all day long

Easy fellas, don't be so quick to put Champ in the same category as Sean "God Wants Me to Make More Money" Gilbert or Big Fatty Wilkinson yet. The reports of the details of Champ's offer may have been wrong....wouldn't be the first time the WP screwed up. I got this from the Warpath this morning....

Bailey's Agent: Report Inaccurate

By Warpath Staff -- Posted Aug 19, 2003

Count on this: Redskins corner Champ Bailey won't be re-signing any time soon, not unless Washington's offer increases significantly. And, his agent says, don't believe the numbers that have been made public.

''The information reported was grossly inaccurate,'' Bailey's agent Jack Reale said this afternoon.

The Washington Post reported that the Redskins had made Bailey an offer with a $14.75 million signing bonus. Which would be great except for this: the actual signing bonus is around $7 million and, another source said, the deal is backloaded.

Bailey has until Friday to mull over the first offer, but that will be rejected. Bailey is not commenting on the negotiations, but he did say today that he won't stop negotiations once the season starts. He wants to be one of the NFL's highest paid defensive players and average $7.5 million per season. That wouldn't come close to happening with the first offer.

Reale also said he's disappointed the figures were made public.

''Keeping it private would represent the least amount of distraction to the team, the player and the fans,'' Reale said. ''It seems that others felt the need to thrust this into the limelight.''

The Redskins have maintained all along that they plan to re-sign Bailey. But they also opened negotiations with tackle Jon Jansen and running back Stephen Davis in the same fashion, by making figures public that weren't fully accurate. They eventually got deals with both players, but they'd be wise to change their strategy with Bailey. We know this: the Redskins are gambling heavily if they don't.

Gee....lets see....Washington Post.....or Champ's agent.....

hmmm....thats really a tough one. He doesn't want the numbers made public because they are obscene. And when he and his player reject even obscene offers, he doesn't want the public knowing it.

Champ's 'counteroffer':

'Double the original signing bonus I requested. Oh, and I'm gonna be needing Dan Snyder's wife at the Key Bridge Marriott this Friday night.'

We have over two weeks for this to work itself out. Give Champ this much, he has been here for several years, wallowed in mediocrity, and has seen the money that all the FA's have signed for here. He deserves more than the FA's, period. He just doesn't deserve double. He also needs to completely shut down his side of the field. He is not going to get the offensive touches (he SHOULD get 20 snaps a game as a WR...no kick returning) so he needs to elevate his defensive performance even higher.

First off, Poidog, thanks for posting the Warpath story. Thats an interesting twist. But, are they trying to say that Snyder actually offered a $7M bonus? NO way he offered that little, especially after he gave Coles $13M.

Of course Reale is pissed the numbers the numbers were made public because all of us are screaming about how 14.75 is good enough and 18 is too high. They are losing the PR war.

I think the SB was structured to be two tier..... half due immediately, yet paid in installments, and the second half after the first year of the contract in the form of a roster bonus or something. In other words, the team wanted to safeguard itself from having Champ suffer a devastating career ending injury this year by making the SB two-fold, half now.... and half next year and labeled a "roster bonus" or something.

Yeah, I'm almost willing to franchise him and let someone take him. I agree he's a great CB already but look at what we'd be left with...

Smoot and Bauman with some serviceable backups. And the money to shore up the DL. You can probably get 2-3 solid Defensive starters for that money.

Look at the Skins vs. good teams in this league. None of them end up spending gazillions of dollars on 4 or 5 guys...they usually have a bunch of guys in the moderate salary range.

Anyway, my point is that our D would be better overall if we traded in Champ for 2 or 3 starters....

I know the negotiations just started but if Champ presses for the $18 SB let him go, the only defesive player that is worth that would be Ray Lewis thats all. I do think in the end it will be around 15 to 16 million, which is still a lot but worth it.

I would certainly let him go for 2 1st round picks, I agree with most of the posters that say other positions have more impact. I believe championships begin with the defensive line, and overall that is by far our weakest link, both in pass rush & run stopping. I would be very pleased if we took a DE and a DT in the first round next year, and picked up a 3rd quality lineman as a free agent. Without Champ's salary, we could afford to pay them. I hope that we do stand firm with our offer.

Well, over in bigD we gave Newman $13 million bonus (with an option also involved). You guys just gave Coles $13mil and he really only had 1 break out year. Champ has proven himself since day 1 with you guys and is probably looking for a $15.5-$17.5 mil bonus I would imagine.

A CB does not make a defense. LBs and the DL make a defense. If we get a solid DL that can put pressure on the QB, we'll be fine without Champ. (ex:Tampa)

------------------------------------------

huh???bad example.take a hard look at there D.it's strength is it's dlines pressure & the secondary playing the cover2.u need good corners/great safeties to make it work.they regularily replace the LB corps other than brooks(def. mvp),& get consistent results

Wow, how quickly the tune has changed in skinsnation. Draft picks for Champ is now a better option?

You'll give a WR with one good year a $13 mill signing bonus but won't fork over $18 mill for arguably the best CB in the league? :doh:

Pay attention, NYC. 55 million bucks is a hell of a generous offer. If he doesn't want it, why cry over spilled milk? Take what you get and move on.

For examples of crying over spilled milk, refer to just about every article concerning the jets offseason written by the NY post.

~Bang

Archived